Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Harvesting & Processing > Poormans Rosin Press

Thread Title Search
Poormans Rosin Press Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-02-2018, 08:10 PM #21
Mellowyellow25

Mellowyellow25 will become famous soon enoughMellowyellow25 will become famous soon enough
Duplicate post
Mellowyellow25 is offline Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 AM #22
Mikell
Dipshit Know-Nothing

Mikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond reputeMikell has a reputation beyond repute
You misunderstand. I am not always clear in intent.

I referenced that to show the parts used and the use of a thick plate around the heater re: maintaining heat evenly through the length of the press.

Arbor presses are notorious, though I've never had the pleasure.
Mikell is offline Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 02:17 AM #23
Mellowyellow25

Mellowyellow25 will become famous soon enoughMellowyellow25 will become famous soon enough
I thought it might be a good idea to design an inexpensive puck maker.

Most of my buds are rather small and they fall apart when handled. That leaves me with all these small pieces of flower I need to try and keep together when I slide them in between the heat plates. If there are gaps between the pieces of flower it tends to prevent the oil from flowing to the outside. The best result with pressing is when you have one cohesive block to work with.

My puck maker is composed on a short section of 1" ID PVC pipe and two aluminum parts. The larger part, the plunger, to press the flower inside the tube and the small piece that goes in the bottom to support the puck.

I did a test run using about three grams of material. I loaded the pieces into the tube one at a time or two at a time for the smaller pieces. Then I'd give a good press. Repeat until all the flower was pressed. Then, I simply lifted up on the tube, pushed on the plunger and the puck fell free of the tube.

The final puck was about 1/2" thick and just fit the gap between the plates on my rosin press. Not the most elegant puck, but my first try here. I have since polished the plunger so the flower does not stick to the bottom as much.

The results of my two test pressings. The first from the puck itself and the second, the folded up pancake. This time I raised the temperature to 220 degrees from the 180 I used prior. This appears to be too hot. That second pressing is starting to go green. At the lower temperature I did not get that until the third press.

Think I'll go back to pressing at 180 degrees F.

Last edited by Mellowyellow25; 01-08-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 02:19 AM #24
Mellowyellow25

All in all not bad. Enough candy to fill a half gram vape cartridge and keep me happy for a while.

I'm now working on perfecting the conversion of candy to vape oil. More on that, soon.

Last edited by Mellowyellow25; 01-07-2018 at 03:18 PM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:01 AM #25
JVonChron

JVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the rough
through trial and error i found what i believe to be the best "liquefying" solution. no harshness, no residual taste or mouth feel and everyone i have given cartridges to say mine are way better than what they get. its also 100% organic. if you want to PM me I'll tell you where to get it
JVonChron is offline Quote

Old 01-07-2018, 01:20 PM #26
Mellowyellow25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVonChron View Post
through trial and error i found what i believe to be the best "liquefying" solution...
I just received something called Vapeur Extract "flavorless" that a poster, here, recommended. It's composed of vegetable glycerine, propolene glycol and polyethylene glycol. Easy enough to make, if you have the right mixture, but figured I'd pay them the $$ this time. Good size bottle will last me forever and they offer free phone support to get you going.

Why not share your recommendation publicly so we all can learn. I'd much rather use something organic than this chemical brew.

Last edited by Mellowyellow25; 01-07-2018 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 08:17 PM #27
JVonChron

JVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the roughJVonChron is a jewel in the rough
i just didnt wanna break the rules on advertising or whatever ran into some flack about it a while back. not that im in any way affiliated with them or anything. the veg glycerine and glycol suck in my opinion.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 PM #28
Ringodoggie

Ringodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud ofRingodoggie has much to be proud of
JV, I am curious also. I used the Vapeur Extract and it seemed OK. I don't e-juice much so I am mostly just experimenting.

I don't think you're breaking any rules posting an e-juice mix.
Ringodoggie is online now Quote

Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 PM #29
Mellowyellow25

The organic product JVonChron is referring to is made with 100% coconut oil.

After some research I have learned that coconut oil, a fat or lipid, is never to be inhaled. It can cause something called lipid pneumonia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid_pneumonia

In addition, "the smoke point of coconut oil is 177C (350F), which is the point when it starts producing toxic fumes. The combustion point of cannabis is 392F, with optimal vaping temps around 320F-390F."*

While users may, in fact, claim it is less harsh, it is just plain dangerous to be inhaling.

*https://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana...th-coconut-oil

Last edited by Mellowyellow25; 01-30-2018 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-08-2018, 09:49 PM #30
JVonChron

there are lipids in cannabis.... the solution is derived from coconut oil, meaning they could take these lipids out through their proprietary process. the liquify solution has much different characteristics than ordinary coconut oil. it does not change forms due to temperature like standard coconut oil that goes from liquid to solid and turns white. if they are testing plain coconut oil then they are comparing apples to oranges. I been making these for quite a while now and no one has gotten any form of pneumonia. power to yal if you wanna keep using harsh and likely gmo derived VG and PG mixed with god knows what else in there. also for any vegetarians/vegans out there they can use animal fat/tallow to make VG. never seen a bottle telling what they derive it from. PG is a petroleum byproduct. I was already making the switch to straight distillate filled cartridges before i even read any of this only because it simplifies/saves alot of time/money on my process.

1 members found this post helpful.