What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pain free hash making made easy

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Been awhile since i did a how to, but every day i see people with questions on hash making. There are several methods of hash making which include:

Dry sieving: Using a tumbler
Carding: carding material over a screen
Ice water filtration: Using filter bags with ice and water

I'm disabled with limited use of my hands so over the years using my Bubblebags or using screens became out of the question. In 2004 i looked into dry sieving and making my own tumbler. With tumbler plans found on the internet i set out to find the parts needed. It quickly became obvious that after looking at purchasing a motor.......and not a 1rpm rotisserie motor which i consider too slow, that yes i would save some money but factor in time, tools, and how it would hold up. I decided too just purchase a tumbler.
Looked at several companies including pollinator, tumblers were a bit pricey. I finally decided to buy one from OKIEF.COM which was right within my $200 budget which was $150 before shipping. This purchase later evolved to them marketing my oil tubes jyi.
Long story short this tumbler has paid for itself 20x over if not more. However if you are handy with tools and have the time by all means build your own. The purpose of this thread is to give people a basic knowledge of dry sieving and answer some common questions.

How much will i yield? Using trim expect up to 5% return, using buds 10-15% return. I have achieved 15% once with ultimate moonshine from JLP.

The number one misconception I’ve seen is throwing any leaf off the plant into a tumbler will get you something.........by far not the case. The kief that we seek ,which when pressed is hash is from the capitate stalked trichomes on the outside of the leaf surface. These trichomes (triches from here on out) are what give the buds the chrystally appearance. Let me repeat, the only thing that will be removed from the plant are the VISIBLE trichomes on the leaf surface. With that said lets get started.

When harvesting a plant, i use 3 boxes. I've found the shallow boxes that hold 4 6 packs of soda to be perfect.

1st box (Garbage): Large fan leaves, stems, anything that does not contain visible triches.

2nd box (Trim): Any leaf that has visible triches that will not remain on the bud after manicuring

3rd box (Buds): After manicuring the buds go here.

1st box is trash and if you live in the country gets burned. Never put this in your garbage at the street. Some people compost it or you can cut it up fine and flush it.

Your trim to be tumbled needs to be very dry, almost crispy. I dry a minimum of 2 weeks but prefer 3-4 in the open air. If i use my bud dryer (in gallery) i can cut that time in half. Trim to be tumbled does not have to be cured.......does not have to be cured....does not have to be cured. Got it, good.

To make the heads of the triches more easily removed, we need to freeze it. A minimum of 2 hours but the longer the better. I prefer big glass pickle jars which are air tight and easy to clean. The very best freezer i have found is a deep freeze or the smaller 3 foot high freezers where the actual racks are coils. When i remove the jars from this smaller freezer, i have to wear gloves........and deffinantly don't stick my tongue on the jar LOL.

The smaller jars are great and can just be opened and poured directly into the drum.

in these pics you will see some popcorn buds....these need to be broken up as much as possible. Any trichomes within the bud will not be removed. We want the most leaf surface area as possible for the best result. To avoid knocking too many trichomes off before tumbling , i partially break the buds up, tumble and really break them up good for a second run, resulting in a lower grade.

We also want to add rubber balls to agitate the material and help press the leaves against the screen.

If you are using a drum with poly screen, all sharp objects such as stems need to be removed to prevent damage to the screen I recently got the 110lpi stainless mesh drum from okief which is ALMOST indestructible, and i can also tumble stems in it. Why would i tumble stems?
Some strains produce trichomes on the stems of the plant. The particular strain i am using is Astroboy which has ALOT of triches on the stems.

Now lets get started.

I only fill the drum half full to allow more tumbling action. Tumble for 15 min, stop let everything settle for 5 min, collect, tumble again for 45 min. easy enough?

Also an eye loupe is an important, necessary, and cheap piece of equipment.
Eyeballing a leaf after tumbling will still look like it has trichomes. If you look under a loupe you will see over 95% of that is simply headless stalks......this is good

OK here's the good part:
Used 2.5 oz of trim and popcorn buds from 3 plants.

70g trim turned into 2g of 15 min run primo kief = less than 5%.Which was expected.

I do love the removable collection plate in this tumbler. I think it's vinyl but not sure. The rotating of the drum creates a static charge on the plate and the kief stays put. I can tip the plate vertical without it falling off.

We’re not done yet. I’ll do a second run and really break up the popcorn buds. I place them in a small food processor to break them up but donot make it a popder
This will be refrozen and run again.

This thread is a work in progress and I’ll update the second run shortly.

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
when did they start putting a tray in there?

i usually put a sheet of parchment in...

nice thread so far!!

i like using the tumbler, especially the cleanup...there is none!!

i have already picked up a few tips...keep 'em coming!!

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks sleepy, i believe it was last year that they added the sleeve. I know when i first bought mine it didn't have one and i suggested it to them. Frankly scooping kief with a card was not like you have to do with some tumblers is a pain. They did add the insert shortly after i suggested it and they sent it to me.
Now while the second lower grade is tumbling i decided to clean out all my storage jars. We all know what those look like.....kief in the bottom. Actually alot of that is stalks. I managed to clean out the jars into a stainless bowl.

Now i have a set of screens that i use to refine the kief. Since stalks (we don't want) are smaller than the heads (which we do want) sometimes they get mixed together. When i refine kief like this is use 2 screens: 110lpi and 200lpi. Place the 110 on top of the 200 and card back and forth. This removes leaf remnants etc. Then the stalks and heads fall on to the 200.

I can't do the carding but a buddy i'm teaching will. We will do the carding then take a vacuum cleaner to the bottom of the 200. This will suck out the stalks and leave the good stuff on the top of the screen. Be back in a bit.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
OK here's what we did:

We took the 110 screen and put it on top of the 200. Placed the jar kief on the 110. Then carded the jar kief. We were left with this:

Then take a normal shop vac and start vacuuming from the bottom of the 200 using a circular motion

The stalks will be sucked through the screen since they are smaller and you will see the pile start to disappear

when we get to a small amount we spread the kief out and do it again

Finally we are left with this

I'm conviced now after doing this several times that possibly i will try a 300lpi screen just to try to catch the smaller immature heads..but it's a crap shoot. I also highly suggest using a loupe to check your progress.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I tumbled the 1oz of really broken up popcorn buds for 45 min

Now this is a great comparison: 1st run left 2nd run right
see the color difference?

Now tumbling the trim once more. Be back in a bit

V

vhGhost

I want a tumbler so bad. i got the 3 bag kit for making bubble, and i do quick rinses and end up with great -to> bad quality hash. And am getting really good at making iso/oil.

Ok thats it i'm convinced.. i'm ordering

Edit : GREAT JOB!!! i love that kief

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks, i thought surely someone would have questions, i know my how-to's are far from thorough lol. finished the second run trim last night which didn't yield much more (expected). All toll about 8% return which is between the 5% for trim and 10% for using buds. I tried that cleaned up screened kief last night and it hit me hard lol, to the point i'm foggy this morning, good stuff. I'm going to continue practicing the vacuum cleaner method and see if it's possible to get full melt. Bubbleman and Trichomefarmer gave me the heads up on the method, but i think it just boils down to practice.

B

BeAn

Very nice job man!!

Very nice job man!!

You've got balls using a hoover anywhere near all that kif, i know i'd fuck up n suck up the trichs lol..

:yummy: Respect dude..

Be safe :sasmokin:

awesome thread cheif!!!

i just ordered a 3 bag set of bubble bags... but after seeing this i sooo want a tumbler!!

they have the pollenator ones in the local hydro shop... but these o'kief ones look much better and a lot cheaper to... plus a stainless screen would be a whole lot better than the poly ones...

your end product looks really nice i must say... do u just leave the kif unpressed??

i really cant wait until i get my bags... i have 50 grammes of top quality trim and popcorn buds... plus im gonna throw in an ounce or so of my proper buds....

hope they get here tommorow... cause im really desperate to try them out!!!

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Thanks all, Hoover LOL. Yeah i'm deffinantly going to perfect that vacuum method with practice. Blunted, yeah i prefer it unpressed actually just ciz i like to top bowls with it. Keep us posted on you bag run -peace

C

Chamba

Good thread Chief!

and yeah, that's the problem with tumblers and resifting with a finer mesh to purify it.....it's not possible to tumble with a fine 200 mesh (or finer) to separate rough kif into trics and debris as it would clog up and not work effectively which is why no tumbler company sells a finer screen tumbler..as Chief mentioned, a flat screen is the way!

working the kif over a finer mesh by scraping a card is one way to purify your single screen kif....(re-sifting the same kif over the same mesh is another way to clean things up if you only have that one size mesh..remove and set aside the last 5% that is left ontop of the 120 mesh each time as this will be mostly debris)

you have to do it manually with a card to and fro over a 200 line per inch flat screen - this does the job really well, but it does take time and it's best if the ambient humidity in the room is low or the kif will lump, clog and the debris won't get worked through the mesh as well as it should

carding combined with vibration works over a 200+ mesh is good too..but just carding alone will vastly improve the quality providing this fine mesh matches the trichome size you are dry sifting/carding

a good combo for most strains is a triple mesh set up - agitate the resiny ground up bud over a 120 mesh, then card this 120 kif over a 140 mesh several times then card over a 200 ~ 250 mesh and you'll be smoking fine hash! you'll also find that carding over finer meshes will reduce the weight/yield too as alot of the non-active plant matter is broken up and forced through the mesh as Chief showed above.....

...the carding action forces the headless stalks, dust and other broken up plant matter through the finer holes of the 200 ~ 250 mesh while the trichomes remain on top of the screen....but with some strains with smaller trics, you might find that a finer mesh is best for this last cleaning process, so use a 225 lines per inch mesh or you may be losing small, immature heads..it all depends on the strain

a normal hand held loupe is usually not good enough to check things out unless you have goo light..so buy yourself a battery operated, illuminated 20x or 30x magnifier or use a microscope...and monitor your progress!

and while subjecting your kif to this extra process by carding the kif over a finer screen will definitely lift the quality (and the high) of your dry sift, but most people are extremely happy with the quality they get from using the one step method of dry sifting....a 120 LPI or 140 micron mesh

what the (dry sifting) world needs is an automated dry sifting machine that uses 3 or more size meshes to attain a hig quality kif..a tumbler could be used for the first process and then the kif could fall onto a bowl shaped finer screen that works like a flour sifter with a scraper that "cards" over the inside of the mesh bowl in a circular action?..Sony or Phillips has probably got one at prototype stage now!

for more info on kiffing it - do a search in this forum!

Happy dry sifting!

Last edited:
C

Chamba

Chief...you should recommend okief to advertise here on icmag.com!....I noticed they advertise on pg but that site now seems to have gone downhill in a big way lately.

....here's the quote of the week from there by Gadabout which sums the site up plainly enough

" Pom is banned but it doesn't matter.

PG will go offline @ midnight tonight.... It may return if the others want to continue running it as long as they can guarantee no involvement from PoM. I have no interest in being part of this and paying for the privilege.

Pom rot in hell you fuck"

hmmm that's what you get when negativity, threats, boasts, dissent, bullshit and private matters are allowed to be spewed forth in a one sided biased manner..then it turned around and bit them in the ass and they realized they were being used.....tssk tsk...you know what they say "lie down with dogs and you'll get fleas"

if I was I O'kief I'd invest my advertising dollars here rather than there and get a better return.

ok, nuff of the bs.....now let's get back to dry sifting!

Last edited:

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Actually i did Chamba back when OG hit the fan, they told me they inquired about advertising here and they didn't get a reply.....Hmmmm. Is PG actually going down? POM's a shit stirrer anyway..anything to meet his agenda..........don't get me started.

C

Chamba

no, that was just a knee jerk reaction.....they decided to keep the doors open

C

Chamba

Actually i did Chamba back when OG hit the fan, they told me they inquired about advertising here and they didn't get a reply

oh well, you can't do more than that!..perhaps it got lost in the system?

G

Excellent thread, never made hash before but want to. Don't care much for oil or extractions even though I admit they do work; prefference thing really. Anyway, this thread saved another redundant post from being made and it is as simple as I could ask for.
Chiefsmokingbud said:
but donot make it a popder

Is that a mistype or what does popder mean?

J.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
LOL, you don't know what a popder is? What planet you from ? LOL, J/k it was a typo, supposed to be a powder thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
G

I have a brand new rotisserie that has never been opened and I finally have a use for it.

j.