What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Manually flip-flopping

Bobby Boucher

Long story short, I want to leave my light(s) on 24/7 and move it (or them) between tents every 12 hours using some sort of either manual or automated beam and trolley system. To make things interesting though.. I'm only working with 5' of vertical clearance, so I want to figure out the best way I could implement cool tubes into the picture.

FWIW, I'm not really worried about the 12/12 signal my two 600s are leaving in my new smart meter.. I'm just.. kinda bored and in need of a new project. Thinking of running 600, 800, or 1000w. Nothing concrete yet except for my decision to take the plunge with the build and document the process with sketchup and my new gopro5 for anyone who might be interested.

I've got a ton of questions, most of which I'll likely figure out for myself in the coming days.. but I just thought I'd leave a heads up here, in case anyone has any threads they might suggest, or jokes they cared to crack off that bat.

:smoke out:

stoney917

i Am SoFaKiNg WeTod DiD
Veteran
I'm not quite sure I understand what your thinking, trying to do... but to start it doesn't sound like a good idea... beam / trolley system between tents moving fixtures hoods???
You want to move your hood build between tents???? They sell light rails but they are used to cover more space not move to another tent... I don't know how to make that work it would be impossible to light proof a system like that.. unless u are there everytime,... n if that's the case just unhang it n move it yourself but imo that would be ridiculous.... it would be cool to see u make a space aged device though...
Now what you want to do is a simple flip box, u have 2 hoods/bulbs per ballast the ballast runs 24 hrs but switches between hoods... they are easy to make n if your considering building sumthin with rails n beams ur capable of a flip box...
Good luck mang

n_d_ledz

I wouldnt ever suggest to somebody that instead of a timer for 12/12 it was better to just do it themselves. I believe the same logic applies here..... Firstly, can you guarantee you will be home at the proper schedule every day?

cravin morehead

Veteran
I've used an old garage door opener on a similar project before completely not related to growing or what you're talking about. I'm telling you because I'd like to see what you come up with. a very round about way to a simple solution. sort of rube goldberg-ish

cm

Bobby Boucher

I don't know how to make that work it would be impossible to light proof a system like that.. unless u are there everytime,... n if that's the case just unhang it n move it yourself but imo that would be ridiculous.

I hear ya.. FWIW though, I am home 24/7/365, and don't mind challenging myself a bit.

I wouldnt ever suggest to somebody that instead of a timer for 12/12 it was better to just do it themselves. I believe the same logic applies here....

I wouldn't have ever trusted myself to do it either, but it's been almost 4 years now of manually turning this burner on and off every 12 hours, every.. single.. day. My internal clock is SET. Wearing a casio doesn't hurt either. Even if I do wind up with an automated trolley system on a timer, I'll still have to sit there every day and wait for my lights to turn on and off for the burner. I open a propane pencil torch up to a pilot under a tank of water for co2. I don't like keeping 20 lb tanks in my house.

I've used an old garage door opener on a similar project before completely not related to growing or what you're talking about. I'm telling you because I'd like to see what you come up with. a very round about way to a simple solution. sort of rube goldberg-ish

I'm certain that the first revision will not be the last. Seems like one those things that's going to take a lot of tweaking/reinventing. I do have a garage door opener that I was thinking of putting to use. I just keep my garage door unhooked and open it by hand out of pure impatience.

All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. I'll put on my reading glasses and thinking cap and update once I have any ideas worth sharing or questions worth asking.

Speed of green

whatever you think up I'm sure it will cost nearly as much as a flop box, 2 new light fixtures and 2 hps bulbs.

Having a reliable consistent lighting schedule is paramount, its an aspect of this hobby i wouldn't DIY. If you want something to tinker with and tweak to perfection check out The VERTICAL section, Stacked cool tubes. You will definitely be able to increase yields and let your inner DIY'er go crazy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162128484227?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indoor-Grow...hash=item231c26ce4c:m:mKiCgzAPBsA2IdhSypHClgA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plantmax-HP...hash=item19f02b02ce:m:mcKKbClszxkOBhbNyiSskDg

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
I think you can do it man. It's simple if you live in house, and have the spirit to do it daily. I've done it once for a couple of weeks when I was younger. Just gotta be dedicated. Good luck man...

OP

EastCoast710

just get a flip flop.. what your thinking is just going to end up backfiring on yoru ass eventually. lol..

if your trying to grow in 2 tents.. with 1 ballast bulb and hood.. your going to need to move the hood every day 2 times a day.. and if your air cooling your lights that's a pain in the ass.. now.. if you buy a flip box.. and a extra hood and bulb.. u could flip it back and forth without the headaches..

and its cheap as fuck too get a flip box.. 100 bucks on ebay.. and your good to go . u could spend another 300 bucks .. and have a nice hood and bulb and flip box and be good to go

don't suggest to anyone to do this manually as most people have lives and shit to do its going to be impossible to get int here the same time every day 2 times a day to move shit.. lol. the only other thing I can think of is get a hood and bulb.. and manually plug in your hood instead of moving anything u just disconnect 1 and plug in the other.. I had to do this for a few weeks when my powerbox flip box broke.. and instead of buying a new flip I just bought a new ballast.. I need to get my powerbox flip box fixed.. I do have a CAP flip too.. but I don't use them anymore really.. I'm just going to start using it again now because I want to test so new genetics without having any hermis in my main production room.. so I'm prolly going to flip it back and forth to be able to use 1000w in my tester tent instead of a 400

Bobby Boucher

As goofy as it sounds, the idea is to try and eliminate electrical spikes and patterns altogether. I'm not like.. super paranoid considering I only grow a couple plants for myself in a pretty lax part of the world, but none the less, "better safe than sorry", right?. These new smart meters kinda scare me, tbh. The way I see it, I have already been manually opening and closing my propane torch every twelve hours for years on end. I have always had problems staying asleep for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so... over sleeping isn't really a thing for me.

There are a million and one reasons this isn't the soundest idea, and a ton of logistical obstacles. I hear that loud and clear. Impeccable timing and light proofing are paramount. I've learned all that the hard way, first hand. However I've seen people talking about this style of manual flip flopping being the "way of the future" with everything becoming digital and monitored. While I don't have my foil hat on quite yet, I still think that this would be a nice project to take on if not for the sake of unfounded paranoia, then purely as a learning experience. Something to tinker with. Throw some money at. Fail at a few times. Eventually throw in the burn pile. I'm bored.

cravin morehead

Veteran
Boredom has helped me create some cool things. If you're really that bored, make the lights stationary. Then make your tents move under the lights... Haha... Have fun bud

Cm

n_d_ledz

As goofy as it sounds, the idea is to try and eliminate electrical spikes and patterns altogether. I'm not like.. super paranoid considering I only grow a couple plants for myself in a pretty lax part of the world, but none the less, "better safe than sorry", right?. These new smart meters kinda scare me, tbh. The way I see it, I have already been manually opening and closing my propane torch every twelve hours for years on end. I have always had problems staying asleep for any longer than 20 minutes at a time so... over sleeping isn't really a thing for me.

There are a million and one reasons this isn't the soundest idea, and a ton of logistical obstacles. I hear that loud and clear. Impeccable timing and light proofing are paramount. I've learned all that the hard way, first hand. However I've seen people talking about this style of manual flip flopping being the "way of the future" with everything becoming digital and monitored. While I don't have my foil hat on quite yet, I still think that this would be a nice project to take on if not for the sake of unfounded paranoia, then purely as a learning experience. Something to tinker with. Throw some money at. Fail at a few times. Eventually throw in the burn pile. I'm bored.

No problem at all man. I understand this is your way and what works for you. Thats what its all about!

So lets talk space..... What kind of width you working with? Because on the simple side, of not moving ducting and such and no elec spikes at timed events, why not a simple swing arm with the pivot mounted between the rooms?
Barn door tracks are cool to work with also..

Bobby Boucher

I have basically unlimited length and width to work with. My crawlspace is like... 60'x20'x5', which is attached to a 1k square foot basement. Stays nice and cool.

n_d_ledz

Well, I did see on craigslist in my area, somebody giving away 2 garage door openers, working.

Using the barn door hangers you could build with a shared wall. Blast gate style door can split the light between rooms. Both rooms will require their own ducting with quick release connects on the cool tube setup so when you swap there is no ducting to split sides and both rooms will always have exhaust no matter light location.

Bobby Boucher

Haven't thought much about how to keep light in the "lights on" tent, but by keeping some double channel unistrut mounted to the ceiling joists by some trolleys, and the light suspended on the other end by a couple more trolleys, I could move the light and the strut out of the "lights out" tent altogether allowing for easy closure, and simply slide the light to the opposite end of the strut and push it in the other tent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.59.08 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.59.08 PM.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.56.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.56.24 PM.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.54.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 10.54.27 PM.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 9

Bobby Boucher

If I could mount a couple 8" inline fans accurately enough, exhausting out either end 24/7 into a return vent, I might be able to find a couple fittings that would accept the 8" cooltube without struggle, if the fan itself wont snuggly and easily accept it. Otherwise some large rubber hose clamps might be in order.

I know I'm probably beating a dead horse here, but.. again any input, positive, negative, inflammatory.. all is welcome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.04.24 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.04.24 AM.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 8

Bobby Boucher

My social life comes to me. I've travelled a million miles and met a million faces. I don't yearn to be out anymore. I'm an old retired boy. I do my athletic stuffs early early early in the am and then I'm home home to slumber and feed. I like to be home to protect my assets. No one has ever had the courage to rob me while I was home, but if I turn my back to grab a pack of cigarettes at the wrong time of day, I'll come home 10 min later to find all my shit missing. I live in a nice neighborhood, but there are fucking crack fiends on one of the block, and dopeheads on the other. Repeat offenders over the last 20 years, I'm sure, but like I said, never while anybody was home.

rykus

We use to buy two female and one male extension cord end and set two alarm clocks... turn off ballast and swap plugs... easy, cheap n all that... be a pain moving your whole light setup ...relays are easy to wire though...