What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Portable Dabs

flatslabs

Do I have this right...you choose either 2 or 3 coil wire designs (and adjustable airflow or not)? Looking at most I think I would only hit off one coil at a time - like the design flatslabs made. Even though they will both power up each time though if I got it right.
Maybe half a dab on each.

Your RDA will have a certain number of "poles". A 2 pole RDA would let you put in 1 coil, a 3 pole would let you put 2 coils etc. Get one with 3 poles at least. Some of the designs just have multiple holes for the middle pole, but doesnt change the function. You always wanna put about a half dab on each or your going to burn one dry and not the other. If you rock a single coil design you need to wrap it differently to get your ohms lower so you get the same power output.

Does you family work in the retail business or are they strictly import/distribution?

This thread has been very helpful for those who are new to PV's. The info is especially helpful coming from someone who has a chance to sample several different brands.

They have a chain of local retail shops and do importing directly. They stock like 1 - 2 of the popular mods and RDAs for the customers that come in looking for that stuff, but most of the sales come from marked up ejuice and cheapo batteries and cartridges that the masses by. I am sure they would appreciate the business, but even I bought my parts online.

here is a picture of what is currently being touted as the best solution yet. it is a stovetop coil that has been sheathed with a specially treated ceramic wicking material.

Thats the pic I was trying to find for you earlier. I think thats is the XC116 ceramic stuff I was asking about earlier in the thread. I havent had a chance to try it but its like $10 for 1ft long piece of it.

Your nemesis clone RDA or nemesis clone battery case? I thought nemesis was a style of battery, havent seen nemesis atomizers...

My question still remains; are the originals worth the extra money; as in are they made from much better quality materials and will last longer, the thread connections for example??

I could care less about a name brand, unless its of higher quality that justifies the price.

Again, I guess it depends. I wouldn't buy an original Nemesis, it never touches your concentrate, its honestly a metal tube with a button on it and I have no idea why they cost so much for the originals other than they are like individually serial number limited edition crap.

And like I said before, I have read that Ehpro is one of the higher quality clone companies. I have heard for instance that an Ehpro clone is going to be higher quality than one made by Tobeco.

I honestly don't know who my patriot is made by or if it is a clone. I assume it is a clone, but it still says "Made in USA" on the bottom because its a 1:1 clone.

I thoroughly cleaned it before I ever used it and the stuff that touches your concentrates is the coil and wicking really, but you are right I won't buy knock off nails either for the same reasons.

flatslabs

And if you are interested in those Stovetop single coil builds, check out getting an RDA like the IGO-L that has 2 poles with one off to the side, so you have more room to work with.

flatslabs

boutdablife: is there any info about that stovetop coil?

Do you know what gauge wire he is using, how many ohms the coil is, and if thats the XC-116 ceramic wicking?

I might try wrapping one of these up if I can find a piece of that wick and put it in the omega, I just need more information.

@flatslabs

I do believe the ceramic wicking material is the same that you are talking about (xc-116), but from what I can tell it is more commonly referred to as "READYxWICK". Either that, or the "READYxWICK" is xc-116 that has been extra-treated to make it safer or what have you... not totally sure there. Anyways the stuff he used is available at RBASupplies (here). He is using the 2mm version as to keep the build as compact as possible.

It is built in a Igo-W which has been modified with set screws (here) instead of the stock phillips head screws to allow for more clearance above the posts, as well as a different "halo" cap (which basically makes it a TOBH). I am assuming we can use the set screws in most any other RDAs as well... so doesn't have to be this one specifically.

I believe the latest I read from him indicated he was running 26g kanthal with about 3 wraps (all that space allows) at 0.8ohms -- he said it runs a bit hot and was going to rebuild with 28g.

That's all the important information I collected but if you want to read more check out the thread over at Advanced E-cig users and oil/wax, how-to "one-hitter-quitter""]fuck combustion[/URL] the dude that has been making this coil is "2clicker" but there is tons of great information in that thread to just browse and get ideas with.

#dabbedout

yep fucked up that last link!

fuck combustion thread

you-dabbin-joey-tribbiani-friends-600x600.jpg

flatslabs

I think its the same stuff, if you search XC-116 on ebay you can see the sellers mention its heat treated and safe to use for vaporizers.

I think it is made by 3M so XC-116 is their name for it, READYxWICK is someone else rebranding the stuff once its been treated

RonSmooth

Veteran
I dont even have one yet and I am sure the original mods are much higher quality. You can tell by looking at them. The tolerences are tighter, threads smoother, machining is much cleaner and logos/deisgns are engraved with clean, crisp edges. A fake rolex tells time just as well as a real one but if you have ever owned both, you would never mistake one for the other.

If I ever bought an original I would but it more as a piece of art/collectable than for a utilitarian purpose. Some of the atomizer mods I was checking out were stunning. Some were thousands of $.

I think I am going to buy a legit Patriot RDA. They are less than $100 and they are very nice asthetically and I am a sucker for design, clean machining, engraving and collecting esoteric but functional art.

You can buy the parts in bulk from China. People are just ordering a bunch at a time and selling them on ebay. I even considered ordering 25 just to sell but there are a lot of people with the same idea.

flatslabs

I am sure the originals are much higher quality as well, or they wouldn't fetch a higher price. I wouldn't waste the money on an original mod, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an original USA made RDA.

In my original post I was trying to keep it simple and not get into all the options and different parts you can choose as you guys just asked for a list of what to get so I put down what I think is the best and easiest stuff to get started with, I didn't want to list all of the thousands of mods and RDAs out there.

You probably don't want to deal with reselling stuff from China. Unless you are getting shipping containers full of merchandise, the shipping and re-shipping and returns and customer service and all that are going to eat into your already thin profit margins. The only way to really do it right is to make a large purchase to get the discounts and benefit of container shipping rates.

frankenstein2

Astronaut Status
Veteran
Look, I am not trying to hate on these other pens, I know it seems like that with some of my replies. I just want to re-iterate there is a difference in these devices, I have tried them all.

I have both kinds (and 20 others), I just thought this thread was about having a real portable dab in your pocket and this seego and all these concentrate atomizers are great at what they do, but they aren't a nail replacement. It's like a little bump when I want a fat line.

You aren't getting nail hits with a 2.5 ohm coil, which is what is in a seego rise, no matter what kind of battery you have hooked up to it.

And while your battery may go up to 6 volts, the max rated for that atomizer is 4.2 so you are going to do damage to the atomizer given enough time unless you have your wattage turned way down which defeats the purpose.

The Tesla is a nice battery, but do yourself a favor and get yourself a real atomizer to go on it. They have a 510 connection already so you can screw a patriot right on top of it for a $20 investment.

Yeah ,I have looked at the patriot. Wasn't sure enough of myself to build a coil at that point in time. Since then and seeing this thread I'm definitely gonna get a patriot or something similar and build my own coils.

flatslabs

A friend of mine asked me to build him a rig so I just went shopping on ebay.

I was able to get the following, which is a complete setup minus the stuff to build a coil, which he doesn't need obviously. Just wanted to post this here for anyone looking at what its gonna run.

It was $125 for all of this stuff shipped. There are cheaper clones, but all of the reviews I have read seem to regard Ehpro as one of the best and closest to the originals.

* Ehpro Brand - Nemesis Mod Clone
* Ehpro Brand - TOBH RDA Atomizer
* 2 Efest 35A 18650 High Drain Batteries
* Efest LUC v2 Charger
* 3 Magnet upgrade for Nemesis
* 4 Piece Nemesis hybrid adapter

Now to get some of that ceramic wick for myself...

mingmen

A friend of mine asked me to build him a rig so I just went shopping on ebay.

I was able to get the following, which is a complete setup minus the stuff to build a coil, which he doesn't need obviously. Just wanted to post this here for anyone looking at what its gonna run.

It was $125 for all of this stuff shipped. There are cheaper clones, but all of the reviews I have read seem to regard Ehpro as one of the best and closest to the originals.

* Ehpro Brand - Nemesis Mod Clone
* Ehpro Brand - TOBH RDA Atomizer
* 2 Efest 35A 18650 High Drain Batteries
* Efest LUC v2 Charger
* 3 Magnet upgrade for Nemesis
* 4 Piece Nemesis hybrid adapter

Now to get some of that ceramic wick for myself...
Much thanks on this post.

What do you think of this set-up? Is this harder to build?
I think it is a special ceramic wick but I like the recessed space to kind of catch the drip.
Is this a good one per the recommendations or should I stick with something simpler?

QftkqaD.jpg

flatslabs

Looks cool, I wouldn't mind getting one to check out. The only reason I recommended the Patriot is because its regarded as easy to build on and people were asking for a list of parts to buy.

I am sure there are certain designs which are more suited towards our needs and I can't afford to try them all myself!

mingmen

Looks cool, I wouldn't mind getting one to check out. The only reason I recommended the Patriot is because its regarded as easy to build on and people were asking for a list of parts to buy.

I am sure there are certain designs which are more suited towards our needs and I can't afford to try them all myself!

So it is "at least a 3 pole"? Does it look any easier or harder to build than the Patriot?
A mesh steel screen would work just the same rather than ceramic, right?

flatslabs

Yes the 3 poles would be the 2 screws on each side and the center pin. This RDA is a Storm A made by a company called Orieco, but the layout does make it look a little more difficult to work with than a patriot.

You can find it on ebay for about $25 for the authentic one, the problem is that Orieco is a chinese company, so the authentic one could still be made of questionable materials and the seller is in Hong Kong so its going to take a little while longer to get here.

The ceramic he is using in that picture is different that the stuff im talking about. He is uing a rigid porous ceramic called FC-2000, the stuff we are using is a fibrous material called XC-116 or ReadyXwick.

I think the reason people want to get away from the steel mesh is because if you burn all the seasoning off you are going to get a metallic tinge flavor.

On another note, I had one of my family members speak with a rep for Ehpro and the sales rep claims that all of their RDA clone parts (I am not sure about the mech mods) are made from 303 Stainless Steel, if that puts anyones mind to ease.

Weyenot

Hey everyone, this thread has been very interesting and thanks to everyone's input im going to be putting together a setup in the near future. Big thanks all around! I'd still be looking for something better if it weren't for all these great ideas:)
I was going to put together a rig similar to the one flatslabs outlined a few posts ago until I found the veritas rda; the positioning of the air hole is supposed to make leaks next to impossible and its got a nice deep v shaped well below the posts that could be useful. Does anyone have any thoughts on this model?

Also, I think I'm going to go for it and buy some ready wick and give that ceramic a go; ill post any experiences I have. I had it in my head that one was supposed to insert the kanthal through the wick but from what I'm seeing people are winding it around the outside like its done with cotton wicks etc. Seems to me like it would improve the flavor if the steel didn't touch the concentrate but maybe I'm over-thinking the process. Any thoughts?

flatslabs

Honestly I wouldn't be that concerned with the size of the well on an RDA for dabbing.

Anything you put in there is going to gone in a few hits, I really don't get much of anything collecting in the bottom cup other than a light coating, but that happens to the whole inside of the atomizer.

And about leaks on the RDA, if you are looking at reviews from e-juice users talking about leaky RDAs, it doesn't apply to us in my opinion as our material is much more viscous than Propylene Glycol is.

That veritas honestly looks a little difficult to build on for standard coils, it looks like its made for vertical coils or something from the pics I see. Might work great, but I can only recommend what I have used.

With the stovetop coils, they are indeed threading the coil wire through the center of the readyxwick. The FC-2000 stuff is different and is a hard piece of ceramic, you could only wrap stuff around it.

Again, looking at e-juice coil builds is good for sparking ideas, but their whole wicking system doesn't work for us so you can't just copy them straight off.

Latest posts

Latest posts