What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

how to add terpenes to my old weed ?

hi i am wondering how can i add Terpenes to my weed
i could buy 1ml of OG Kush terpenes profiles but now i do not know how to add it.

shoud i spray it on them??
pure or diluite in what?

how much weed can i "do" with just 1ml ?

thx

I've done it by filling a gallon ziploc half full of buds, laid on it's side. Then I put a few drops near the top of the bag so that it doesn't touch the bag, and fill the bag with air so that there is a little puddle of terpenes sitting next to, but not touching, a pile of weed. Let it sit at ~90°F for a few hours, mixing it every once in a while without letting anything directly touch the puddle. The terpenes will evaporate and recondensethemselves throughout the buds. Make sure to cool it down before opening the bag or you'll lose a lot of your terpenes as a vapor. I'm sure there are better methods, this is just what worked for me. You could try a tiny perfume atomizer, which makes tiny picoliter sized droplets, but you might want to wait til you're up in the 10mL terpene range. 1mL of pure terpenes can flavor up anywhere from 10 to 400g of flowers, giving you somewhere between 0.25 and 10% terpenes. Good traditionally dried and cured bud usually contains less than 1.5% terpenes. Much more than that and it can be overpowering. With concentrates, people often make their solution up to 50% terpenes to make it more viscous but that's way too much, IMO and makes it taste like perfume. There are also nearly flavorless terpenes, such as those sold by TrueTerpenes, which you can mix with your flavored terpenes to get the viscosity you want for pen cartridges without having to use glycol and without overdoing the flavor.

WishDoctor

I see it now f'n shady people are gonna spray crappy unscented kush of which there is a ton of in the market, with these fake terps and jack the tax on their custies, and in the end karma will get you.

Some people will always do unscrupulous things. But I wouldn't mind giving all small bag out my personal stash a little spritz just for some variety, come summertime and we're down to small buds that still have plenty of cannabinoids but have just lost the high notes of their flavor.

I've done it by filling a gallon ziploc half full of buds, laid on it's side. Then I put a few drops near the top of the bag so that it doesn't touch the bag, and fill the bag with air so that there is a little puddle of terpenes sitting next to, but not touching, a pile of weed. Let it sit at ~90°F for a few hours, mixing it every once in a while without letting anything directly touch the puddle. The terpenes will evaporate and recondensethemselves throughout the buds. Make sure to cool it down before opening the bag or you'll lose a lot of your terpenes as a vapor. I'm sure there are better methods, this is just what worked for me. You could try a tiny perfume atomizer, which makes tiny picoliter sized droplets, but you might want to wait til you're up in the 10mL terpene range. 1mL of pure terpenes can flavor up anywhere from 10 to 400g of flowers, giving you somewhere between 0.25 and 10% terpenes. Good traditionally dried and cured bud usually contains less than 1.5% terpenes. Much more than that and it can be overpowering. With concentrates, people often make their solution up to 50% terpenes to make it more viscous but that's way too much, IMO and makes it taste like perfume. There are also nearly flavorless terpenes, such as those sold by TrueTerpenes, which you can mix with your flavored terpenes to get the viscosity you want for pen cartridges without having to use glycol and without overdoing the flavor.

Wow THX for ur detailed infos, but one question: at 90f degrees does all terpenes evaporate? I remember higher temperatures.
I use already in my concentrates and i dont like too much perfumes, so i add very little drops....but i was just wondering how to add on dry herb in a efficient way.

I see it now f'n shady people are gonna spray crappy unscented kush of which there is a ton of in the market, with these fake terps and jack the tax on their custies, and in the end karma will get you.

Yea...it is fully of fake terps

Karma will get no worry

jamaican bud

gonna atleast give it a try

gonna atleast give it a try

Hey question, is this possible with flowers that your planning to smoke in a paper? I'm noticing that everyone is vaping the flowers after adding the terps.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi i am wondering how can i add Terpenes to my weed
i could buy 1ml of OG Kush terpenes profiles but now i do not know how to add it.

shoud i spray it on them??
pure or diluite in what?

how much weed can i "do" with just 1ml ?

thx

Consider the cigar humidor, with a perforated lid can, and containing in that case water, included in a Spanish cedar box containing cigars, to maintain humidity.

Maybe a similar arrangement, using a cotton ball soaked in the highly aromatic terpenes, inside a perforated can, inside a jar of buds.

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
check this out before you burn terpenes: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=351896

An interesting followup to the PSU study in Terpenes and Testing magazine, May/June 2018 issue, showing that terpene pyrolysis doesn't happen below 377C/710F, so dabbing with a controlled temperature electric nail below that temperature doesn't present those dangers.

I did have an interesting experience with a compact torch heated quartz rig handed to me ready to go. I couldn't tell by looking how hot it was, only that it wasn't red, and when I held it close to my nose and upper lip it didn't seem overly hot, so I dabbed and the dab immediately combusted in a single flash.

I think I would have noticed how hot it was near my nose and lip with a larger rig, but to the point. Unless you know what temperature you are dabbing at, you are vulnerable to terpene pyrolysis, and attendant health threats.

HWY36

I've been seeing this douchebag move lately. When I smell a bag of weed with terps added, it usually smells like what it is....a no nose bag of weed with terps sprayed in that smell like lemons or perfume. Even real marijuana derived terpenes added to distillate don't replicate the taste of weed imo, at least for now. Maybe the technology will get there eventually.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I've been seeing this douchebag move lately. When I smell a bag of weed with terps added, it usually smells like what it is....a no nose bag of weed with terps sprayed in that smell like lemons or perfume.

This is a doucebag move as it reeks of deception. Machine butchered outdoor mids have flooded most places, and this is the result to try and move crap. There is no need to spray terps on properly grown, dried, trimmed and stored flowers.

Even real marijuana derived terpenes added to distillate don't replicate the taste of weed imo, at least for now. Maybe the technology will get there eventually.

I am not sure about how they are extracting, but it is likely that they are losing some of the strain elements (terpenes, flavonoids and others) in a purification process. My vacuum oven terpene extractions produced an essential oil that smelled and tasted EXACTLY as the strain, but this was raw and probably not fit for commercial sale. The problem is that the yield is very low (1-2 ml per 100 grams of flowers) and thus not economically viable, however when combined with proper shatter produces a McLaren-level of extract...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't smoke anymore, beyond sharing a ritual toke offered by others, so haven't done the smell test on what is being offered in dispensaries locally. I have checked out some of what is being offered at different shops in shatter and live resin, so have some insight there.

Aside from differences in quality, I've noted two things. The first is some are rife with added terpenes, and the second is that at least one had obvious mystery oil in it when I vaporized it.

I just pass on the obvious added terpene offerings, and returned the mystery oil laden sample and asked to talk to the manager.

The expert Bud Tender explained to me that the manager wasn't present, but he could help me, and then preceded to lecture me on different quality levels and the different price ranges.

When I told him that there was no tolerance for mystery oil at any price, and if he didn't understand that, then I definitely needed to talk to the manager, he offered to replace it.

I replied that I expected them to replace it, but I also wanted to insure that the manager was made aware of the quality issue. He made that commitment, but my take is that it won't happen, so I haven't been back to that dispensary.

I couldn't pickup on the mystery oil by smell, but the adulterated samples thus far have been so egregious that only a rank amateur would be fooled, leading me to my thoughts on beer and wine.

There are budgets and tastes for both the micro brews and estate bottled grand crus, as well as Budweiser Light, and jug wines.

I pass rather than drink BL and prefer expensive wines, but note some of the best came out of a bota bag white water boating, which brings us to the concept of availability, demand, and presentation.

I also remember paying a premium for substandard lids on the black market, when that was all that was available. God bless the surfeit that now allows us to pick and choose.

Latest posts

Latest posts