What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vibe in Hawaii

41hope

Gonna move to Hawaii would like advice on where? Which Island is best for growing or plus and minus for each island. Overall opinions on Hawaii market and growing lifestyle.

41hope

Big Island's population is only 45,000 or so with 4,600 or so MJ license seems like 10% of residents are growing. Crime seems pretty bad there and cops probably know who is growing. I'd like to know if this is the best island to grow or is it due to the cheaper rent?

oldhaole

Veteran
Here's the breakdown from a slightly bias point of view....

Kauai is a beautiful island. Very old leached out soil. not many permits there. A market exists. Pretty wet island....very green. There is a dry side, but mostly the island is wet.

Oahu has a million people jammed into 500+ sq miles. Too many rips....They never grow enough so there is a big demand.

Big Island. Bigger than all the rest of the state put together. Weed everywhere. No market except export. Land is cheap. but you have a live volcano or two and you don't want to live downwind or downslope of that puppy. Permits are easy to get, but the island is big as Hawaii goes. East Hawaii (where land is cheapest) has a wild wild west atmosphere.

Maui county....Consists of three inhabited islands and 1 uninhabited. Lanai is too dry and full of deer and sheep. Molokai....you can grow, but the Hawaiians probably won't like you. A lot of Militant Hawaiians there. They are determined to keep the island as backwards as they can. No jobs.

Now Maui.... We have the best beaches. Great soil, not too old and leached out. Not too many people, so there's is a market. Second biggest island. Wide variety of microclimates. They still grow sugar, and that's a great place to grow a crop on the sly. There are jobs, but the whole state runs 20% or more to live here vs the mainland.

Whatever island you pick....we ain't the mainland. We grow far better weed, but the whole vibe is different than the mainland. Things move slower. Go along...you get along.
Draw attention to yourself...you get beat down. Were Islands....hard to run and hide here.

41hope

I like to fish, hunt, mountain bike anything in the water which Island has best activities? I'm an indoor guy probable wont go out door way things are currently. How are the cops? Are they flying around with infrared? Also my plan is to rent any advice? Type of house, neighborhood, is it better to be in the country?
I truly appreciate your help.

41hope

How does outdoor potential differ between Maui & Big Island? Which Island can I meet intelligent, experienced, genuine growers the ones who have the trophy strains? I'm a Botany major in college and I want to learn from the best or pushed to keep up with them/

Midnight

Veteran
How does outdoor potential differ between Maui & Big Island? Which Island can I meet intelligent, experienced, genuine growers the ones who have the trophy strains? I'm a Botany major in college and I want to learn from the best or pushed to keep up with them/

The University of Hawaii has a pretty good ag program. Seek out some of those people and they will hook you up. I know from experience. Just be real damn careful, you fuck with the wrong people and you will end up dead. Those Hawaiian and Samoan boys do not play.

oldhaole

Veteran
Shit...Let's ask a million questions....Take it from the top...

Fish...Big Island is best...it pains me to say.
Hunt?...Any island...But it's who do you know? And the gun laws suck here.
Bike?...any island...that's free.

Indoor? Lose money....power is 35 cents a KW/HR. Here indoor is what you smoke when it's dry.

Cops? Most of them grew up here. Lowest mj arrest record in the nation. Go medical and wave at them as they fly by. Infrared....nope. not Maui.

If ya got the script rent a house in the country....Unless you want to be by the beach...that's kinda crowded.

Next....Outdoor potential? equal. BI has a lot of land, Maui has sugar...where they water AND fertilize for you.

Meet intelligent growers....I have no clue....Only know hacks like myself. Midnight is right, both UH and UH Hilo have great Tropical Ag programs.

supermanlives

Veteran
had a friend from big bear move there. he couldnt take it and moved back to resume his outdoor op. good luck its very beautifull

41hope

Would it be safe to apply for business electric rates? Get a license and be a care taker, with a buddy that would be 14 plants for each of us and our patients. Is it better to rent a warehouse. Any advice on indoor growing in Maui appreciated. Currently yielding close to 2g per watt wanna get above 2 grams. I grow indoor trees to stay with plant limits.
How difficult will it be to get a rental with a cool land lord?

oldhaole

Veteran
It is not uncommon to have people not happy here. If you can last for three years, you'll never want to leave. No seasons, it is who you know, laid back attitude, Type A people don't last long.

Indoor vs outdoor...you get 7 plants. Inside you'd get what? Pound? two? every four months. Outdoor you easily take 10 lbs over long season, Maybe a half lb for short season, and another lb (but loose airy buds) with plants put in xmas and harvested in late April. Yep, that's right. Three seasons here. Grow year round outside if you want.

One good way to inprove indoor grows is to finish the plant in the sun. Best of both worlds.

Look up Hawaii MMJ law. It was written by someone that never smoked a joint in his life.

Very few landlord are that cool. You'd have a better chance of them letting you Medical grow go outside. But you can rent a place from an out of state owner, or head out to the toolies where nobody cares and most everybody grows.

You can't rent a warehouse, there are no dispensaries, so business is done under the table. You grow your own. Maui an outdoor lb goes for 3000. You can get it on BI if you know someone for 500 less.

41hope

Indoor I'm doing 4 plants yeilding 1.5 lbs to 2 per plant I believe by 2013 I will easily surpase 2.5 per plant of high end top dollar strain. So at 2 lbs thats 8 lbs 5 times a year. I need one large bedroom 10 foot in height flower & small room for veg. Figure a 3 bedroom out in the country of Maui for $2,500 to $3,000 power cost will be 2.5 times my current bill. Figure I can survive until laws pass that will increase plant limits. Be happy to build set ups for other growers in Maui that demonstrate the right qualities & willing to hook me up with 70's & 80's genetics.

fedor420

oldhaole gives very good input and i agree with you with almost everything.

only thing i would honestly suggest is NOT getting your medical card out here. it doesnt really help you with anything, if you're caught with it you're still in trouble.

up till this year you could only have 4 vegging plants and 3 flowering that couldnt go over 3 ounces a plant... HOW THE HELL CAN U DO THAT?!
also u gotta register with your address and they can legally search your house with having your card.

i'd just suggest going underground with it and doing it big on maui or the big island. i tried to grow in my backyard but i have an upstairs unit next to my house that are literally all on welfare and never leave their house.
i was sure the smell would waft up and they would come ripping so i moved it indoor with a mini closet op.

fedor420

Indoor I'm doing 4 plants yeilding 1.5 lbs to 2 per plant I believe by 2013 I will easily surpase 2.5 per plant of high end top dollar strain. So at 2 lbs thats 8 lbs 5 times a year. I need one large bedroom 10 foot in height flower & small room for veg. Figure a 3 bedroom out in the country of Maui for $2,500 to $3,000 power cost will be 2.5 times my current bill. Figure I can survive until laws pass that will increase plant limits. Be happy to build set ups for other growers in Maui that demonstrate the right qualities & willing to hook me up with 70's & 80's genetics.

10 foot high ceiling eh? you into the vertical? :)

G

Guest 150314

I thought you could have 20 plants if you are a caregiver? It wouldnt be to hard to rent another address to keep your overage at that isn't legal.

I lived on maui for a few months, is the localism that bad? I didn't experience any.. i also didn't look like a tourist. Made some friends pretty easily, got some free buds from basically a complete stranger I met in a grocery store.

So the cops don't enforce marijuana laws much they just rip your plants? I am suprised the laws are so harsh 5 year felony over 25 plants ..

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
haole has some good advice..

but if I can put mine in.. I've lived in Maui and Oahu

first you need to rent, any place you go, you need to rent, if you don't like the place getting out is simple as that. rent a place that is furnished, and keep your other shit in a container and store it.. far expensive to move over and then move off again

second, live there and see the vibe.. hawaii does not fit most people in the whole world. it is for a select few, most say it is there dream if they could live there, but really they don't know what there talking about

third, Hawaii has major cash flow issues, and there is either very rich people with so much money, or there is very poor people. simple as that

fourth, housing is super expensive, just like the US I guess, but lets just say your average joe ain't buying property in hawaii

fifth, simply put, your either running away from something, or your bum trash that doesn't want anything from life and want's to "chill". if you don't believe me go talk to people there, and you'll discover alot of people went to the islands to flee something bad going on, or as I said you'll encounter people like in a time stop thingy where all the want is nothing from life, they do nothing and that's the basis of there life. not saying this is good or bad but I'm being straight forward with you. look at it from a third eye view, the islands are very far off from other lands, and in the "middle of no-where", the energy there is very potent.

read some books on hawaiian natives, might give you a different perspective

now I'm not disrespecting anyone who lives in hawaii or wants to go there.. but all in all the US shouldn't have invaded there and left the islands to the island people.

41hope

Will they notice the high power bill? Checking cards is that the main reason it does not make sense to get a card? 3 oz per plant that sucks every time they see an outdoor plant its illegal right? So the law won't protect me in Maui only the people is that correct? I just wanna grow in peace and be able to go to school, church, grocery store, video store and fish fish fish. Single guy looking for a new home wanna get along with everyone.