What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Chang Mai x Pananma Goddess

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks to you canna.ballistic :wave:

I really appreciate your interest in exploring our latest works listed at the R+D section of our website, Thai x Panama is one of those latest crazy sativa hybrids we have recently produced.

Your outdoor Thai x Panama has produced a lovely structure to face the rest of the flowering despite being germinated late in the season, that's the good thing of germinating long flowering sativas late in the season ... they still have the chance to grow enough big to produce a big harvest. With the correct light intensity and constant warm temps she should produce some very nice advances in the upcoming weeks.

Thanks for all your updates! :)

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Arjan :)

Thanks also for sharing your experience with the new Thai x Panama F1 hybrid, your feedback is also greatly appreciated!
Glad you manage to finish them in your greenhouse and even produce some seeds from them by your own :yes:
Seems the flowering time was shorter than expected, probably due to the pollination.

The pure Thai Chiang Mai mother is almost immune to botrytis, but Panama Goddess is a bit sensible to it due to the very big and dense flower structure she produces. The best way to proof the mold resistance of a new strain/hybrid is to grow them in a very humid and not properly ventilated greenhouse or when the outdoor plants are exposed to constant rains in late flowering.

Looks like your Thai x Panamas lean more in flowering towards the more leafy and foxtailed Thai flowering structure instead of the tighter flowering formation of modern Panamas.

How were the aromas of the plants before harvest ? Lime citric, green tea and spicy ?
Guess it is still too early for a smoking test, but i'm really curious to know your opinion about their smoke once the harvest has been dried and cured a bit. Thanks again!

Arjan

Hello dubi,

It was just one plant of four that was harvested because of mold and it was full of seeds and in my experience seeded bud almost always molds with high humidity.

From the other plants, only one has a bit of mold but because of the open bud structure it does not spread and I can easily remove it.
The two other plants were topped when they were young and these have smaller buds and no mold at all.
Overall these are great healthy vigourous plants with a great smell and no sign of hermie even under harsh conditions.

Here is a picture of the remaining three plants;

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Arjan,

Glad to know the botrytis only affected one plant. You are right, a heavily seeded plant is more sensible to molds in late flowering because the plant is spending most of her energies in ripening all the seeds, and doesn't have much energies left to protect herself from pathogens. Also, once the seeds are very ripe and the coat protecting them starts to die, it can produce necrosis and fungus and from there botrytis can start to spread.

Arjan

Today I harvested all plants, they looked pretty ripe and next week the weather is going to be colder and wetter so it was better to harvest now.
I find it difficult to describe smells but I will give it a try.
There is a panama incensey kind of smell, but also a spicey, soapy, woody, lime/lemon kind of smell, one plant also had a pepper smell.

It smells really nice for pure sativa but that is no surprise with panama as a parent.
The smell is however not as strong as pure panama, it is a bit more subtle.

I hope my reports and pictures have been informative to you guys.
For a smoke report it is a bit too soon it will probably need a minimum of 6 months of curing.

Greetings,

Arjan

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Arjan,

Although Panama aromas really shine in all her hybrids, the flowering traits of this Thai x Panama hybrid clearly leans towards the Thai side:
spicy, lime, sour, woody are usually the kind of aromas i link with this Thai Chiang Mai parental plant. Panama Goddess parental plant produces louder lemony/incensey terpenes.

No rush for the smoke report. I also like to cure the pure sativas for at least 3-6 months before i can judge them properly. Thanks again for your feedback and congrats on your sativa harvest!

canna.ballistic

Harvested my Thai Chiang Mai x Panama Goddess a few days ago at just over 10 weeks into flower. She was fairly close to being finished (maybe a week away), but she had to come down due to getting a bad case of botrytis (i.e. bud-rot).

The pros ... fast growing, nice growth structure, big dense buds with great trichome coverage, lovely lemony, incensy, sweet woody aromas (the favorite smelling plant in the garden for quite a few people).

The cons ... there is certainly a pheno which is very subject to bud-rot (Arjan also had one plant out of four which suffered from botrytis) ... no doubt the big dense buds (presumably Panama Goddess leaning) made this plant susceptible to bud-rot in my subtropical environment, although a Thai Chiang Mai leaning plant would probably be more resilient.

If growing in a humid climate, expect heavy bud-rot loses if you get a Panama Goddess leaning girl. If growing in drier environments, then the plant should be a winner in your garden. If growing indoors, good luck ... you are going to need a higher ceiling !!

Both photos are from about three weeks ago (i.e. 7 weeks into flower) ... just before the bud-rot started setting in.

picture.php

... I thought I would be getting a harvest of fine looking buds at this point of time ... but two to three weeks later it was a very sad sight !! :yoinks: And unfortunately the buds were just too dense for something like potassium bicarbonate to be effective.

picture.php

I still managed to get a few ounces of clean bud off the plant, which are currently being dried and cured. I will return with a smoke review in a few months ...

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi canna.ballistic,

Thanks a lot also for your feedback on this new F1 sativa hybrid. :yes:
You are right, Panama has been bred towards such dense flowering structures that Panama phenos in Panama hybrids are a bit sensible against botrytis if conditions are very humid in late flowering.

Anyway, glad to hear you and your friends have enjoyed with her woody, lemony and incensey terpene profile. Very curious to know your opinion about her smoke after drying and curing process.

deepwaterdude

Incredible plant structure, or just perfect! Lateral branches not too long, might be nice for SOG indoors, controlling that humidity. Really nice buds!

Rory Borealis

Veteran
Harvested my Thai Chiang Mai x Panama Goddess a few days ago at just over 10 weeks into flower.

The cons ... there is certainly a pheno which is very subject to bud-rot (Arjan also had one plant out of four which suffered from botrytis) ... no doubt the big dense buds (presumably Panama Goddess leaning) made this plant susceptible to bud-rot in my subtropical environment, although a Thai Chiang Mai leaning plant would probably be more resilient.

If growing in a humid climate, expect heavy bud-rot loses if you get a Panama Goddess leaning girl.

Sorry to hear about your bud rot issues. I grow in a hot and humid climate, as well. Try this remedy on your plants, begin with the first week of flowering. Dilute 1 tablespoon of dairy milk (whole milk, 2%, skim, it doesn't matter.) in 1 gallon of water. Spray the plants TWICE each week. The beneficial bacteria in the milk will spread all over the plant, creating a protective barrier against botyritis and other types of mold. My grow climate is VERY hot and humid and this has worked for me while growing dense indicas as well as sativas with thick bud structures. I hope this helps.

canna.ballistic

Sorry to hear about your bud rot issues. I grow in a hot and humid climate, as well. Try this remedy on your plants, begin with the first week of flowering. Dilute 1 tablespoon of dairy milk (whole milk, 2%, skim, it doesn't matter.) in 1 gallon of water. Spray the plants TWICE each week. The beneficial bacteria in the milk will spread all over the plant, creating a protective barrier against botyritis and other types of mold. My grow climate is VERY hot and humid and this has worked for me while growing dense indicas as well as sativas with thick bud structures. I hope this helps.

Hey, Rory B ... thanks for sharing that info about the milk.

I have used milk before, but usually only after I had already noticed some botrytis on the plant ... I did not find the milk as effective as potassium bicarbonate, but I was only applying it short-term to try and knock back the dreaded budrot after it had already established ... and towards the end of a grow with fat buds, even the K bicarb was no good as it couldn't penetrate the buds properly.

I like your remedy of spraying earlier and regularly with the milk to establish a protective barrier of beneficial bacteria ... I will try that next season. I am assuming that by the time the buds fatten up, the 'bene bacts' are established deep within the bud, preventing the fungal spores from setting ... i.e. prevention is easier than cure !!

The sad thing with the Thai Chiang Mai x Panama buds is that most of them looked good and healthy from the outside ... it was only after I had harvested and was doing some basic trimming that I noticed lots of the buds had some botrytis deep within them. The botrytis seemed to be starting from the pre-flowers located on the stem where every bud forms ... and which had subsequently died back, leaving an optimal site for the fungi to establish. I can see that a layer of 'bene bacts' would prevent the budrot from getting established on the dead pre-flowers.

How does the milk spray work in conjunction with the application of other foliars (e.g. BT for caterpillars, seaweed, fertilisers) ??

Rory Borealis

Veteran
How does the milk spray work in conjunction with the application of other foliars (e.g. BT for caterpillars, seaweed, fertilisers) ??

It's all about spore wars. Build the shield before the alien invaders arrive. Kinda liken 'Space Invaders' :). In my experience, the milk was as good as soap, yet I'd rather smoke milk than soap. The organic defense against caterpillars is diatomaceous earth. It's like a layer a razor glass that slices the bugs up. Ants are a big issue here, so I use Saigon Cinnamon-it's available at your local grocery store, next to regular cinnamon. I make a circular barrier around the base of the stem. Ants hate that stuff. It's like a voodoo barrier that they don't want to cross until it rains. Once they cross the cinnamon line, the diatomaceous earth is waiting. If they make it past that, the bacteria barrier is already up, make their visit a little more sour. Neem is something that that is applied early in the vegetative stage, allowing it to soak into the plants cell walls. I have learned through trial and error to build a layered multi-level defense.

Have a look at this thread: Lacto Bacilli: process and discussion. Lacto works even better than just milk.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=96325

Arjan

Beautiful plant canna.ballistic!

Too bad about the mold, I thought it would be more mold tolerant because of the thai genetics.

How is the smell on the curing buds? To me it smells like green tea and leather, really unusual but very nice.

I have been testing the buds a couple of times , at first it was pretty mellow, euphoric, clear and relaxing but last weekend I vaped some bud and it was already really potent. I have grown panama a couple times and this is already more potent than panama, it was almost too much for me.

Morglie

Thai Chang Mai x Panama around 3 weeks under 11/13 lighting. Lots of lateral branching on her. She's already stretched close to 100%.

IMG_20190612_172328.jpg

IMG_20190612_172838.jpg

IMG_20190612_172830.jpg

right

Sweet ! Is this still in the R & D stage? I wonder how dominant the panama is .

My ace Panama had wider leaves.

Last edited:

qball520

Last year, whilst chatting with Luis from Ace about an order, he mentioned they had recently made a Thai Chiang Mai x Panama Goddess cross which had just become available (I think it is now listed in the 2019 R&D catalogue). It sounded too interesting to pass by, so I added it to my order ... thanks Luis :) !!

I popped a seed of the Thai Chiang Mai x Panama Goddess just before Christmas, and transplanted it outside into the ground when it was three weeks old. She has been subject to very hot and humid conditions since then (although very little rain), but has shown no issues with the challenging conditions. Now just on 5 foot tall, and starting some nice stretch, although no pistils showing within the buds yet.

Fantastic looking large 'alligator' leaves, good strong stem, and decent branching.

Stem smells are presently sweet spicy cedar, although there was also some over-ripe tropical fruit smells a couple of weeks ago.

Photos are from the start of the month (three weeks ago)
View Image View Image

She looks super beautiful and healthy. That's sounds like an amazing cross. Cant wait to see how she turns out!

Latest posts

Latest posts