What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I said, back in 2014 that Walmart of weed was going to dominate the market, What now?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Legalization has brought a huge cannabis mononoply to Canada and Cali. and some Med states as well.

Terra tech is taking control of the market share very quickly.
I tried to warn of this back in 2014 but the news was not recieved well.

Does anyone think that the Walmart of weed is a good thing for consumers?

Pretty soon their may be just one supplier running many small companies from the shadows.

Do you think it will this be good or bad for canna consumers?

Thanks
Shag
You haven't seen anything yet. Wait until Bayer/Monsanto start making deals with them. You won't be able to pull a plant or seed without the magic hormones to give them.

beta

Veteran
You haven't seen anything yet. Wait until Bayer/Monsanto start making deals with them. You won't be able to pull a plant or seed without the magic hormones to give them.

This is horse shit.

A) Nobody is forced to buy seeds from Monsanto

B) There are no 'magic hormone' seeds from Monsanto or anyone else

C) Cut it out with the pseudo-scientific fear mongering.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This is horse shit.

A) Nobody is forced to buy seeds from Monsanto

B) There are no 'magic hormone' seeds from Monsanto or anyone else

C) Cut it out with the pseudo-scientific fear mongering.

I was born on a farm with 10 siblings and 5 still farm. I have a dozen first cousins who have been farming for 60 years and the kids are starting to take over. Ya.. I'm qualified to post what I did.

Monsanto owns Miracle-Grow. Monsanto just submitted their first Cannabis seed patent. Look at the genetic modification called the Terminator Gene that can make a plant produce sterile seeds. Monsanto owns the patent on this technique but has promised not to use it (Leave us alone and we'll be good.)

You can keep trusting them, I won't ever.

beta

Veteran
I was born on a farm with 10 siblings and 5 still farm. I have a dozen first cousins who have been farming for 60 years and the kids are starting to take over. Ya.. I'm qualified to post what I did.

Monsanto owns Miracle-Grow. Monsanto just submitted their first Cannabis seed patent. Look at the genetic modification called the Terminator Gene that can make a plant produce sterile seeds. Monsanto owns the patent on this technique but has promised not to use it (Leave us alone and we'll be good.)

You can keep trusting them, I won't ever.

If you know so much, why are you saying that terminator technology has anything to do with hormones? 'Terminator seeds' simply do not produce viable offspring. That's it.

Even if it did exist as a technology in the real world (it doesn't) nobody can MAKE you buy it if you don't want it.

People buy Monsanto's products by choice because the like the features they provide. If you don't like Monsanto traits, don't buy Monsanto seeds.

I really don't see what the problem is besides your over the top conspiracy theorizing.

beta

Veteran
You can't even get basic agricultural facts right. Monsanto does not own Miracle Grow - Scott's owns Miracle Grow.

Monsanto doesn't even exist anymore, they were purchased by Bayer and rolled into their operations.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You can't even get basic agricultural facts right. Monsanto does not own Miracle Grow - Scott's owns Miracle Grow.

Monsanto doesn't even exist anymore, they were purchased by Bayer and rolled into their operations.
Tell me, I'm just wondering here.... how many years have you been cash cropping?

Monsanto ownership of MG is via Hawthorne and Bayer is dropping the "Monsanto" name. Scotts is Monsanto's exclusive agent for the marketing and distribution of consumer products.

I think you should do a little research there kid. Monsanto had been using rapeseed with hormones as the sprouting trigger for years. Don't know if it happened. It may be part of the terminator gene.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2017/06/21/monsanto-bayer-maneuvering-take-cannabis-industry/

https://www.profitconfidential.com/marijuana/monsanto-bayer-merger-marijuana-stocks/
"Meanwhile, another 89% believe that the Monsanto-Bayer merger will result in increased pressure for chemically dependent farming."

Anyway, I'm in no mood to argue with someone who trusts Bayer/Monsanto's $65 Billion dollar deal to be "just business" with no plans for an emerging market other than to keep selling corn and soy bean.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Same problem that plagues almost all US/Global businesses. The anti monopoly laws have been thrown out the window. Its a free for all, for corporate greed.

Competition is good. Monopolies, vertical or horizontal are bad. Also reasonable profit caps, or hard tax caps. Sure a company works really hard, and does well, they deserve an extra slice of the pie. Nobody needs the entire pie, especially not a multi billion dollars a year pie.

People begging, wishing, for a single dollar or even just clean water or some food in many parts of the world....

Mr^^

beta

Veteran
Tell me, I'm just wondering here.... how many years have you been cash cropping?

Monsanto ownership of MG is via Hawthorne and Bayer is dropping the "Monsanto" name. Scotts is Monsanto's exclusive agent for the marketing and distribution of consumer products.

So in other words... Scott's isn't owned by Monsanto. Scott's rebrands a few of their products for the consumer market.

I think you should do a little research there kid. Monsanto had been using rapeseed with hormones as the sprouting trigger for years. Don't know if it happened. It may be part of the terminator gene.

https://www.wakingtimes.com/2017/06/21/monsanto-bayer-maneuvering-take-cannabis-industry/

So in other words, it has nothing to do with the terminator gene, just like I said. Plants -require- hormones to sprout whether they're genetically modified or not.

https://www.profitconfidential.com/marijuana/monsanto-bayer-merger-marijuana-stocks/
"Meanwhile, another 89% believe that the Monsanto-Bayer merger will result in increased pressure for chemically dependent farming."

How specifically? Is anyone anywhere forced to purchase their products?

Anyway, I'm in no mood to argue with someone who trusts Bayer/Monsanto's $65 Billion dollar deal to be "just business" with no plans for an emerging market other than to keep selling corn and soy bean.

That's a lovely straw man you have there. It'd be a shame if someone were to burn it down.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran

Bayer is plenty evil too. Monsantos just has a worse name in recent years, so they retired it.

https://www.i-lawsuit.com/the-dark-history-of-bayer-drugs/

Now they own hydrofarm and sunlight supply. Good luck growing indoors and not somehow paying these criminals.

shaggyballs

Veteran
2017 - Scott's acquired Can-fan/Filters

Bayer is worse, and larger and more powerful, they have the power to influence legislation.
Bayer is a quiet company doing their thing in the dark.
So don't expect to hear much about what they do or are doing.

P-NUT

Veteran
Beta your right you don't have to buy their seed but if you farm near anyone growing their seeds they will pollinate your crop and you cant legally save that seed to replant because it contains their patented genes. They can and most likely will sue you unless you pay them for your seed. Its a shady game they play.

P-NUT

Veteran
And fuck bayer my great grandma was a heroin addict because they sold it over the counter as a treatment for whooping cough. Cant see how their past history hasnt got them boycotted. Maybe we need to get the ceo to call someone a fag or the n word and then theyll be gone in no time. Because you know death and destruction of peoples lives aint no thang but you better not call me a name.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Maybe we need to get the ceo to call someone a fag or the n word and then theyll be gone in no time. Because you know death and destruction of peoples lives aint no thang but you better not call me a name.

Welcome to 21st century America. I weep for the future.

beta

Veteran
Maybe we need to get the ceo to call someone a fag or the n word and then theyll be gone in no time. Because you know death and destruction of peoples lives aint no thang but you better not call me a name.

The fact that you called it the 'N Word' tells me that you understand why it's unacceptable to most people for you to use deeply biased and hateful language.

LoL, whines about language policing and then polices himself because he knows its the right thing to do. :laughing:

P-NUT

Veteran
I said n word because Im not a racist piece of shit not because what anyone thinks. Ive been called all kinds of things in my life but never felt someone should loose everything for calling me a name. Ive also been carjacked by some Guatemalan immigrants and still dont believe we should be building a fucking wall. So I see you cant debate the facts I posted about being forced to buy their seeds. I grew up on a farm. Our neighbors had a 7000 acre farm/ranch so I know a little bit about the fuckery going on. They lost that land due to greedy corporate pieces of shit. So if you want to defend the assholes responsible for fucking up and poisoning our food supply be my guest but expect me to counter with reality.

707OGBUSH970

Lol! I'm beginning to agree...

Beta seems to exist only to argue about the most ridiculous things possible. I have only made 14 online comments since I got off the original Overgrow when it got shut down 15 years ago, and one of them is this, about how annoying this little guy is. That tells you something...Wow!