What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

USA strikes Syria again

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Wow... there's so much wrong with that. Not the article, but globalresearch.ca. As for the article, even I can invent shit you might believe (and some will absolutely). Especially if it's anti-something. Like a round earth.

Globalresearch is an "anti-Western" website that can't distinguish between serious analysis and discreditable junk — and so publishes both. It's basically the moonbat equivalent to Infowars or WND. If there's a western RT (Russia Today) equivalent, this is it.

I challenge anyone to show me ONE article that doesn't feed anti jewish or anti-western governments, or even deflates a conspiracy or ANYKIND.

If you believe anything on that site, you're being spoon fed communist pablum.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Globalresearch

it's very convenient way to deny facts to dismiss the messenger. many good investigative journalists write for global research or have their stuff shared there.

when the western powers are engaged in a massive regime change operation including a huge information war, you have to go to alternative media to get the anti regime change side of the story. the msm never break with the military industrial complex, not untill public opinion changes. and they do all they can to stop public opinion changing. thats why free speech is so vital and you don't hardly get that in the msm anymore.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it might be hard to accept, but the US is on the wrong side of history in Syria. leaving would be the first good step since they invaded and occupied it.

igrowone

Veteran
it might be hard to accept, but the US is on the wrong side of history in Syria. leaving would be the first good step since they invaded and occupied it.

as little as i've cared for the usa moves in the region
pulling out unilaterally is not a great move either
especially with the perception that it was done with few considerations for consequences
historical precedence isn't good

White Beard

Wow... there's so much wrong with that. Not the article, but globalresearch.ca. As for the article, even I can invent shit you might believe (and some will absolutely). Especially if it's anti-something. Like a round earth.

Globalresearch is an "anti-Western" website that can't distinguish between serious analysis and discreditable junk — and so publishes both. It's basically the moonbat equivalent to Infowars or WND. If there's a western RT (Russia Today) equivalent, this is it.

I challenge anyone to show me ONE article that doesn't feed anti jewish or anti-western governments, or even deflates a conspiracy or ANYKIND.

If you believe anything on that site, you're being spoon fed communist pablum.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Globalresearch
I feel exactly the same way about Russia Today. Back in the early days of Fukushima I kept a close eye on them, because they were one of the few sources covering it. Over time, I noticed that they frequently, consistently reported in a way that made the US look bad, and once I noticed it, I realized it was pervasive in their ‘journalism’.

I’ve been aware of my country’s history of very bad choices and know that as a nation we have turned a blind eye to incredible hypocrisy, so I think it says something that I consider RT to be actively engaged in anti-US propaganda.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
as little as i've cared for the usa moves in the region
pulling out unilaterally is not a great move either
especially with the perception that it was done with few considerations for consequences
historical precedence isn't good

no one can tell the future, but i have been following this very closely for quite a while now and feel i know quite a lot about the situation as seen by all the different sides in the conflict and i'm sure the US was not an influence for good in Syria. them leaving will force the Kurds to reunite with the Syrian government (already posted enough about why thats a must). already now the SSA is sending troops to be ready to take over the border posts. together they will clean out the last isis groups easy.

in the end Trump said during his campaign that he wanted to get out of Syria, it was part of his election promises. it seems the generals and advisors didnt want to do it and kept stalling him again and again. but in the end, he was elected, not mad dog Matis or Kelly. but he will turn out to be right about this. the US presence was illegal under international law and it was prolonging the instability.

once there is a real comprehensive peace, they wil have an election with international observers and that will decide the future president of Syria.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
I feel exactly the same way about Russia Today. Back in the early days of Fukushima I kept a close eye on them, because they were one of the few sources covering it. Over time, I noticed that they frequently, consistently reported in a way that made the US look bad, and once I noticed it, I realized it was pervasive in their ‘journalism’.

I’ve been aware of my country’s history of very bad choices and know that as a nation we have turned a blind eye to incredible hypocrisy, so I think it says something that I consider RT to be actively engaged in anti-US propaganda.

of course they are, just like cnn is active in anti Russian propaganda, thats the whole point, you can't believe any one side anymore, you have to take in all the propaganda and then use logical deduction and occam's razzor plus the evidence of your eyes.

White Beard

it's very convenient way to deny facts to dismiss the messenger. many good investigative journalists write for global research or have their stuff shared there.
All well and good, but that ‘article’ is scurrilous. That’s not information, it’s a political beatdown. There’s no ‘there’ there...

White Beard

St. Phatty said:
UPDATE - found the picture that caught my attention at first -

View Image

That is one unique PDA.
Look at his hand, he’s gripping her arm, while her hand is flat as if she doesn’t want to touch him or is resisting the impulse to push him away.

Personally, I’d rather kiss a chicken...

White Beard

The tragedy of Syria is that all the sides seem to be the wrong side: the people who were trying to LIVE in the middle of this shit are not served.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
All well and good, but that ‘article’ is scurrilous. That’s not information, it’s a political beatdown. There’s no ‘there’ there...

if you invade a country and occupy it's oil and gas resources without a UN mandate and without having a self defense justification, maybe a political beat down is in order eh?

so tell me what did she get wrong? which accusations or description of events do you take issue with in that article. it's a long piece covering 16 years or so of history, is it all a lie? is half a lie? what makes it scurrilous? i remember most of the events it describes. she makes some assumptions about intent, but it does bring you context that is not reported on in the msm and reminds you of what went before, ie axes of evil speech.

White Beard

no one can tell the future, but i have been following this very closely for quite a while now and feel i know quite a lot about the situation as seen by all the different sides in the conflict and i'm sure the US was not an influence for good in Syria. them leaving will force the Kurds to reunite with the Syrian government (already posted enough about why thats a must). already now the SSA is sending troops to be ready to take over the border posts. together they will clean out the last isis groups easy.

in the end Trump said during his campaign that he wanted to get out of Syria, it was part of his election promises. it seems the generals and advisors didnt want to do it and kept stalling him again and again. but in the end, he was elected, not mad dog Matis or Kelly. but he will turn out to be right about this. the US presence was illegal under international law and it was prolonging the instability.

once there is a real comprehensive peace, they wil have an election with international observers and that will decide the future president of Syria.
Assad will have a lot to say about that, I’m sure

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
he won't have a choice, his latest term will run out sooner or later and he has agreed to this in principle. the thing is he might actually win free and fair elections now, this war has made many average Syrians see him as their saviour, the one man holding Syria in the face of the whole world kind of thing, and if it ends up looking like the SSA won, he will probably win the election, which is why the opposition has been against this idea from the beginning, even now if a spot election was held, its very possible he would genuinely win. but the plan is to draft a new constitution and then have the elections.

White Beard

if you invade a country and occupy it's oil and gas resources without a UN mandate and without having a self defense justification, maybe a political beat down is in order eh?

so tell me what did she get wrong? which accusations or description of events do you take issue with in that article. it's a long piece covering 16 years or so of history, is it all a lie? is half a lie? what makes it scurrilous? i remember most of the events it describes. she makes some assumptions about intent, but it does bring you context that is not reported on in the msm and reminds you of what went before, ie axes of evil speech.
The language and POV of the the thing: dogmatic, bombastic, certain and absolutist. I don’t trust that language, I don’t trust those who dabble in demonology by making cages out of words. The “progressive working class analysis” is no such thing, for example.

People who write things like this are unreliable narrators: their “context” is undependable *and* self-serving.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
your saying it's one sided, thats true. i'm saying it's not necessarily a bad thing to see what the other side has to say, we have had enough examples of our so called trusted msm lieing us into war, that i want to read things from the opposite side too. too easy to be misled if you limit yourself to msm sources on either side of the spectrum.

what i still haven't read is where exactly the article was wrong. dogmatic, bombastic and certain doesn't mean wrong, or not factual. yes she is acting as a pundit, so some of it is interpretation, but thats clear as you read it.

anyway, some good news for the Syrian government....long isolation by arab neighbors is ending. they see the writing on the wall, their regime change plan has failed. (i hope :D)

UAE re-opens embassy in Syria as Arab leaders begin to welcome Assad back from the cold

https://news.yahoo.com/uae-apos-opens-embassy-syria-111311851.html

The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has re-opened its embassy in Syria, taking a major public step towards welcoming Bashar al-Assad back into the fold of Arab leaders after years of estrangement.

Syria was suspended from the Arab League shortly after the Syrian war broke out in 2011 and most Arab states closed their embassies in Damascus in protest at Assad’s violent crackdown against the opposition.

However, as it has becoming increasingly clear that Assad is likely to stay in power and prevail over downtrodden rebel forces, Syria’s Arab neighbours have begun moving to restore diplomatic ties with the former pariah.

The re-opening of the UAE’s embassy in Damascus is the most significant public step so far towards Assad’s rehabilitation in the Arab world. The move is likely to have been coordinated with Saudi Arabia, the UAE’s more powerful neighbour and close ally.

Syria state media reported that Bahrain may re-open its own embassy in Damascus next week.

One complicating factor is the role of Iran, which has strongly supported the Syrian regime throughout the seven-year war but is considered a major enemy by Saudi Arabia and its Gulf Arab allies.

In a statement, the UAE presented the embassy re-opening as a part of an effort to bring Syria back into the orbit of its fellow Arab states as opposed to its Persian Iranian allies.

The UAE said said it was keen to “restore relations between the two brotherly countries to their normal course” and wanted to enhance “the Arab role” in supporting Syria’s independence and sovereignty.

“This move will also prevent the dangers of regional interference in Syrian affairs,” the UAE foreign ministry said, in a veiled reference to Iran’s role in Syria.

The UAE helped finance some anti-Assad rebels in the early stages of the the war but played a smaller role than Qatar, Saudi Arabia or Turkey. Much of the Gulf funding for rebel groups has now dried up.

Jalel Harchaoui, a lecturer in geopolitics at Versailles university, said both the UAE and Egypt had grown sceptical about overthrowing Assad because they saw him as a bulwark against their shared Islamist enemies.

“As Assad’s survival in Damascus is now an indisputable fact of life, and as the West’s 2012 bet appears as a miserable failure, the ideological stance of the UAE and Egypt is being largely vindicated. Both states will now lead the campaign consisting in having the rest of the Arab world embrace that reality,” he said.

Omar Bashir, the president of Sudan, this month became the first Arab leader to travel to Damascus since 2011. His visit was hailed by regime media as sign that Syria was being welcomed back in from the cold.

There also appears to be increasing momentum for Syria to be re-admitted into the Arab League. Ahmed Aboul Gheit, the Egyptian who serves as the League’s secretary general, said earlier this year that Syria’s suspension had been hasty. The next meeting of the Arab League will take place in Tunisia in March.

Thursday also saw the first commercial flight from Damascus to Tunisia since 2011. "This trip is the reopening of tourism links between Syria and Tunisia," said Moataz Tarbin, the head of the tourism firm that organised the flight.

Syrian state media said earlier this week that Major General Ali Mamlouk, one of Assad’s top security officials, had visited Cairo to discuss terrorism issues with his Egyptian counterparts.

The UAE’s charge d’affaires at the embassy resumed work on Thursday as the UAE’s red, black, and green flag was hoisted for the first time in seven years. Syria regime media showed last-minute construction work to restore the UAE’s state seal on the embassy’s outer wall.

“The UAE expressed its wish that peace, security and stability would prevail throughout Syria,” the foreign ministry said.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
i still don't get why the most ardent, unconditional, defenders of Israel here, were complaining that i removed a pic with hateful rhetoric on it about killing all the Jewish people. then in the next post they complain about someone else being anti zionism.

does that make sense to you?

there needs to be a difference between being anti semitic and being anti certain actions the state of Israel does. but that doesn't mean we should allow actual hateful rhetoric. so i'm gonna be taking that pic down again, whether you like it or not. it goes way beyond free speech to call for the killing of anyone. if you thinks thats an abuse of power i can't help you.

Holy G, in Germany we call it "Storm in a glas of water", the picture is pure ironic! A stupid guy with a protest sign, who can´t write Jews and wrote Juice.

Kurtis Blow-The Juice :biggrin:

What do you say when you're bustin' loose
JUICE,JUICE
It's good for the gander and chilly for the goose
JUICE,JUICE
Breakin' out from that weekday noose
JUICE,JUICE
Gettin' down on the one and up on the deuce
JUICE.JUICE

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
If someone has a problem with any nationality/ethnicity/race/sex/creed/ religion/cult/ political persuasion or colour - then lets hear about it - and why.

Why should anything we discuss be 'out of bounds?' - since the whole premise of what we call civilization is based on reasoning and logical debate - to be able to come to accurate and enlightened conclusions on a multitude of topics.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Holy G, in Germany we call it "Storm in a glas of water", the picture is pure ironic! A stupid guy with a protest sign, who can´t write Jews and wrote Juice.

Kurtis Blow-The Juice :biggrin:

What do you say when you're bustin' loose
JUICE,JUICE
It's good for the gander and chilly for the goose
JUICE,JUICE
Breakin' out from that weekday noose
JUICE,JUICE
Gettin' down on the one and up on the deuce
JUICE.JUICE

i guess ill make the storm in the tea pot even bigger by not letting it go, lol.

that pic was a joke for you, but others looking at this site could make the case that allowing it up is a sign that we agree with the sentiment. so i feel removing it was for the best. basically free speech is limited to the point where you call for death of anyone on a religious or ethnic etc basis. discus the Israelis, or anyone else all you want, as Gypsy said, but you can't call for killing Jews or anyone else. at least i think thats the line. also maybe start a new thread if that your stick.

BTW...

just saw a report on yahoo that the SSA has now entered Manbij, looks like the Kurds have agreed to work with the SSA to protect the traditional Kurdish lands of Hasaka from the Turks.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
If the global players are playing, then I have to take a side. In all honesty, every side is fucked up. Only one is more fucked up than the other. I like being able to speak my mind, spit on the sidewalk and not have a "social credit score"
The Social Credit System is a national reputation system being developed by the Chinese government. By 2020, it is intended to standardise the assessment of citizens' and businesses' economic and social reputation, or 'credit'.
The system is a form of mass surveillance which uses big data analysis technology. The government of modern China has also maintained systems of paper records on individuals and households such as the dàng'àn and hùkǒu systems which officials might refer to, but did not provide the same degree and rapidity of feedback and consequences for Chinese citizens as the integrated electronic system because of the much greater difficulty of aggregating paper records for rapid, robust analysis.
From the Chinese government Plan for Implementation, the SCS is due to be fully implemented by 2020. Once implemented the system will manage the rewards, or punishments, of citizens on the basis of their economic and personal behavior. Some types of punishments include: flight ban, rail ban, exclusion from private schools, slow internet connection, exclusion from high prestige work, exclusion from hotels, and registration on a public blacklist.

My morals make me cringe at the things the west is doing and has done. But what the other guys are doing? Really? How can I vote for them?

Personally, if I were running the show, I'd bail on every war and let them iron it out internally. Let the strongest survive, even if it means total ethnic cleansing. As sick and heartless as it sounds, it's none of our business. But to do that, you have to make sure that you'll nuke the first foreign country to try and influence or step over someone's border. US? Get out of the Middle East, Europe, and totally forget about the "Pivot to Asia". Go home already and take care of your country. Russia? You too, get the fuck out. China? Bail on Africa... or else. Canada? Well.. just keep growing weed because the news would get boring as shit.

I said "if I were running the show", what I should have said is "We need a god to run it, but ours is an absentee god. So if I were..."

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
If the global players are playing, then I have to take a side. In all honesty, every side is fucked up. Only one is more fucked up than the other. I like being able to speak my mind, spit on the sidewalk and not have a "social credit score"

My morals make me cringe at the things the west is doing and has done. But what the other guys are doing? Really? How can I vote for them?

Personally, if I were running the show, I'd bail on every war and let them iron it out internally. Let the strongest survive, even if it means total ethnic cleansing. As sick and heartless as it sounds, it's none of our business. But to do that, you have to make sure that you'll nuke the first foreign country to try and influence or step over someone's border. US? Get out of the Middle East, Europe, and totally forget about the "Pivot to Asia". Go home already and take care of your country. Russia? You too, get the fuck out. China? Bail on Africa... or else. Canada? Well.. just keep growing weed because the news would get boring as shit.

I said "if I were running the show", what I should have said is "We need a god to run it, but ours is an absentee god. So if I were..."

wise words, i wouldn't want to live under president Putin, or the Chinese system.

but i wonder if we can't still trade but agree to keep our militaries for self defense only. let the business men trade with each other, but keep the armies bombs and planes at home. but thats cloud cookoo land, the US won't give up it's 800 known military bases in the world, not until the Americans themselves decide to anyway.

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
It makes me a little bit dizzy with the changing loyalities in Syria? SAA with FSA against the Kurds, now the Kurds asking for support by the SAA? It´s a fucking shithole, who is paying for all the weapons and ammunition on every side. So sad as it is, I don´t care no more about the war down there, shall the "pagans" kill each other,...

Latest posts

Latest posts