What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best frankincense smelling strain you can buy now?

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check out my page for a great offer ( I can't advertise offers anywhere but my page anymore against TOU ) hopefully this OK

heirloomganja

There are several types of frankincense oil. Serrata and carterii are a couple. They are quite different in aroma, one has a main ingredient listed as thujone and the other has a-pinene as the main ingredient. The carterii(the a-pinene one) has the more smokey aroma in the oil. Thujone isn't something that i would be inhaling...

How any of this relates to the aroma in Cannabis, i dunno. Chemistry wasn't my favorite class.

I have been around many different types of incense, some of the best that i've found are from Japan, without the 'stick', just pure rolled incense. Most of what i've tried is sandalwood base, but there are other bases that have quite the following, like agarwood, palo santo.
Serrata type doesn't have a very nice aroma compared to the carterii species and even within the caterii species it varies from nice to bad. It all depends on the phenotype.

heirloomganja

Original Haze (Seedsman x Golli 90's Haze pheno) I am keeping this cut for 4 + years now
At 4 weeks of flower, already puts out strong incense smell, 16 weeks to go.
I crossed a male, selected from this cut, to the Bandaid Haze#7 x A5, that should be fun to explore for the frankies terps.
View attachment 18968243
Don't know if you can find the Nag Champa phenotype?

elanius

Veteran
Don't know if you can find the Nag Champa phenotype?
For Nag Champa I would have to go different route I think, that one is pure frankincense.

Here is the Nag Champa Haze, it was faster flowering, just 16 weeks. She had great high but too mellow/sedating for my taste. The keeper Haze is electric in effect, but needs 20 weeks and its very hard to grow indoors.

Nag Champa pheno:
DSC_0042.JPG

DSC_0041.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0045_17.JPG

heirloomganja

For Nag Champa I would have to go different route I think, that one is pure frankincense.

Here is the Nag Champa Haze, it was faster flowering, just 16 weeks. She had great high but too mellow/sedating for my taste. The keeper Haze is electric in effect, but needs 20 weeks and its very hard to grow indoors.

Nag Champa pheno:
View attachment 18969412
View attachment 18969411
View attachment 18969415
View attachment 18969413
View attachment 18969414
Nag Champa sedating effect has probably to do with the Geraniol content in the terpene profile, but 16 weeks flowering was pretty common in the 90s OHz. Nag Champa is pretty rare to find in Hz or even in Colombian landraces nowadays. Imo it would be great if someone can isolate this terpene type and make plenty of seeds.

Cheech87

I ordered the Dankincense f2 strain from Connoisseur Genetics when they arrive.
I will grow them they were suggested to me.
I asked which strain smells most like incense and is potent and the answer was:

Top 3 suggestions from Dankincense project for Incense and potent

1.Dankincense, 2.Nevil's Gold , 3.Thai Frankie

RUN860

Original Haze (Seedsman x Golli 90's Haze pheno) I am keeping this cut for 4 + years now
At 4 weeks of flower, already puts out strong incense smell, 16 weeks to go.
I crossed a male, selected from this cut, to the Bandaid Haze#7 x A5, that should be fun to explore for the frankies terps.
View attachment 18968243
Hey man, Nice plants! And I am glad someone is keeping that true haze in their garden, and even introducing the bandaid to it, this will create another legend almost guaranteed!
I am running Cuban Black haze S1s right now, as well as some nL5 Haze x Santa Cruz BD. Piff is my favorite strain, always has been. I am glad that the term has become widespread because I remember asking people about piff back in the day and they were like whatt?? But then there was many that knew what it was, and weren't just beaster heads.
Haha, anyways, I already assumed that the original haze would almost be the definition of piffs baseline, at least with the flavor and scent, but others think it is just a special pheno from Nevilles or Tom Hills genetics they found during pheno hunting., but hey that argument is for another day. I know I get off topic and rant a bit but I have been wondering how you would compare the original haze you keep, to the classic piff? Would you say its better than a good piff batch?
I would love to hear a more detailed report on this haze, because I am very interested in growing it myself and from what you shared it seems like its a winner for anyone who loves a piffy haze!
Thanks for letting me ring ya ear for a bit!
- DuBBAGe

RUN860

In seed, NL5/Hz, Neville, OHz (Todd, H4D, etc), Top Dawg Nigerian Hz crosses, Ace Ethiopian/Malawi fems had a unique floral musky incense when I ran it (for what is worth)
Hey man, I was wondering when you said that unique floral musky incense scent, did it also have a like wet basement funk to it as well? That kind of scent that intoxicates you when you open the jar, and when smoked lingers in the air like your at church but even heavier is the scents and flavor I live for in cannabis. Piff just happens to be my favorite strain and always has been, it has made a comeback recently which I am very happy to finally see, but now learning more about it, and its background, it seems to have always been around , just a supreme pheno of a haze, that was closely guarded and not commonly grown because of the long flowering period.
Take it easy ~
DuBBAGe

PlasmaTube

Hey man, I was wondering when you said that unique floral musky incense scent, did it also have a like wet basement funk to it as well? That kind of scent that intoxicates you when you open the jar, and when smoked lingers in the air like your at church but even heavier is the scents and flavor I live for in cannabis. Piff just happens to be my favorite strain and always has been, it has made a comeback recently which I am very happy to finally see, but now learning more about it, and its background, it seems to have always been around , just a supreme pheno of a haze, that was closely guarded and not commonly grown because of the long flowering period.
Take it easy ~
DuBBAGe
Sounds like Bandaid Haze (take your pick of #..but The Church and #7 are wet basement types), Cuban Black Haze (Piff frontrunner), Todd's Hz (has a incense pheno that leaves the frankie smell in the air), and A5 haze are what youre describing... At least IME.

PlasmaTube

Nag Champa pheno:
View attachment 18969412
View attachment 18969411
View attachment 18969415
View attachment 18969413
View attachment 18969414
Your grows are too good, man. Never fails to inspire.

Latest posts

Latest posts