What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

QWISO CBD hemp oil, can 99 isopropyl be destilated so it doesnt go to waste

Chong

So in short i have a plan to make CBD oil from hemp with isopropyl using a QWISO method. I have a plan to extract CBD from 100 kilos of quality hemp (just from bud and leaf) with no mold or shit like that and no stalk. I already made a qwick wash for about 2 killo with 20 liters of isopropyl which means i need 10l for 1 kilo . The problem as you can see is i have to use A LOT of alcohol so for 100 kilos i would need like 1000l so i need to do something and colect that alcohol not just let it evaporate it in air losing all of alcohol as ALL of people who make qwiso from a small scale MJ do.
So this is 99% alcohol and its HIGHLY flamable is it possible to just do it with an ordinary spirit destiler that has a lot of volume from 10 - 150l range. Also i am worried becase all people who do small scale do it with induction because the fumes are FLAMABLE, For distiler to be running you need wood or butane gas. So has anybody done it is it possible to do inside withat thinking the hause can explode or outside but it also seems dangerous. Later when just about 1 litter is left i would pour it in a pan and let it evaporate till i get just CBD oil.
So the questoin is obvious can i use a ordinary distiler that runs on gas to destilate isopropyl? 20l here in europe costs 70 euros and thats in bulk for 1000 liter thats 50 times more so its 3500 euro. So i belive its cost effective to buy destilater for 1000 euro assuming i would get back about 50% of alcohol. Has someone done it already???
Thanks for reading.

Rickys bong

Veteran
Get a cheap Chinese rotovap, or at the very least get an electrically heated still. For distillation there is no conceivable reason to use gas.

Do the distillation under vacuum to lower the boiling point.

RB

Chong

Rickys bong

I searched on rotovap and they have all low volume at least on first view, i would like to get electrically heated still but i dont think they can handle the weight for example if i take 120l distiller it weighs EMPTY 100 kilo and with alcohol they can be 200 then.

I second RB on the cheap rotovap. After you have quick washed you'll have a giant container of infused alcohol which can be setup for continuous feed into the rotovap, so even a 2L rotovap will do the job, albeit slower than a 50L.

Set the feed rate equal to the recovery rate and let it run for a couple days.

Use a water chiller to keep your condenser near 0C

For 100 kilos of hemp you'll probably have to stop the feed and empty a 2L flask 5 times, assuming a 3.5% cbd content

Last edited:

Chong

Thanks for suggestions guys but i think rotovap is not for me, i read a thread here on IC and some dude said this:

At max volume the Rotovape Maximus holds about one liter,
that requires about 4 hours to remove and recover the alcohol and last few drops of water.

Good ones "Buchi" cost 3500 $. So in prespective i need to use 1000l of 99% isoproplyl alcohol to extract 100kg so if it takes 4 hours to extract from 1l that means i would need 4000 hours! to extract everything and thats A LOT of time i dont plan to extract full time all year long i consider this a side business so this isnt an option.

I read a bit about distilers and i found out there are ones that have double floor and that in beetween there is water so it heats up nice and even and i think this means there isnt contact with fire so its probably more safe at least.they can be entirely made from stainless steel its supposed better suited for more "agressive mictures" so maybe its the one i need to buy. 120l are 1500 euro.

mobin

Ive had success with a 18" vigreaux colmn, condenser, and my hand pump vac.

Pulls a liter of alc in about 30m and leaves sober crude to work with.

Using my old beater vac pump was too much and pulled mixed solution into the vig. The hand pump was more than adequate.

Old Gold

A water aspirator could also be set up effectively in a recirculating fashion, for vacuum purposes.

If you plan on being resourceful, you can find used rotary evaporator arms and heating baths without glassware for as low as $200-300. Then it just depends how resourceful you can get finding glass.

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
May i suggest you make some water hash out of the flowers?? You will need a lot less alcohol that is for sure...