What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

-26F or -31C here tonight, how cold is it by you?

moose eater

About +2 on the front porch.

More light snow came down this AM, but for a change, the snow that was initially predicted for yesterday, as well as that which was predicted for today, seems to have fallen notably shy of what was expected.

Likewise, the -31 f. that was initially predicted for 2 nights ago, never came to reality.

Cool..... on all counts... as opposed to 'cold'..

Up until this recent set of developments, NOAA's predictions of 2" of snow had often translated into 5"+, and a prediciton of a low of -10 f had typically translated into a low of -20+ f. .... At least here.

I guess the old adage about flipping a penny and it only coming up heads so many times (unless someone stuck some weight to one side of it) is true afterall. I'd been starting to wonder about that... a lot.

The poly-barrels of heating oil are at the barn now, bagged and tarped, thanks to my oldest son.

We'll wait for a warmer day to transfer the fuel oil, along with the remaining 60-gallon poly-drum that was a left-over from the last time, when it wouldn't/couldn't fit into the main tank.

#1 heating oil dropped about .20 cents a gallon a couple days after I picked up about 170 gallons of the stuff... Fucking Murphy. He loves me. About $35 tossed to the wind.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
trade you some warm weather, high winds, possible tornadoes with large hail (up to baseball, allegedly), torrential downpours and flooding (still got a search on here for some poor fuck ended up in the Holston a week ago) for a bit of y'alls cold and snow... any takers ? i'd KILL for snow... :badday:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got about an inch and a half rain so far and another inch or so potentially on the way. Cold today only about 43 F, but going to be back up to 68F again monday! Plants are going to start to pop!

moose eater

-9 f. on the front porch this morning, with no sun on the stiles the thermometer's attached to.

NOAA, at the airport in town, is calling for -20 f tonight, with another smattering of snow today. Which means unless we get an inversion (missing for most of the winter), we'll likely be -25 f to -28 f. tonight here.

Still trying to assess the oldest snowmobile's 'cutting out' during specific angles and turns, which might be the fuel pick-up in the bottom of the tank, or the fuel pump, fuel line contamination, or electrical, though it's got a new ignition coil on it, and I'm putting in a new CDI I had on-hand here soon, if not today.

Stator's another suspect, and oddly enough, they have an old crusty vintage stator on the shelf in town that was normally list-priced for an obscene amount of money, but they've offered it to me at a significant discount, probably because it's likely been there for years.

New machine is in town geting wide ski skins, tunnel protectors and carbide screws/'picks' in the track today.

Younger son's still waiting on the oil pressure sending unit for the older freighter machine.

Murphy still likes me, apparently. Wish he'd find a new friend.

Satellite phone to charge, booster packs to charge, gun(s) to oil, tackle to sort, food to prepare, fuel jug gaskets to replace, ice augers to fire up and perhaps tune, a trailer to take the tarp off of and make sure the journals are all ice-free (tedious hours with a heat gun), tires to inflate to 'heavy load pressures', a generator to prep, and who-knows-what-else. ARGH!!!!

Getting closer to time to launch, so the stress of preparations not completed, exacerbated by natural procrastination, whereby the stagnance hovers until the need and stress rise to the point that they catapult me into action; it's getting there. No, it's -there-!! Or, 'here', or what ever.

Last edited:

moose eater

Did somebody mention weather? 6 - 10" of white shit is threatened overnight with a Winter Storm Warning in effect. Texas is getting the blame for sending a low north or something but I will let the conspiracy nuts discuss that on 4chan. My blessed snow blower is ready. :rasta:
The California side of the Sierra-Nevada Mountians is supposedly getting 7 ft. of snow, mostly there already from the reports, and people supposedly trapped in their homes.

I guess if I were to be trapped, in my home would be my preference.

Either that, or a really good steak and seafood joint. Or maybe a Coffee Shop with lots of good hash on the menu. Or a really good steak and seafood joint with good coffee and lots of good hash on the menu. Or....

igrowone

Veteran
Did somebody mention weather? 6 - 10" of white shit is threatened overnight with a Winter Storm Warning in effect. Texas is getting the blame for sending a low north or something but I will let the conspiracy nuts discuss that on 4chan. My blessed snow blower is ready. :rasta:
foot coming in upstate ny easy
but I remember the year of the wicked snow in boston
that was a 3 foot+ event up my way

armedoldhippy

Veteran
The California side of the Sierra-Nevada Mountians is supposedly getting 7 ft. of snow, mostly there already from the reports, and people supposedly trapped in their homes.

Either that, or a really good steak and seafood joint. Or maybe a Coffee Shop with lots of good hash on the menu. Or a really good steak and seafood joint with good coffee and lots of good hash on the menu. Or....
talking my language now! that last spot you mentioned, what was the name? :yummy:

piper

7 feet of snow is nothing, try getting it in less than 20 hours ;)

moose eater

We set a record in Valdez Alaska in the early 1990s with 48+ inches of wet heavy coastal snow in 24 hours.

The winter of 1989 there, they had over 50'.

People sometimes take snowblowers up on their roof tops to clear the roofs, and use front-end loaders to do the streets.

After half of the winter is passed most years, the roads looked like tunnels of snow, as did the driveways. Lots of privacy that way.

Three Berries

Between the rain and snow we got out 1" of water they forecasted. Much welcomed. About 3" of snow but that will be gone today with mid 40fs for highs. Maybe the mini drought were were in is coming to an end? Looks like another repeat next weekend with the rain/snow wintery mix.

piper

We set a record in Valdez Alaska in the early 1990s with 48+ inches of wet heavy coastal snow in 24 hours.

The winter of 1989 there, they had over 50'.

People sometimes take snowblowers up on their roof tops to clear the roofs, and use front-end loaders to do the streets.

After half of the winter is passed most years, the roads looked like tunnels of snow, as did the driveways. Lots of privacy that way.
We just got over this

This is common here

When the storm was over we had 80+ inches

Attachments

• snow.jpg
    snow.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 32