What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SOG (12/12 almost from seed), pots vs beds ?

kersey

Just started a grow, this is a "in between cycles" grow that's a little pressed for time. ~20 regular seeds popped in solo cups. Going to switch to 12/12 very soon, 1week veg tops.

4x4 tent, 600W HPS with a cooltube + a 1200W china LED.
Strain is a OGK F1 hybrid.
Growing in soil.

What do you guys think would be optimal, lots of smaller pots vs a few "beds" (storage bins) with ~5 plants in each one.

I usually run 3 or 5 gal pots with fewer sexed plants.

Obv it would be easier to move the plants around in individual pots, but I'm thinking that the beds offer more root space after I cut the males out.

Any input is highly appreciated!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Beds will provide more root space.

So long as the plants grow at a similar rate, issues should be minimal.

Beds vote from me.

I normally would do 3-7gallon pots to flower in, but recently used a 45gallon geopot "bed" to flower my 16 seedlings in, I did veg a couple weeks so no 12/12 but that shouldn't be much different.
I ended up with 8 females after cutting out males and a runt or two.

This is only under 250w of COB leds, I think these are the biggest plants I have had under that small of wattage. they would have been smaller in 5 gallons pots and no way would I be able to fit 8 let alone 16 in my small tent.

picture.php

picture.php

kersey

thats very impressive! how close where the seedlings to each other? No issues with root competition etc? is that even a thing....?

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Competition is and isnt a thing.. they wont hurt each other and they can better fill the pot and eat their way through it..

If they eat through the nutes quicker it wont matter that much as the bud should still be excellent and clean smoking and you will get the most out of the space still..

You can get 10 gallon pots, i use square fabric ones and its effectively a bed, just easier to empty and fill and move around..

thats very impressive! how close where the seedlings to each other? No issues with root competition etc? is that even a thing....?

A few inches, 3-9". I haven't seen much competition between plants that much.

The most stout plants with genetics that you would expect to be small are still small. And likewise my Ace zamaldelica is being the sativa you expect.
But overall it was a fun experience and challenge. I'm trying 1-3 plants next.