What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Just wondering

mr.brunch

Veteran
Depends on the cut I would imagine.
It ain’t all about numbers though.... very high thc can also be boring and tasteless. Think Single malt scotch vs 80% bargain brand vodka.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I totally agree. Unless you need a lab test with a big number to sell your cannabis, thc percentage has nothing to do with quality of effect.

For me the combination of cannabinoids is what makes pot potent for me. Take a sativa like Vietnam Black. What is the thc percentage? 8-12% maybe? Too potent for me, trippy wigged out soaring high.

I've smoked elite high thc cuts and while they have their place, I prefer a high quality effect over a shovel to the face couch locked boring stone.

To each their own, that's why there is something out there for everyone.

Ghost train haze
Original Glue
Cookies and hybrids
Chemdawg/OG/Diesel and hybrids.
Chiquita banana

Those are the place to start for high thc varieties.

bestothebest

If you want high thc and killer effect, I'd look to Karmas Headbanger. Highly regarded and can get up there for thc, along with good records in other areas... Structure, taste etc

Spaventa

Veteran
I had some Ghost train haze sent over from holland, expertly grown and everything but didn't seem noticeably stronger than the G13 haze I also received. Strongest Ive ever smoked that wasn't couchy, that was a pure THC buzz, was the NL#5xHaze my friend found after a lot of searching expensive beans from Sensi Seeds. It was that level of strong that makes you not want to smoke it. You felt so utterly confused and deranged, it was what insanity must feel like. It wasn't incensey so he binned it eventually.
The other strong ones Ive remembered were more heavy stoned and indicative of higher secondary cannabinoids as opposed to high THC.

Kaskadian

Veteran
Strongest Ive ever smoked that wasn't couchy, that was a pure THC buzz, was the NL#5xHaze my friend found after a lot of searching expensive beans from Sensi Seeds. It was that level of strong that makes you not want to smoke it. You felt so utterly confused and deranged, it was what insanity must feel like. It wasn't incensey so he binned it eventually.

I don't blame him for binning it; that sounds awful!

Chasing high numbers seems to be what a lot of the commercial growers are after today (a product of legalization) rather than selecting strains for the best effect, taste, etc. I'm not saying this is the only goal of commercial growers, but living in a legal state I can say it feels like a lot of commercial growers are in this d**k measuring contest to see who can get the highest numbers on their flowers.

Personally I think it's a waste of time/effort, but to each is own and if that makes some people happy more power to em'.

WelderDan

Veteran
Forget THC percentage. There is more to potency than just THC, because there are other components that contribute to potency. What may seem "meh" to one person may well devastate another. Your personal body chemistry plays into it more than most people understand.

thal

The strongest strains I have had tested were in the mid 30s, that's after converting the THCA to THC.

I will echo what others have said and say that THC is clearly it the only factor, as these strains are strong but don't hit me like the Jack Herer or NL5 x Haze that some friends grew. Those strains had super strong and super complex highs but I doubt they would test pass 25%.

Last edited:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi.

A higher THC % doesn't mean necessarily a more powerful weed once you smoke it. There are interactions among THC, CBD (if it's present), CBN, THCV, other cannabinoids and compounds as terpenes which make the equation not so easy as stablish the THC percentage.

What I say and what I have said on more than one occasion in this forum ...

When it is attributed to a variety of marijuana a high amount in THC, however the order that it is, that is higher in percentage than so-called standard (3% -4% or so) it's wanting to attribute to that high content of THC the supreme "high".

I have a Mexican friend that in Guadalajara gave me to smoke a joint herb from the Jalisco highland. The Mary He had was full of coconuts (seeds), it was dirty (bad manicured) and when he took the chunks still smoking and smelled the olive of a coconut he had left when rolled the joint.

At the first puff I gave to that rattletrap I felt a rush I did not feel years ago so strong. A second fuff and my head was above the tree under which we were sitting. "Cuate, what 'subidote' (high) I have! Where'd you get this 'carrujo', bastard?" I asked my friend.

He said what I have already said, it was from the Jalisco Highland. There they grow throwing the seeds in the bush at random, where they fall, and watered little and very occasionally, leaving their growth and flowering random to the Nature.

"Damn, bros, she socks the bitch!" I repeated. My friend laughed and said to me: "Is that you in Europe are accustomed to smoke pure, chemical puritita and this herb is natural, Cuate". You have many skunk and much indoor, nutrients, relative humidity equipment, ventilation, lighting, controlled seeds, feminized ... Nothing, it's only pure chemistry. "

"Okay, pure chemistry, but that makes raise the percentage of THC and its psychoactive effect is higher right?" I told him.

"Well, no, bros. That makes the divine seedling lose its natural harmony. That balance between the percentage content of THC, CBD, CBN, CBG and other cannabinoids break only benefit of increased THC, which is the believing that seeks more psychoactive."

"Well, that's what counts right?" I insisted. "It is not, motherfucker. That what really sets is that harmonious whole plant, because although it contains only a percentage of 3% THC, it is combined in perfect balance with other psychoactive plant components," he explained patiently .

Yet he added: "That buzz you say, leave them to you half asleep and your kids stunned in front of the TV or video games, leverages reluctantly activity. These chemical herbs not provide the joy of marijuana grown under natural conditions." .

After four hours we end the evening without ever smoke another rattletrap, chatting animatedly, going to eat abundantly, always with the buzz, the "high" that never seemed to go away. What fucking good jalisqueña grass! And I have proved how right was my friend from Guadalajara.

'Salu2' (Greetings)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6928675&postcount=459