What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growstones

Hey guys wonder who here's utilizing grow stones in their Aresenal to replace hydroton or perlite? I have read great things about higher air to water ratio but I've also read conflicting reports regarding problems stabilizing pH in this stuff (as it causes it to rise). What's your experienc?

I have also been wondering this. I have a friend who raves about them, but I'm not sold on having multiple big ass solid stones in there.

dissolute

fantastic soil/soiless amendment but do not run the big ones alone in EnF hydro because they just don't seem to hold nearly as much as hydroton/similar sized stones. but I guess they make a smaller one now too. I plan to get more for organic beds, but never for EnF.

How do they compare to perlite. I have read mixed reviews regarding the pH swing they cause because they r made with calcium carbonate I believe

gmanwho

Veteran
love the grwostones, will never use hyrdroton again. they are lighter, easier to clean, higher air ratio. one of the best things is the stones seem to " lock " against each other, the plant is much more stable in the grow stones vs hydroton

bsafe

gmanwho

Veteran
Appreciate the feedback. Have you had any ph problems with growstones? I have read mixed reviews regarding this very topic

at first the growstones usually raise the ph alot, but they will settle out over a week or 2 an will not be such a drastic ph daily change. if you dealing with small rezs then that might be more noticeable

another story but i dont want a super ph stable medium anyways. my plants like,so i like the raising of ph. so............ i bring the rez to 5.4 at the beginning of fresh rez. 5-6 days later im at 6.2, i just basically ran the whole hydro ph uptake zone. i add back nutes, or just adjust the ph to 5.4-5.6 again an run the small ph swing again. 2-3 swings an then change the rez.

hydroton is round, river rock polished an rounded, the pieces tend to slide off each other. both are heavy mediums an not im sure of your lifting capabilities, this could be a problem.

the growstones are pourice an irregular shaped, they lock into each other and make the root an stems more stable. pourice surface can be good for beneficial bacteria colonies. large air gaps. good drainage

now the other benefit which i failed to mention is the jagged surface of the growstone is veryyyyyy bad for any creepy crawly insects. the jagged glass surface slices their skin open as they drag themselves across.

the only problem i've run into is after a few hours of washing cleaning the stones your hands tend to get raw an small surface cuts. but thats cause your hands have been wet for hours an skin has swelled an "pruned" . no problems other then that an sometimes u get some growstone powder settled on the bottom of containers.

my fungus knat issue has been reduced drastically an not really an issue with no other preventive measures. the stone slices them open in the larvae stage.

to date, one of the best mediums i've used in the 12-15 years i've been messing with hydro.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

these are all 10" net pots that fit over 5 gal buckets...

b well

I am using their aeration mix which is the small perlite sized grow stones gmanwho. Do these provide the same benefits you list as the large ones? Thanks brother and what medium are you using?

gmanwho

Veteran
I am using their aeration mix which is the small perlite sized grow stones gmanwho. Do these provide the same benefits you list as the large ones? Thanks brother and what medium are you using?

i am not sure if the smaller growstones are as stable for the plant. i am using the largest growstones they had at the store. inch an a hlf pices to inch, some half inch.

I also had great results in the past with lava rock as well. but thats sometimes harder to find.

now i like the recycled glass idea an the fact that the bugs get sliced open when walking across, just like diatomaceous earth.

dankalot

at first the growstones usually raise the ph alot, but they will settle out over a week or 2 an will not be such a drastic ph daily change. if you dealing with small rezs then that might be more noticeable

another story but i dont want a super ph stable medium anyways. my plants like,so i like the raising of ph. so............ i bring the rez to 5.4 at the beginning of fresh rez. 5-6 days later im at 6.2, i just basically ran the whole hydro ph uptake zone. i add back nutes, or just adjust the ph to 5.4-5.6 again an run the small ph swing again. 2-3 swings an then change the rez.

hydroton is round, river rock polished an rounded, the pieces tend to slide off each other. both are heavy mediums an not im sure of your lifting capabilities, this could be a problem.

the growstones are pourice an irregular shaped, they lock into each other and make the root an stems more stable. pourice surface can be good for beneficial bacteria colonies. large air gaps. good drainage

now the other benefit which i failed to mention is the jagged surface of the growstone is veryyyyyy bad for any creepy crawly insects. the jagged glass surface slices their skin open as they drag themselves across.

the only problem i've run into is after a few hours of washing cleaning the stones your hands tend to get raw an small surface cuts. but thats cause your hands have been wet for hours an skin has swelled an "pruned" . no problems other then that an sometimes u get some growstone powder settled on the bottom of containers.

my fungus knat issue has been reduced drastically an not really an issue with no other preventive measures. the stone slices them open in the larvae stage.

to date, one of the best mediums i've used in the 12-15 years i've been messing with hydro.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

these are all 10" net pots that fit over 5 gal buckets...

b well

Most of the posts I've read say growstones are giving their plants root rot, so I think you're the only one I found that did it right.

I want to try a side by side next to hydroton in my greentrees buckets, but I think my flood cycle for hydroton will be too much for the growstones. What watering cycle did you find works best for them?

Most of the posts I've read say growstones are giving their plants root rot, so I think you're the only one I found that did it right.

I want to try a side by side next to hydroton in my greentrees buckets, but I think my flood cycle for hydroton will be too much for the growstones. What watering cycle did you find works best for them?

I used them this past run instead of hydroton on the bottom and I like them better. Primarily becuase the large growstones allow me to make a larger hole at the bottom without having to worry about hydroton or coco falling out of my Hempy bucket hole. Roots didn't seem to mind at all either. I will be sticking with the growstones gojng forward

gmanwho

Veteran

they must have had something off. i wanna say grow stones hold less water. an the air gaps are larger.

they lock together better an make for a stable plant, especially when the root system is just starting.......the clones are noticeably ....say 2-3x more stable compared to hydroton.

currently im on to turface. but i still use grow stones to line net pot bottoms. or been trying a 50/50 mix of turface an grwostones...

F HYDROTON.....

bsafe