What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New room same cuts now 'hermied' for over a year....

Jmo420

New room roughly 19x20 with 9 gavitas growing in roots soil/5gal grow bags. Main cuts grown; gsc, animal cookies and gg4. Have had a plant or two of candyland and dosi on the side. So I moved to my current spot built my room and started with my trusty gsc cut. Never had any problems with it at all for years. So I veg under t5s btw.... Moved my girls into flower room and tranp from #2 to 5 g bags where I slowly upped the light intensity after 4/days theb flipped after 7-9. First run or two was in a built soil, water and teas only. Plants looked amazing until week 5 or so then went downhill. Buds still looked good, harvested and trimmed..... SEEDED. Thought at first that maybe it was some dumb luck from outside pollen or something. No light leaks or power plug lights..Tried again, same result noticed few male.spots and banana clusters exploding out of calyx on bottom side of lower buds. Axed the built soil, went to bottle with canna. All cuts, same results over and over except plants looked good the whole time.. Covered alll green lights even (co2 reg and gavita controller) and heated my water to 71 same result. Anyone have any advice? Its not light leaks, heat (78 degrees lights on 72 off) or improper watering/feeding humidity Does anyone think there is a connection with the gg4 'dud' virus or whatever? These cuts hadnt done this on me before this place. I'm not a novice grower and this has plagued me for over a year, lost a lot of time and money. Plucking banana sacks and male flowers and misting w water to sterilize pollen as best I can in the mean time. Scrapped all in house cuts.and got clones from a trusted outside source for next run. 2 friends at 2 diff spots have the same shit going on, which makes me think its some sort of virus...Hopeful for diff results but after 18 months or so I'm still nervous.. Thanks for yalls time, if more info is needed let me know.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hmmm, very odd indeed and does sound like you know your shit and bases are covered...I'm clueless with the given information. Especially after getting things dialed in and still same issue...

Are you doing any sort of pruning, training, or defoliation?

I never trust green lights ever either but you corrected that...

On the 'virus' issue is there no way to test for it or to see any effects of it?

You heated your water to 71 degrees? Definitely wouldn't water with colder...

You posted in soil forum so I take it you are not hydro?

rjrom90

Could it be caused by the large difference in light intensity going from T5s to Gavitas? I imagine the plants could have a stress response to such a large increase in light. Maybe try vegging with more light.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Could it be caused by the large difference in light intensity going from T5s to Gavitas? I imagine the plants could have a stress response to such a large increase in light. Maybe try vegging with more light.

Yeah I would try vegging from gavitas only and never switched over. Light change is really the only thing here in the equation I can see so far. I recently switched to cobs and started my run from start under my cobs due to paranoia about this.

Jmo420

I do top my plants throughout thier veg cycle but have never had a prob before with those methods. I usualy top here and yhere and stop a day or two before switch. Start of week 3 I trim up/lollipop my plants and that's when the weird hermie shit is really noticeable. The same methods that were successful were just copied and set up in a different spot. The diff in light intensity is possible but plants never really show signs of stress. I forgot to mention when I move under gavitas I only turn on 6 for the first couple days on 500. Then plug in the last 3, wait a few days then bring up intensity 50 watts every day or 100 every other day. This time vegged the entire time at 500 until I flipped then slowly turned up to 1000. Last night during steaking up I found 2 spots. I did at one point think the t5s might be it. But I use 4 sun blaze 400w t5s to veg under which is def not a 1k gavita but in terms of watts per sq ft it's not that far apart (gavitas turned down) unless thats really not how it works..? My water was coming out around 66-68 sometimes lower so I thought of possible rhizome shock but no chance when water was heated. I have a blue rhino whole house filter just for my flower room so I don't think it's from something in the water. I've also found posts about the dudding but people have claimed to send in duds to have tested and its come back.negative. Also nobody has mentioned hermie or hormonal breakdown that Ive experienced. Or they just dont want to say since it makes herb close to wrothless in this market...If you look up dudding cannabis you can probably find a distinct 0pic of it faster than i can upload obe lol

Jmo420

I may try to find additional lighting of see if I can run juice so I can get a gavita or 2 in there since that really is the only big diff in room to room

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do top my plants throughout thier veg cycle but have never had a prob before with those methods. I usualy top here and yhere and stop a day or two before switch. Start of week 3 I trim up/lollipop my plants and that's when the weird hermie shit is really noticeable. The same methods that were successful were just copied and set up in a different spot. The diff in light intensity is possible but plants never really show signs of stress. I forgot to mention when I move under gavitas I only turn on 6 for the first couple days on 500. Then plug in the last 3, wait a few days then bring up intensity 50 watts every day or 100 every other day. This time vegged the entire time at 500 until I flipped then slowly turned up to 1000. Last night during steaking up I found 2 spots. I did at one point think the t5s might be it. But I use 4 sun blaze 400w t5s to veg under which is def not a 1k gavita but in terms of watts per sq ft it's not that far apart (gavitas turned down) unless thats really not how it works..? My water was coming out around 66-68 sometimes lower so I thought of possible rhizome shock but no chance when water was heated. I have a blue rhino whole house filter just for my flower room so I don't think it's from something in the water. I've also found posts about the dudding but people have claimed to send in duds to have tested and its come back.negative. Also nobody has mentioned hermie or hormonal breakdown that Ive experienced. Or they just dont want to say since it makes herb close to wrothless in this market...If you look up dudding cannabis you can probably find a distinct 0pic of it faster than i can upload obe lol

Was the bolded section standard practice before as well? This is a big red flag to me. If you aren't turning on some lights on, then the plants under them aren't getting enough light....do you recall at all if the problem plants were under the lights that do not come on for the most part?

I really wish I could send you my par meter. I don't think it is light intensity doing this. It may be a lack.

This meter has been a huge help for me setting up rooms. What I thought was causing me problems under gavitas before seems to have just been lack of light coupled with heat.

Those meters are incredibly accurate and so fuckin easy to use I really recommend them to any serious grower.

Your water being as cold as it is I would be sure anyways to heat it up or let it hit room temperature. This is more of paranoia on my part. I know that low will screw clones so I would assume whole plants as well has some effect, but I also do not think this is the culprit.

I am highly intrigued to say the least and hope we can figure this out.

I think you may be being too cautious with your light intensity. I have seedlings under full spectrum cobs right now at 800 par and they are doing great. They were test bunnies...I also had no problems ever starting seedlings under 1k watt hps about 3 1/2 feet above sometimes 4 and lowering them when first set appeared or if I thought the stems were too lanky. I never got par readings on those though.

Jmo420

One of my friends who has the same prob vegs under 2 600(?) gavitas and a plasma and has the same prob in a 5 lighter Thats why I wasn't sold on lighting before, I had forgot all about that. Back to square one. Any other possible ideas I'm overlooking? No bug outbreaks but have treated for thrips and mites with sulfur or monterey to get rid of the early signs when/if theyve showed up. Possible bug carrying something took a bite and has been passed around through moms/cuts? With the cannabis industry chugging along has there been new viruses now affecting cannabis? I'm completely stumped yall

Jmo420

When they first go in flowering they're not big. They all fit in the space under the 6 lights so its not like 1/3 of the plants are not under a hood. After a couple days I spread them out under all 9 and turn on the last 3 and that has been on the last run or two the many previous were all spread out under all 9 and turned on from day 1 in room.

rjrom90

Or maybe try not keeping them under the T5s for as long, then ramp up the gavitas over a longer period of time before entering flower. You mentioned two friends are having issues, are they also running the same genetics and gavitas? If so, those particular genetics are quite prone to hermies which could be the underlying issue.

Regarding genetic breakdown, I have heard of this being a problem when keeping mother plants under fluorescent lighting. If possible, try putting a few plants out under the sun for the summer, then clone them after a while and see if the plants show improved vigor.

Jmo420

One friend uses t5 like me but my other has gavitas and a plasma in veg. And these cuts were rock solid for years under the same practices and only recently started goin crazy.. I know some claim cookie fam shit may be hermie prone but it seems like whatever cut cookie fam or not does this wild shit . They are also very vigorous aside from the 2 in 100 that dud but they get tossed asap. Cats have had the same tired growing og cuts for a decade plus but they're not goin wild from being so old that im aware of. I know diff genetics so its kinda like apples to oranges but cookie has og in it...

Easy7

Veteran
If I had a cut that was a bastard hermie I don't think I'd work with it. There is plenty out there yet. Maybe cut loses and try to work it into a cross for further working and analysis and try to find something with good traits and less likely to hermie.

One thing that can send a grow down the shitter is attachments to gear, cuts and all that. Pleny of weed out there that is good enough, tons.

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have always flowered under gavitas?

How are you treating with sulfur? I know one of the biggest lessons I ever learned in the first couple years of doing this was to never use fuckin well water ever again without knowing 1 million percent what was in it. Sulfur in it destroyed my crops several times, but it also gave obvious signs of malnutrition. I almost thought I off gassing again.

If others aren't using sulfur as well then this not it either. Man this is a tough one because you aren't new. Are all genetics you are running going hermie? Have you tried not running the cuts and run other genes?

I don't see how this could be any sort of genetic drift or epigenetic issue...

It's just very strange all of you having the same issue with the same damn cuts. Are your other buddies not running any other genes either? We need some control samples in the mix to help narrow things down. If it is just the cuts changing...wow.

Jmo420

Always flowered under gavitas inside. I haven't used sulfur as a foliar spray on evey run but the times I did I sprayed 2tbsp a gollon once then waited 3 days and hit again if bus still present. Plants never showed any leaf burn or funny coloring after spray and that was only in veg. A friend is running new cuts as we speak so we will see if they show since its gonna be a minute before I get done with this run and try a full room of new gear

Easy7

Veteran
Sulfur turns into sulfuric acid via bacteria. I give sulfur to blueberries to lower the ph. Gave a bit too much over the last year, as well as this last fall and spring. The large ones are doing great, some smaller bb's have a magnesium lockout from ph. The high p guano is pricey so rock phosphate is planned to be ordered and top dressed this fall. They aren't all fruiting heavily. So the calphos should sustain a long time, with 2x a year goat manure and saw dust when I have saw dust.

Sulfur is very potent at lowering ph and will cause lock out.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Was the bolded section standard practice before as well? This is a big red flag to me. If you aren't turning on some lights on, then the plants under them aren't getting enough light....do you recall at all if the problem plants were under the lights that do not come on for the most part?

I really wish I could send you my par meter. I don't think it is light intensity doing this. It may be a lack.

This meter has been a huge help for me setting up rooms. What I thought was causing me problems under gavitas before seems to have just been lack of light coupled with heat.

Those meters are incredibly accurate and so fuckin easy to use I really recommend them to any serious grower.

Your water being as cold as it is I would be sure anyways to heat it up or let it hit room temperature. This is more of paranoia on my part. I know that low will screw clones so I would assume whole plants as well has some effect, but I also do not think this is the culprit.

I am highly intrigued to say the least and hope we can figure this out.

I think you may be being too cautious with your light intensity. I have seedlings under full spectrum cobs right now at 800 par and they are doing great. They were test bunnies...I also had no problems ever starting seedlings under 1k watt hps about 3 1/2 feet above sometimes 4 and lowering them when first set appeared or if I thought the stems were too lanky. I never got par readings on those though.
:tiphat:

GoatCheese

Veteran
[FONT=&quot]So I moved to my current spot built my room and started with my trusty gsc cut. Never had any problems with it at all for years. So I veg under t5s btw.... Moved my girls into flower room and tranp from #2 to 5 g bags where I slowly upped the light intensity after 4/days theb flipped after 7-9.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I do top my plants throughout thier veg cycle but have never had a prob before with those methods. I usualy top here and yhere and stop a day or two before switch. Start of week 3 I trim up/lollipop my plants and that's when the weird hermie shit is really noticeable.[/FONT]

From what you wrote i think you're messing with the plants a fair bit around the time you're about to flip to 12/12; Transplanting them fairly close to light cycle change, topping/pruning your plants fairly hard before and after flipping to 12/12 lights.

Pruning many branches off at the same time can cause stress to the plants and if the hermie-problem starts around the time you cut off branches. It's better to cut off few lower branches every 2-3 days than many at the same time.

Along with all this if there's some environmental factors (light intensity and spectrum change etc.) that causes stress ...If there's maybe slightly hot nutrient feed, all these factors combined could cause enough stress for the plants to hermie, especially if the strain is prone to intersex traits.

Other plants suffer from light-shock, so cannabis can as well. When you grow chili peppers under fluoros for the winter season and the suddenly take them outside under the sun in the spring/summer their leaves can turn pale and die off.

It may not be just one single stress factor that pushes the plants to grow bananas. Transplanting, topping, environmental changes (lights, -intensity), pruning of branches all cause some amount off stress by themselves.

Oh..
What's this talk about "green lights"? Do you have green lights on during the dark-period or what do you mean? I have never used those and i'd rather not disturb the dark-cycle in any way

Easy7

Veteran
I don't think light spectrum change should cause hermie. It may but it shouldn't. Colors in the natural light change many many times a day, as well as intensity. Outdoors couldn't change light anymore than she does.

Maybe some sort of vibration stress. Just too much stressed grower not being mindful?

Latest posts

Latest posts