What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Was There When...

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not vote on any more threads today. [/FONT]

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
Wow starke, as you wrote, in this moment, I remember that my parents gets me outta bed for moonlanding. As I wrote in a post before, on the Sofa again,...:biggrin:

M

moose eater

I was there at McComb Field House in Edinboro, pa. when Zappa recorded Side B of Roxy and Elsewhere, and what I believe was a giant inflated balloon, coated with a mirror finish, floated into the hot lights and exploded, waking me in my half-slumber, from where I was sleeping in the foot boards between the seats in the way-up bleachers. I wasn't all that into Zappa at the time.

Same show, saw a cop down in the middle of the gymnasium trying to apprehend a guy who apparently had a mickey of whisky and a bag of weed. Good old days of solidarity and looking out for each other; the packed crowd would open almost like a mechanical thing, allowing the fellow being pursued to escape further, and close like the narrowing of an hour-glass right behind him, when faced with the presence of the cop in pursuit.

From up high, it looked choreographed. It was quite cool to see folks being both passive, and yet effective in the protecting of 'one of ours.'

Lots of "I was there" moments. Many of them fading into cloudiness these days.

Green Squall

I could have been at the 2004 World Series at Fenway, except we made a family decision to sell the tickets for a shitload of money. It was the Red Sox first Championship since 1918.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was at Alpine Valley when Stevie Ray Vaughn's helicopter crashed into Alpine Valley ski hill.

Gry

Had a buddy stationed in ft hood tell me all kinds of good things about ZZ Top.
When they made it to the DC area, I made a point of buying tickets.
They had a group I had never heard of opening for them, Kiss.
I got to see what I went to go see, but it felt real expensive.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
"I have known adventures, seen places you people will never see.

I've been Offworld and back...frontiers! I've stood on the back deck
of a blinker bound for the Plutition Camps with sweat in my eyes
watching the stars fight on the shoulder of Orion.

I've felt wind in my hair, riding test boats off the black galaxies
and seen an attack fleet burn like a match and disappear.

I've seen it...felt it!"

Roy Batty, portrayed by Rutger Hauer, in the Ridley Scott film Blade Runner (1982)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I could have been at the 2004 World Series at Fenway, except we made a family decision to sell the tickets for a shitload of money. It was the Red Sox first Championship since 1918.

'86 still living in NY, working for a courier service & @ Shea Stadium on behalf of the USA Today newspaper, I collected various rolls of film from their four staff photographer's and then ran them down to our waiting couriers outside the gate, those guys then drove it to White Plains for developing @ USA Today, every other inning I'd send another guy north.

I had a press pass for that gig, got free great food, recliners & monitors in the meal rooms, etc... Being a Yankees fan I didn't take any pleasure watching the Mets beat the Sox, but I was there to see it all @ Shea, games 1, 2, 6 (oh boy), & 7.......

St. Phatty

When the 89 quake came to the SF Bay Area

I was working for a Korean funded electronics start-up in Hayward.

It was funny because the only people with the sense to hide under desks etc. were the women, secretaries etc.

All the male engineers stood around in groups trying to guess how big the quake was. "7 ? Felt like an 8" "No way that was an 8." "Look, that streetlight is still shaking" etc.

It was a radar start up and they had lots of high-voltage power supplies. I was standing next to a tank of 30,000 volt capacitors, all charged up and ready for business, when the shaking started.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
IWTW Russian Red Army goalie, Vladislav Tretiak played his first game in North America. His team played against some minor league kids - the Russians were grown men, but amateurs due to their "army" service - and absolutely murdered them.

I saw the greatest goalie of all time play (who never played in the NHL), from 5 feet away.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holy shit.you win.did you see the wreckage or what?need some kinda details.

I didn't find out about it until the next day when I heard it on the radio on the way into work.

I doubt any concert goers actually saw the crash happen. If I remember correctly, they didn't leave until a couple hours after the show ended. And the whole reason they crashed is because it was really foggy that night.

ETA - NOBODY knew about it until the following morning, when the Helicopter was reported missing by the company that owned it. The wreckage wasn't discovered until 7am the following day. I would have heard it about Noon on my way into work.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

Once I saw Sha Na Na in Central Park.

There were guys selling what looked like camel dung at the entrance.

I think they said it was hash but I was a newcomer to pot.

All I knew was Mexican press brick mersh with seeds etc.

Latest posts

Latest posts