What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

best way to get rid of spider mites

zapallo

Hey folks!
I have a big problem with spider mites. They appeared in my grow room last year, and i didnt worry too much because it was only in a few plants and the year was gettin over so, i let them grow. Also, i was just making seeds so i wasnt really interested on getting nice smokable flowers. This year i moved from my old appartment, but i used the same smart pots i was using last year (i think this may have been my biggest mistake), when the spider mites appeared.

Well, they came back, and now i really need them to leave. Do you have any recomendations? i already tried with neem oil and nothing happened, and i read the only effective killer for spider mites i could find here in Chile was Arañita which is a chemical acaricide containing Abamectin. My most affected plants have barely a month on flowering stage, do you think it would be too dangerous to use it now?
thanks!

R

Robrites

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Abamectin[/FONT]
Acute Toxicity to People and Other Mammals

Toxicity rating: Highly Toxic

captain planet

Veteran
From what I hear, avid is the only sure fire way to go.
Neem, pyrethin, hot pepper sprays all don't touch em

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And that's the attitude that led to such wide spread resistance to abamectin.

That and most people are terrible at getting 100% coverage, or start making "light" doses.

Essential oils w dr bronners soap as surfactant

Yep.

1% solution of insecticidal soap (2 tsp per litre)

Bronners may be hard to find in your locale, look for "potassium salts of fatty acids" on local soap brands.

This type of soap mixes poorly with hard water and can burn plants.

0.125% Peppermint oil (1/4tsp per litre)

Spray at lights out/dusk. Test and observe plants for phytotoxicity over a period of 72hrs when using new mixes.

Abamectin works (on contact and with slight residual as it is translaminar), but it is late and you would end up with too much residue in the plant.

Mites are stupid easy to deal with. If contact sprays fail, the fail is yours, not the spray solution.

zapallo

Thank you all for your help!!
I have some listerine already haha so i'm gonna try with that. About the ladybugs, it seems that they do a great job, but it's hard to find them here since it's almost winter and i'm living in an urban area, they are hard to see even in spring/summer :frown: About the abamectin, think im going to consider it has a last choice. Apparently it's not that harmful though, i found this and it says it wil degradate quickly as far as it is just a thin layer. Don't worry Mikell, if i use it i'm going to follow all the indications and cover the entire plant and pot with it, and probably use some soap as backup :tongue: i can get potassium soap, do u think it will be helpful?
Thank you all again :tiphat:

packerfan79

Veteran
I have kicked them with neem oil. It's a lot of work spray everything every 3 days for 21 days. Neem isn't a poison it works slowly but it works. they can't eat or reproduce, I tried lady bugs not a good way to get rid of spider mites, the ladybug needs to much moisture, so unless you want your room to feel like a swamp,and your buds to mold it doesn't work.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you all for your help!!
I have some listerine already haha so i'm gonna try with that. About the ladybugs, it seems that they do a great job, but it's hard to find them here since it's almost winter and i'm living in an urban area, they are hard to see even in spring/summer :frown: About the abamectin, think im going to consider it has a last choice. Apparently it's not that harmful though, i found this and it says it wil degradate quickly as far as it is just a thin layer. Don't worry Mikell, if i use it i'm going to follow all the indications and cover the entire plant and pot with it, and probably use some soap as backup :tongue: i can get potassium soap, do u think it will be helpful?
Thank you all again :tiphat:

The halflife from that link is for surface residue. Google "abamectin plant residue" and look for references to non surface degradation. It's quite a bit longer.

One user submitted results of testing after 180 days on another forum that still showed residual. Albeit less than 5ppm, but it shows you how half lives only give part of the picture.

Myclobutanil is a good example, with degradation commonly refered to as a "hockey stick" when graphed, re: a quick initial half life followed by slow breakdown of the remainder.

Food for thought. Your choices are your own, I prefer not to judge but simply provide accurate information.

Post the brand or more detailed explanation of the soap, but it sounds similar.

Buy something with spinosad. I prefer captain jacks deadbug brew. Last time I got spider mites ( dont take cuts from someone else..they always have bugs) I sprayed them with captain jacks 3 times total, and havent seen a spider mite in 2 years. Prior to finding out about spinosad, I tried azamax, regular neem oil plus several chemicals that should never go on pot. NONE worked very well and all left a few still alive. Spinosad killed them all. Last spray was cautionary I believe as I didnt see any signs but wanted to make sure they were gone.

packerfan79

Veteran
I tried spinosad didn't do shit, it did kick thrips in 1 application. once you get rid of them, don't take clones from anyone. it may be tempting to get the hot new cut, not worth it to me. there are tons of great seeds out there

Boyd Crowder

Teem MiCr0B35
azo
3n1
neem oil

in rotation

full coverage
as in full coverage
shit can get sticky
scrub w bleach between cycles
veg weekly scrubdowns and sprays every 14 days
full cov
like you gotta wash shit down and get the overspray down tha drain type full cov

St. Phatty

Safer's Soap comes as a concentrate so you can make a Dip-tank (or dip-bucket).

Spraying is good for a touch-up, but if there's a lot of plants ...

With Safer's if you do a complete dip (and let it dry before putting the plant back under the lights), AND repeat the dip 3 days later (to catch mites that were just eggs during the first dip), you have a decent chance of catching it.

I think Safer's in spray form is mainly ... highly profitable for the people who sell it. Better to make your own.

BullDogDad

Go buy a paint sprayer for $60. Dilute a little Dr. Bronners soap and you'll wipe those bitches out. The sprayer atomizes the mist and allows you to do big areas fast. You may have to do it periodically. Cheers.

-B

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's the kicker. I've used other emulsifiers with the peppermint for aphids.

Not all essential oils are equal. I use peppermint Supreme from New Directions. A quick browse of their site will show multiple types with differing terpene profiles.

There's a minimum order size and I'd recommend checking out a local source, my main point is all sprays should be tested, especially these DIY mixes.

captain planet

Veteran
We use a brand called plant therapy I believe there pretty good, not thinned out in carrier oils etc. but really that's the wife's thing