What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannahoney... From Cannabis Bees!!!

S

SooperSmurph

doublekindness and duckmang, icmag members and awesome people, are also experimenting with creating cannabis honey using their small hive.

The plan is to use this specific honey to make medicated mead.

Coughie

That's so far from natural..

Edit:

What happens to the health of the bees?
What happens to the health of the successive generations of bees?

Are they feeding this to the young bees? Because that's what they do with honey

What happens to the cannabis itself? Is it less potent because it's been harvested by the bees?

What happens when "your bees" are harvesting "my resin"?
I dont wanna be on the receiving end of that conversation, lol.

Last edited:

Tynehead Tom

is this for real LOL the video seemed awfully short.
makes a guy wonder eh? do those bees get stoned? does the honey they make have properties of the plant passed on?
very interesting, my friend is a hobby bee keeper and has 5 hive boxes. gonna tell him to check that video out LOL

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Heres another link with some more info, has same video tho. he also has a facebook under nicolas trainerbees. I guess they dont have cannabinoid receptors so its all good for them, just another food, i wonder what the process does to the thc and cbd, and if digestion from the bees breaks down the molecules so you wouldnt have to heat it to get high or still would. Interesting stuff fasho...

https://greenrushdaily.com/2016/03/03/bees-making-honey-from-cannabis/

Coughie

If he's 'trained' them into eating fruit sugars while trying to experiment with getting them to harvest resin... That's just starving them..

I've read studies and talked with beekeepers that have kept bees in 'tents', essentially. They take the whole hive, put it in a mosquito net -type of tent, and lock them in, basically. The bees are forced with starvation or harvesting what they can. So they harvest what they can..

My worries aren't really about the bees getting high..
And two years isn't long enough to judge the impact..

Bees require a diversified diet, of various pollens and nectars, to really be healthy.. But sure, there's instances where the honey in beekeepers frames has come out lime green, blood red or barney purple because the bees found an artificial source of sugar - like those beekeepers that live near candy factories, and the bees find the spilled colored sugars..

With everything we know about how healthy honey is, everything we don't know about CCD, and everything we know about how well mankind can wreck the world... I think it's a little naive to assume that this is actually a 'good thing'...

Just my two cents, but frankly - this scares the hell out of me.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
I
Bees require a diversified diet, of various pollens and nectars, to really be healthy.. But sure, there's instances where the honey in beekeepers frames has come out lime green, blood red or barney purple because the bees found an artificial source of sugar - like those beekeepers that live near candy factories, and the bees find the spilled colored sugars..

I dont know what bees require, but this would mean its inhumane to make specialized honey in general. In the healthfood stores they carry clover honey, blackberry honey, and wildflower. If bees can survive on JUST blackberry flowers, my guess is they will be just fine on cannabis. Id rather see this type of specialized bee honey production and them saving the bees than all the bees thats dieing in the wild due to monsanto chemicals and whatnot....

Coughie

Specialized honey is made by putting bee hives in large patches/swathes of a particular plant type... Like a blackberry farm, the bees would be there during pollination - a few weeks, at most - and then they're trucked to another farm, with different pollen and nectar..

All these farms, generally can't help but also contain sorts of wildflowers for additional nectar and pollen.

Not all plants provide both nectar and pollen, but bees need both.

It's inhumane, but not in the way you're thinking. It's a fubar'd business model and isn't sustainable for the health of the bees in the long term, which is why "the bees are dying!" gets more and more dire every year.. The commercial beekeepers still truck their bees to CA every Feb for the mass almond pollination and then split/sell hives and distribute their nosema/varroa/mites all over the country to home beekeepers who buy 'packages' of bees because the package they bought last year.... died.

Specialized honey is done way differently than what I'm guessing these folks are doing.

With specialized honey, there's still cells in the honey frames that are from other sources, it only needs to be a certain percentage of that particular flower-type, to be designated.. (Cant remember the % right now.. 75%?)

Edit:

The largest killers of bees, as far as I can tell... Would be the pests/diseases (varroa, nosema, mites, etc), winter kills (poor hive health, or got wet, ran out of food, etc), and chemical spray drift from neighbors (doesn't happen in the wild..)

Betterhaff

Veteran
Bees survive on flower nectar and honey. Some pollen is mixed with honey to fed larvae. What’s strange about this is cannabis is essentially a wind pollinated species so I wonder how much nectar it produces.

Nectar is essentially sugar water, the main sugar being sucrose. The bees break the sucrose down to glucose and fructose thru enzymatic processes in their gut and then most of the water is evaporated. The result is honey.

Maybe he’s trained the bees to collect trichomes...little kief collectors lol.

Iv seen hemp companies here in the US implement Cannabis honey to help increase pollination results in fields, but they weren't "trained" into anything. They just allowed nature to take its coarse collecting male pollen

S

SooperSmurph

What happens to the cannabis itself? Is it less potent because it's been harvested by the bees?

What happens when "your bees" are harvesting "my resin"?
I dont wanna be on the receiving end of that conversation, lol.
Resin Glands and Pollen are two very different things, also, Resin Glands do not have enough sugar content to be considered Nectar, so Bees will never harvest Resin Glands from female plants, only pollen from males, and they will still need a source of nectar.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Bees survive on flower nectar and honey. Some pollen is mixed with honey to fed larvae. What’s strange about this is cannabis is essentially a wind pollinated species so I wonder how much nectar it produces.

None. That's why this method won't work.
Next: Farmers feed their cows bales of cannabis in the hopes of getting, wait for it- cannabeef!:biggrin:

Siever

Veteran
I don't need to see the video to know that Nicolas is a big time liar.
First of all cannabis spraids it's pollen with the wind, so they don't need insects. So the plant doesn't make nectar of which honey is made.
Second thc is found in the crystals on the female flowers. Bees don't collect those crystals, so how is it possible there is thc in the "cannabis honey" (which doesn't exists).
By the way: if you see honey bees collecting pollen on the cannabis it means they can't find enough quality pollen to feed their larvae properly. Plants which use wind to distribute their pollen, have pollen with a very low proteïn content which means no matter what; it's the worst option for honey bees.

kind regards,

Siever

Siever

Veteran
Iv seen hemp companies here in the US implement Cannabis honey to help increase pollination results in fields, but they weren't "trained" into anything. They just allowed nature to take its coarse collecting male pollen

That's 100% pure nonsense. Please do your research before you post anything. Some people belief what you write/ what they read.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My bee keeping is limited to the hive that made it seven years in a hollow of one of our weeping birches, but alas didn't make it through the last winter. Sadly the city is not a good place for bees, because of all the ornamental flower pesticides used, and it repeatedly broke my heart to watch them writhe on the ground.

What I am clear on, is that bees aren't collecting the active ingredients that we love and cherish from the trichomes, because it has low sugar content and isn't what they make honey from.

That brings into strong question what is unique or cannabinoid about the honey bees around cannabis produce from what nectar supplies are available.

No clue on the pollen, but it isn't noted for its cannabinoid content, nor would it be heavily represented in any honey produced by the bees, so again what would be the effect???

One thought is that with the range of monoterpenes present in cannabis, it could be confusing to a bee, and they might at least check it out. Some of the monoterpenes are used to attract pollinators............. Has anyone watched their outdoor crops to see how the bees react?

Latest posts

Latest posts