What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

So many questions...

User64

First of all I appreciate everyone that answered my questions in my state specific thread. That said, I've got a million more...

There is just so much information on the internet today that it's almost a full time job wading through all that information to find what you are looking for. I'll try to be specific but no guarantees.

Now that it is legal in my state for recreational use and growing, I'd like to grow a bonsai female. Can not partake at this time unless company policy changes or I retire, whichever is first.

I love red Japanese maple bonsai, with the thin leaves and delicate growth. Looking for something that has purple traits and thin leaves. Reading shows me that starting with a plant that has genetics that already have purple traits ( Anthocyanin ) is a good place to start. If there is a variant that is red and has thin leaves, I'd be interested in that but haven't seen one yet.

Since this initial bonsai will not be for consumption, rather for aesthetics, are there any strain recommendations that have thin leaves like the red maple bonsai and have more purple traits ? I know purple is more dominant in the fall phase when chlorophyll breaks down and Anthocyanin is more dominant. Yet there have to be strains out there that lean more towards purple naturally.

I'd also like to learn more about mycorrhizae. Some seeds I ordered a while ago, that are in cold storage, came with sample packets of Supreme Growers products. Unfortunately, even when looking on the manufacturer's website, there are no clear directions as to what order the products should be used in. There was also mention of Gro-Kashi, which I saved in my notes but again no info on what order to use the samples or if one was recommended over the other.

First goal is to have a nice bonsai that has decent color to appreciate and learn from. Second goal, after I can actually partake is to grow small, organically and the best way possible to seed a few females and supply myself for future needs.

That's the end of Chapter One for now...