I thought it might be a good idea to design an inexpensive puck maker.
Most of my buds are rather small and they fall apart when handled. That leaves me with all these small pieces of flower I need to try and keep together when I slide them in between the heat plates. If there are gaps between the pieces of flower it tends to prevent the oil from flowing to the outside. The best result with pressing is when you have one cohesive block to work with.
My puck maker is composed on a short section of 1" ID PVC pipe and two aluminum parts. The larger part, the plunger, to press the flower inside the tube and the small piece that goes in the bottom to support the puck.
I did a test run using about three grams of material. I loaded the pieces into the tube one at a time or two at a time for the smaller pieces. Then I'd give a good press. Repeat until all the flower was pressed. Then, I simply lifted up on the tube, pushed on the plunger and the puck fell free of the tube.
The final puck was about 1/2" thick and just fit the gap between the plates on my rosin press. Not the most elegant puck, but my first try here. I have since polished the plunger so the flower does not stick to the bottom as much.
The results of my two test pressings. The first from the puck itself and the second, the folded up pancake. This time I raised the temperature to 220 degrees from the 180 I used prior. This appears to be too hot. That second pressing is starting to go green. At the lower temperature I did not get that until the third press.
Think I'll go back to pressing at 180 degrees F.