What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Be careful with your personal information

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Recently I have heard that some members may be sharing their real life names and addresses with other members.

This can be a dangerous thing to do if you grow and you reside in a State or Country where marijuana is illegal. Although you may feel that you know someone after a few weeks conversing with them online, in reality, you know nothing about them. People can pretend to be anyone that they want to be. And sadly enough this happens. We are all adults here, and no one is being told what to do, but I can't emphasize enough how important it is for members to keep their identities a secret.

It's the intentions of the owners of ICMag that members be as secure as they can possibly be. A lot of people spend a lot of time to ensure it stays this way. If someone appears to be trying to get you to reveal information and you feel uncomfortable with it, notify one of the moderators, or Gypsy, OP or Skip.

Last edited:

Chester

Was there a problem we should know about??

A sudden rash of people soliciting private information perhaps??

Why the sudden alert??

Personally, I never exchange any information I wouldn't post by PM. There are Vbulletin tools available that make PMs an open book. So I don't use 'em.

:cool:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chester said:
Was there a problem we should know about??

A sudden rash of people soliciting private information perhaps??

Why the sudden alert??

Personally, I never exchange any information I wouldn't post by PM. There are Vbulletin tools available that make PMs an open book. So I don't use 'em.

Nothing more than a couple posts where members were discussing it. And nothing to be alarmed with. It just got me thinking that it might be worth posting a warning to other member that it's not a wise thing to do. I wouldn't call it a sudden alert. I just took over the forum and I figured since I was going to post that advice I'd also ask members to contact someone if something were going on. It's our intent to make this site as safe as can possibly be for members.

As for your comments regarding the VBulletin tools and people reading others PM's, thats not, nor has it ever been done here unless a member sends Administration a copy of a PM they were worried about.

Chester

JJScorpio said:
Nothing more than a couple posts where members were discussing it. And nothing to be alarmed with. It just got me thinking that it might be worth posting a warning to other member that it's not a wise thing to do. I wouldn't call it a sudden alert. I just took over the forum and I figured since I was going to post that advice I'd also ask members to contact someone if something were going on. It's our intent to make this site as safe as can possibly be for members.

As for your comments regarding the VBulletin tools and people reading others PM's, thats not, nor has it ever been done here unless a member sends Administration a copy of a PM they were worried about.

That's good to hear. It is reasonable notice to post, as this is the place for it.

Please note that I make no accusations whatsoever. I just voiced my own, paranoid, opinion on the issue of PMs on internet forums. Nothing more. Hell I'd even recommend that you not use them if you asked me about it.

What it comes down to, is that PM information is out of your personal control at any internet forum. ICmag being no exception to my personal rule. You are completely reliant on the trustworthiness of people you do not know personally, and that scares me.

Your assurances that ICmag administration doesn't read PMs means nothing to me because I don't care if they do, or if they don't. I simply make it a policy to never PM anything I wouldn't post, and thus I have nothing to worry about.

And JJ, no matter what internet forum you are talking about, you only have the forum administrators word about the PM issue. Maybe some forum admins are completely trustworthy and you would trust your life and freedom to them. Me, I'm not that trusting, and thus my personal opinion and personal policy holds.

It's just my own personal, paranoid opinion. What you choose to do for your own security is your own, personal responsibility. After all, we are all personally responsible for our own security. If you think I'm too paranoid, well, I can accept that and agree with you.

I'm also free. Free of worries about what information might be floating around outside of my control. Some paranoia is a good thing. The overconfident are easy targets for law enforcement.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's something you can take to the bank. You are correct that VB has those tools, but what you're incorrect about is knowing how the VB on ICM is fine tuned. That option was stripped from the program. You must be speaking of planet snitch, where I'm sure they didn't take that out of their software.

Not ONE admin on this site can use it because it doesn't exist as a tool for use here. It never has been. It was one of the first modifications made to the site at it's inception.

ExEcutioner

You keep it so real- Sad to say there are a lot of idiots in general, and i have read for hours upon hours and i have to commend you and DG for being paitent toward the idiot newbs that ask dumb questions i.e. "WHY shouldn't I USE SD ANYMORE?" without them doing their research first

KEEP IT UP JJ!!!!!

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just wanted to bump this thread to remind new members to keep their personal information to themselves. Regardless of how "realistic" someone on any weed site may sound, in truth you have no idea who or what they are. Never, ever give any information regarding who you are to anyone.....

G

Greyskull

JJScorpio said:
I just wanted to bump this thread to remind new members to keep their personal information to themselves. Regardless of how "realistic" someone on any weed site may sound, in truth you have no idea who or what they are. Never, ever give any information regarding who you are to anyone.....

Mahalos JJ. We all need to tighten up right now.

Securityfirst

JJ let me first say that I have thoroughly enjoyed reading a lot of your work. You seem to have a real passion for the plant. I think you not a dummy. However you say though not to give personal information yet you represent a website that seed companies probably pay for. Now if I get involved with these said seed companies and give my personal information to them isn't it possible that the DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY COULD GET INVOLVED. I mean if I meet a stranger and smoke a bowl with him and sell him 100 clones thats my choice isn't it? I appreciate you trying to protect us but it seems like a double edge sword sometimes. Lets hear what you have to say.

peace and security first

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even when ordering seeds, it's not necessary to give them your personal information. You should make sure the seeds are sent to a safe address away from the grow and the person growing...

As for selling a stranger 100 clones, that is your choice. And that's the reason I posted this thread. There is nothing you can do to guarantee you will never get arrested. But there are things you can do to minimize the odds...

N

nekoloving

That's good to hear. It is reasonable notice to post, as this is the place for it.

Please note that I make no accusations whatsoever. I just voiced my own, paranoid, opinion on the issue of PMs on internet forums. Nothing more. Hell I'd even recommend that you not use them if you asked me about it.

What it comes down to, is that PM information is out of your personal control at any internet forum. ICmag being no exception to my personal rule. You are completely reliant on the trustworthiness of people you do not know personally, and that scares me.

Your assurances that ICmag administration doesn't read PMs means nothing to me because I don't care if they do, or if they don't. I simply make it a policy to never PM anything I wouldn't post, and thus I have nothing to worry about.

And JJ, no matter what internet forum you are talking about, you only have the forum administrators word about the PM issue. Maybe some forum admins are completely trustworthy and you would trust your life and freedom to them. Me, I'm not that trusting, and thus my personal opinion and personal policy holds.

It's just my own personal, paranoid opinion. What you choose to do for your own security is your own, personal responsibility. After all, we are all personally responsible for our own security. If you think I'm too paranoid, well, I can accept that and agree with you.

I'm also free. Free of worries about what information might be floating around outside of my control. Some paranoia is a good thing. The overconfident are easy targets for law enforcement.

agreed on all points. in fact i would even suggest not to pm anything that you couldn't afford getting out on the public side.

Even when ordering seeds, it's not necessary to give them your personal information. You should make sure the seeds are sent to a safe address away from the grow and the person growing...

As for selling a stranger 100 clones, that is your choice. And that's the reason I posted this thread. There is nothing you can do to guarantee you will never get arrested. But there are things you can do to minimize the odds...

a-friggan-men - if you always strive to decrease your exposure, it helps!

however - there are many things to do to secure v-bulletin but much more important is encrypting everything, not recording ip's, and making sure that anything that is an ip or identifiable is stored only in ram- if you want a good idea of what to do, look at any good secure bittorrent tracker.

also ssl [https] should be the default for connecting to the site =[

Finally, i would like to remind everyone of those little scumsuckers that just try to work their way up in the chain. As OP says be very very careful, the best nark is a turned friend!

yurok1

How's this for paranoia?
I'm a new hobbiest in this feild, just getting started. I'm not new to the plant, but to indoor growing. So the first thing I do is find a local grow shop, and where I live there is only one. On my second trip to the shop I meet the owner and we are conversing and I mention a soil mixture that I got from this site. In the coarse of the telling I used ICmag's full name, and because of that, the owner of this one and only shop said he could'nt sell me anything! That's right, now I must do all my buying online, or drive 2 1/2 hrs to another city. Now I never mentioned the plant, only the name of the place I got recipe. I must admit I'm still hot as dragon pussy. This guy knows what he is selling is used for, and because he is the only place to go, he can be a dick. How is that for Paranoid ?!?!
Thanks for letting me bitch,
Now dose anyone have any suggestions about good whole-salers online that you don't have to be a professional shop to order ? I need to find a reliable place to shop.

B

BigTex

Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 11
04-06-2009 11:58 PMchiefmasterbong
wuts up man? u got yahoo messenger or aim?
View Conversation Report

I don't even know this guy. He kinda came outa nowhere. Not cool!

Weedninja

If he sold anything to you, he would be guilty of conspiracy. I can promise you that if he's the only game in town, the cops would love to bust him and make it look like they cracked a "drug ring". Maybe if you went back, he would "wink wink" not remember your comments.

M

manwithnoname

How's this for paranoia?
I'm a new hobbiest in this feild, just getting started. I'm not new to the plant, but to indoor growing. So the first thing I do is find a local grow shop, and where I live there is only one. On my second trip to the shop I meet the owner and we are conversing and I mention a soil mixture that I got from this site. In the coarse of the telling I used ICmag's full name, and because of that, the owner of this one and only shop said he could'nt sell me anything! That's right, now I must do all my buying online, or drive 2 1/2 hrs to another city. Now I never mentioned the plant, only the name of the place I got recipe. I must admit I'm still hot as dragon pussy. This guy knows what he is selling is used for, and because he is the only place to go, he can be a dick. How is that for Paranoid ?!?!
Thanks for letting me bitch,
Now dose anyone have any suggestions about good whole-salers online that you don't have to be a professional shop to order ? I need to find a reliable place to shop.

he's just covering his ass. it's probably like how if you go to a shop to buy a bong and you call it a bong they wont sell one to you. water pipe anyone?

Latest posts

Latest posts