What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydro containers health concerns

koles[cz]

Not sure if I'm posting to the right place in forum, but here's the question: do you guys care about the containers that you run hydroponics in?

Recently I was watching some aquaponics videos and sometimes people seem to be concerned about the materials of containers for their hydro systems. Sometimes they even recommend food-grade containers to build the systems with. I don't have chemical background but I can imagine that some stuff can go into the water and then into plants. I've seen hydro systems built of many different materials and I bet some of them weren't suitable fot the job (contamination of water).

This mainly aims to hydro, but may be related to growing in soil as well...

I'd like to know what you think, thanks!

R

Rageous8899

Well i only really run dwc in 3 then 5 gal buckets. (Not sure if ive had any better luck with the several different kinds i have laying around) but before i stick em in those i run them in folgers containers to start the rooting process. I guess it would be somethi g to examine while buying your resevoirs, tubing, pvc, etc if you were to build a rdwc or ebb setup. What are you running now ?

koles[cz]

Hey, I have just a 90 liter reservoir for water and pump in it that runs water through some tubing straignt to the pots with perlite that stand on the top of container (drip basically with water returning back to the reservoir).

My question was a general one, if I should worry about the materials the water reservoirs, buckets etc. are made of (different kinds of plastics)...