What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I Used To Be A Wet Trimmer

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Now I want to know how to dry trim and do it perfectly. I'm convinced from seeing the results. Just need to know how and what the common mistakes are.

oti$

It's pretty easy. Just let it dry fully then trim it with micro tips.the sugar leaves come off easy...I don't have any specific tricks except holding the buds by their stem, which us pretty obvious.... The smell is better and the trichs stay more fully in tact. Good luck:D

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
In general terms, How long at what humidity level in the room? What about smaller buds that dry sooner? Cut them off the stems in stages, smalls, mediums large? I tried bending the stems, bend - snap, It really depends on how thick the stem is. How do you decide?

Limeygreen

Veteran
Hang dry, crisp on he outside but still slight moisture inside. Trim off leaves and buck into your bud sizes into paper bags. Once a day move your buds around to keep from sating stagnant or giving mold a chance to grow. Fold the bag down more when closer to done to decrease air space. Put into jars when stem in the bud snaps with the familiar crisp break.
Move buds in jars and burp air for about a week, once a day until moisture has evened out.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
After you chop, hang the whole plant upside down and forget it for at least a week (unless you live in the desert).

Snapping stems is as good a way as any to know when they're dry enough to put in jars.

Good luck!

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I've heard about people doing that. Let us know how it works out. I would think you would want the remaining moisture, nutes, etc. to flow DOWN INTO the buds, but maybe I'm wrong.

All you have to do is set up a dehui and a hui. Set the moisture level at 60%. If you are late to trim the buds, they are being kept at the perfect humidity.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've heard about people doing that. Let us know how it works out. I would think you would want the remaining moisture, nutes, etc. to flow DOWN INTO the buds, but maybe I'm wrong.

There can be no nutrient flow if there is no transpiration.

I am a big advocate of dry trimming. Everyone has their methods and beliefs. I remember reading extensively that dry trimming a plant will improve the buds' scent later and is a better overall thing. I believe there's a giant thread here on IC about this and I believe it was a really good debate on this.

The only downside I've found in dry trimming is as the buds dry, the sugar leafs will recede into the buds making trimming a bit of a bitch.

THC123

Veteran
I agree that trimming just before consuming gives the best taste! I always store my herb untrimmed. It also cures better that way even though it looks like shit.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Leaves/stems drying is transpiration, isn't it?

Transpiration is evaporation + guttation.

Why would you want unused nutes IN your buds?
You're feeding to late if this is the case.
Harvest before lights on and the sugars are left in the soil to be left out of the buds.

Pack a bowl of nutes and smoke it.
Hows that taste?

MrBungle

My thing is if i have to dig into a bud for a sugar leaf I'm trying too hard...

I usually wait till a decent branch snaps like a vlasic pickle..in my area that usually takes 5-7 days in the Summer 3-4 days in the Winter....

I like my branches to be about 4-6 inches long (unless its a top bud) and I leave myself a little bit of branch at the bottom to hold onto, so I can spin the branch around between my thumb and fore finger without knocking shit over...

I feel like trimming ALL the sugar leaf isn't completely necessary, a small amount can contribute to the aromas and flavors of the flower

My method is...

1. Chop the entire plant at the stalks
2. Hang entire plants upside down in a dark room
3. Set dehumidifier to 40%
4. 5-6 days later they're usually ready
5. A nice easy dry trim
6. Jars

With dry trimming, it's going to be a lot more crumbly and you're going to get kief over everything. So you want to be in a room with hard easy to clean floors and you want to be conscious that you're going to have a bit of a mess on your hands.

Also, check out bonzai trimmers. They are the single greatest thing humanity has ever created.

bonsai-pruner-bud-leaf-trimmer-small-equisite.jpg

St. Phatty

In general terms, How long at what humidity level in the room? What about smaller buds that dry sooner? Cut them off the stems in stages, smalls, mediums large? I tried bending the stems, bend - snap, It really depends on how thick the stem is. How do you decide?

Frequent testing :woohoo:

GGNo2

I've always trimmed wet except my last crop. My last crop was Finnished away from home and I wasn't willing to leave it hanging in the new location to dry.
Me and the Mrs sat and and took down the branches and trimmed the fan leaves, packed it into a cardboard box and drove home.
I then just hung it with sugars still attached and let it dry.
When it came to the final trim i gotta say I noticed no difference at all other than it seemed to take longer to trim dry sugar leaves over wet.

Latest posts

Latest posts