Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Flower Photos > The Funk Lab

Thread Title Search
The Funk Lab Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-25-2016, 08:05 PM #41
Castroman

Castroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura about
Great photography Mustafunk! The thread reads like a magazine (and you certainly got the perfect name for it already, El Cannasseur), very enjoyable.

Curious about Lilly, with the pineapple aroma / taste, unusually short flowering period and uplifting sativa high, it could be a C99 derivative even though the bud does look different. Do you think it is as Delicatessen claim, an unrelated Congo cross? It wouldn't be the first time a Spanish seed vendor misrepresents a strain's true makeup. They seem to apply Einstein's quote "the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" to a T.

Also intrigued by that Chem D x Sour D cross. I would love your opinion on how the smoke from the various strains referenced in the thread compare. Like a Lilly vs Chem D / Sour D or Queen Mother vs Cherry Pie x OG Kush deathmatch
Castroman is offline Quote

Old 03-27-2016, 12:17 AM #42
Mustafunk
Brand new oldschool

Mustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castroman View Post
Great photography Mustafunk!
Curious about Lilly, with the pineapple aroma / taste, unusually short flowering period and uplifting sativa high, it could be a C99 derivative even though the bud does look different. Do you think it is as Delicatessen claim, an unrelated Congo cross? It wouldn't be the first time a Spanish seed vendor misrepresents a strain's true makeup. They seem to apply Einstein's quote "the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" to a T.

Also intrigued by that Chem D x Sour D cross. I would love your opinion on how the smoke from the various strains referenced in the thread compare. Like a Lilly vs Chem D / Sour D or Queen Mother vs Cherry Pie x OG Kush deathmatch
Hey Castro! Yeah many times I wonder about that too... structures and times don't really match with 100% african equatorial genes but since the breeder seems to be an honest guy, I'm more inclined to think that maybe one of the parents was handed as something but never verified. So either mislabelled or modern hybridized landrace in my humble opinion.

As an example, check this picture of a 90s Congolese strain I've received this past year for preservation purposes. Kept by a veteran smoker who only used to grow african sativas but by the compact looks, definitely a modern and possibly hybridized landrace in my opinion. Reminds me a bit to the modern/squat colombians, mexicans or jamaicans we can often see around nowadays.

Congolese 1996:

No worries on the reviews, I'll try to upload dried bud pictures as well as soon as I can and a brief smoke report after trying them all! ;-)

Let's move on into this rare ladies, Lemon Thais from Dutch Flowers seedbank. Originally preserved by Stash, who purchased some original packs from Heaven's Stairway auctions back then. I think it was the same stock that Bodhi received and from what he mentioned to me, he found very similar expressions.

For me there are two clear phenotypes, the compact and chemmy smelling ones (afghan leaning probably) and the more airy looking sweet lemon ones (probably hawaiian thai side). All plants are really frosty and some were throwing male flowers and bananas just like many others reported previously.

This lady, the most stretchy one, was the best smelling female as well. Very frosty too and turned into a beautiful magenta colour right before maturing. Too bad I've found plenty balls on those flowers, and i'm not speaking about bananas but big ass balls lol!

Another phenotype:

Mustafunk is offline Quote

10 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:18 AM #43
Mustafunk
Brand new oldschool

Mustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant futureMustafunk has a brilliant future

And the hashplant looking pheno, the leafier and most productive one as well:

9 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:46 AM #44
Kalbhairav
~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~

Kalbhairav has disabled reputation
^Looks very hashplant/Afghanica.. Beautiful pictures

Old 03-30-2016, 08:31 PM #45
Mustafunk
Brand new oldschool

Two more Lemon Thais came down this week, this was the other compact hashplant looking pheno, hard ass nugs and not so lemony but no bananas so far:

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:33 PM #46
Mustafunk
Brand new oldschool

And another female with tiny round buds as well:

8 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:32 AM #47
Castroman

Castroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura aboutCastroman has a spectacular aura about
Great photography as always, very enjoyable thread to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafunk View Post
Hey Castro! Yeah many times I wonder about that too... structures and times don't really match with 100% african equatorial genes but since the breeder seems to be an honest guy, I'm more inclined to think that maybe one of the parents was handed as something but never verified. So either mislabelled or modern hybridized landrace in my humble opinion.
We are going to have to wait until genetic tests can tell us exactly what is what... until then, we have to go by eye and ear.

Quote:
Let's move on into this rare ladies, Lemon Thais from Dutch Flowers seedbank. Originally preserved by Stash, who purchased some original packs from Heaven's Stairway auctions back then. I think it was the same stock that Bodhi received and from what he mentioned to me, he found very similar expressions. For me there are two clear phenotypes, the compact and chemmy smelling ones (afghan leaning probably) and the more airy looking sweet lemon ones (probably hawaiian thai side). All plants are really frosty and some were throwing male flowers and bananas just like many others reported previously.
They say he who wants fish should be ready to get his butt wet, and it seems the same here: if you want tropical sativas you have to put up with the bananas.

Clearly Dutch Flowers added a little Afghan there trying to get the flowering period down a bit, my question as always is how does the Afghan-leaning phenos smoke. If they are up and soaring with little body, then that's successful breeding. Have you done any sampling yet Mustafunk? How does DF's Lemon Thai compare to, say, Mextiza or Destroyer in potency?
Castroman is offline Quote

Old 04-06-2016, 08:02 AM #48
ValleyKush

ValleyKush is a jewel in the roughValleyKush is a jewel in the roughValleyKush is a jewel in the roughValleyKush is a jewel in the roughValleyKush is a jewel in the roughValleyKush is a jewel in the rough
^I'd like to know as well. Bodhi seems to think highly of df but I dont hear much about them otherwise. Thinking about getting a lemon thai hybrid because I really like head trip (chocolate trip x snowlotus).
ValleyKush is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2016, 12:38 AM #49
wildgrow
Frosty Half-Ginger

wildgrow has disabled reputation
Great thread! I love reading about all the landrace and rare strains that you and a few others are preserving and protecting. My to you.

Quote:
Remember about this memorable meet up my friend? Epic buffet table! lol.

View Image

That must have been one hell of a time!

SSC Lot M69 F2???

The Crap I Have to Deal with...
wildgrow is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2016, 07:31 AM #50
MAHA KALA

MAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant futureMAHA KALA has a brilliant future
toooo funky funk funk funkity yeah!

lovely thread, lovely plants..