What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

ambertrichome

Veteran
My experience is that on average is a Fem Seed from a Clone Only Strain is not as good as the original clone.
Ive also A/Bd Fems/Regulars of the same strains, and in 9/10 cases the Regulars were better vs Fems.

Ive also had Fems that were Nothing like the original.

I grew the DJ Short Blue Moonshine Regulars, and were as described. Very Short, Stocky Hedges. Blueberry Muffin smell.

I got the Fems from Dutch Passion, and they were HUGE plants, with an acrid Skunk smell, that was nothing like the original DJ Short, of which DP has DJ Genetics.

I grew the Barneys Farm G13 x Haze Regulars, and it was fire. The Fems. All 20 of them were junk. I could name more.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Ak47, pot of gold, etc.. may not be relevant or popular in your circle, but you have to remember the thousands of people in Europe and other countries, these strains are widely grown. They have definitely stood the test of time. These strains were from male female breeding, fems came much later.

I always find it suspect when people reel off names of classic strains and say they are garbage. To me it sounds like the grower isn't seeing the potential due to lack of environment and growing skills.

djimb

Veteran
Ive also had Fems that were Nothing like the original.

[...]

I got the Fems from Dutch Passion, and they were HUGE plants, with an acrid Skunk smell, that was nothing like the original DJ Short, of which DP has DJ Genetics.

That's another thing to watch out for with fems. I recall seeing in seed descriptions of unscrupulous breeders that they reversed a totally unrelated female to pollinate a well known strain/cut, and then sell the resulting seeds as if they're pure.

3rd-3yed

Veteran
I said legendary, not 'good'. :p

I have never once had a legendary Blueberry. There isn't a legendary blueberry cut that's commonly passed around, as far as I know. What Blueberry is notorious for is people buying seeds, growing them, and being disappointed.

OG, GG#4, GSC, SD, etc are not 'flavors of the month'. They are clearly legendary cultivars that have and will continue to withstand the test of time. They will continue to be commonly found in gardens all over the world unless something better comes along.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?

Legendary cultivars to me are : Skunk#1, Haze, G-13, NL#5 and a few others heirlooms...

Landraces are the building blocks of those legendary cultivars which allowed us to explore our modern genepool. No fem bullshit breeding back in the 70's and 80's. Ok just a lil bit of S1 breeding at some point in Skunk#1 project.

Chem are bagseeds, OG probably too but could be also a regular breeding program, who know... I personaly think that Dogbud wich is the foundation of all the cultivars you've mentioned is coming from a reg breeding program (imo Skunk x Afghan cross or something along those line), otherwise it would be too much of those "happy accidents" /coincidences if it is also coming from a random bagseed. Good fems come only after fire regular breeding in first place.

djimb

Veteran
Just to play devil's advocate, when Tom Hill was around, he was a huge proponent of feminised breeding, and he did make some valid points about the greater speed with which traits could be isolated. I don't know if you can still find his posts anymore though, because he also got into some huge arguments, and many of them were removed.

Also, it's worth noting that the fem camp here don't seem interested in doing any breeding themselves. It seems like they just want to buy seeds and grow flowers, leaving the regs to the folks who want to have the option to make seeds, pollen chuck, or do some actual breeding.

On a separate note, I'm guessing the folks speaking poorly of some of the classics haven't ever smoked a good Haze, Skunk, or Thai. They may not even realize how important they were in the creation of the strains they claim are the best (OG, GG4, and GSC all have Thai in their lineage, and GG4 and Sour Diesel have multiple ingressions of Skunk), or that different strains can have drastically different effects, considering that most of the big names flooding the market are hybrids of all of the above, plus a lot of Chem.

I could be wrong, though. I don't really have any experience with the current 'elites,' just a few ounces of OG from a bagseed I grew. The plant was beautiful, the bud was just ok.

I have, however experienced closed eye visuals from AK-47, extreme visual and auditory distortions from Haze, and a near out of body experience from UW. But that was back in the day. Maybe GG4 and GSC are better. I don't know.

*Edit: just to clarify, I haven't done any serious research into the superhero origin stories of the 'elites.' I looked them up on s e e d finder.

I said legendary, not 'good'. :p

I have never once had a legendary Blueberry. There isn't a legendary blueberry cut that's commonly passed around, as far as I know. What Blueberry is notorious for is people buying seeds, growing them, and being disappointed.

Blueberry is a rather difficult plant to grow, and might well be disappointing, if not grown properly.

G

ganjygav

I used fems for the first 6 or 7 years of growing. Sure I got the odd hermie out of a pack every now and then but that made more sense to me than 50% of the seeds only being female. I ain't breeding, I was only interested in growing buds.

My view on feminised seeds changed only in the last couple of years. I missed one hermie and it pollinated everything in the tent.
Then I tried a couple more grows with fem seeds and the hermies kept coming thick and fast.
I started to doubt myself but I hadn't changed anything about the way I grow.

I won't by fems anymore and I scour the city for clones instead. My clones come from plants that were originally feminised seeds but I've not had any hermies from any of these clones.

I just don't trust them anymore. Seems to be that there was a big drop in quality of the fem seeds from when I started growing. I think it's because the breeders are in too much of a rush to get the new strains out to keep up with the hype strains.

I mean you see clone only strains appear in the forums and people go mad for them. It seems less than a year later some breeder has released seeds of that clone only.
Tell me how vigorously and how they could have made proper selections in such a short time?
They couldn't have been in my eyes and just wanted to make money from the current trendy strains.

beta

Veteran
Blueberry is a rather difficult plant to grow, and might well be disappointing, if not grown properly.

Not only have I not grown a good Blueberry, I've never even *seen* a good Blueberry. imo if there was a good Blueberry out there, it would trade as an elite clone.

G

ganjygav

Did you change your bulb gav?

As in brand or just changed for a new one? I change bulbs every second grow.
Ive always used sunmaster dual spec 400w for veg and 600w for flower but I have changed brands this grow as I brought a new digi ballast with the boost. I'm using lumatek bulbs now.

I'm not saying it's the seeds fault completely and maybe I am not such a careful grower but I used fems for years then all of a sudden I had balls in my face all the time.
They just seem to have gotten way too sensitive recently.
I nearly give up growing because of it but then I found my clone guy

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
Yeah its hard to say, i only ask because i tried to skimp on bulbs one crop and had herms from cuts that were fine for a few runs.

green404

Now, I realize why I don't see good blueberry.

In Oregon and Nth Cali years ago I was getting great Blueberry. Now in the dispensaries I look for it and almost never see it, when I do it looks weak and off. I see tons of A+ BB family like Bluedream, Bluecheese, etc but never good Blueberry.

After reading grow reviews I see, "hard to grow", "bitch", "low yield". I was probably just getting BB from a grower or two that had it dialed in.

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Not only have I not grown a good Blueberry, I've never even *seen* a good Blueberry. imo if there was a good Blueberry out there, it would trade as an elite clone.

Maybe because some clones are not commonly passed around like Chems, OG & Glue but are instead hoarded in small circles... Plus seeing how many growers overfeed their plants, a good Blueberry clone could be easily fucked up in 90% of commercial growers' setup.

Maybe you should try to source and grow a pre-99 Blueberry cut to see how it smoke by yourself ;)

Badfishy1

Now, I realize why I don't see good blueberry.

In Oregon and Nth Cali years ago I was getting great Blueberry. Now in the dispensaries I look for it and almost never see it, when I do it looks weak and off. I see tons of A+ BB family like Bluedream, Bluecheese, etc but never good Blueberry.

After reading grow reviews I see, "hard to grow", "bitch", "low yield". I was probably just getting BB from a grower or two that had it dialed in.

Take a look at MM’s grows. He has got some banger BBs

beta

Veteran
Maybe you should try to source and grow a pre-99 Blueberry cut to see how it smoke by yourself ;)

Maybe someone should give me a decent Blueberry to grow or smoke. Until they do, I'm calling shenanigans.

I don't believe that there is a great Blueberry out there. If there were, it would circulate among growers. The flower would be available for purchase -somewhere-.

I say this as someone who grows and loves Santa Cruz Blue Dream. Blue Dream has a distinctly 'blue' flavor, but it is definitely not a blueberry flavor.

G

ganjygav

Yeah its hard to say, i only ask because i tried to skimp on bulbs one crop and had herms from cuts that were fine for a few runs.

I skimp on a lot of things in life, I complain about the prices of things a lot. People joke about it but there's one thing I never skimp on and that is my growing.
I don't even re use pots. I buy fresh every run lol.

Spaventa

Veteran
Maybe someone should give me a decent Blueberry to grow or smoke. Until they do, I'm calling shenanigans.

I don't believe that there is a great Blueberry out there. If there were, it would circulate among growers. The flower would be available for purchase -somewhere-.

I say this as someone who grows and loves Santa Cruz Blue Dream. Blue Dream has a distinctly 'blue' flavor, but it is definitely not a blueberry flavor.

Ive heard seedsman blueberry are good.I chose them as a freebie on a purchase on the strength of it. Still in the fridge, bursting with potential, hopefully :)

G

ganjygav

Seedsman blueberry does look good. I was growing 2 and I had 4 mobs in the tent from thseeds. The m.o.b hermied and spunked all over the blueberries. Up to that point though the blueberries were lining up to be great plants. Easy to grow and all very uniform.

G

ganjygav

Good to hear ganjygav :) Apparently they got the proper parental cuts from DJ ;)

I was super excited because one of them smelled like proper blueberries.
Ive paid for a lot of personal smoke of blueberry but never had one that smelt like it.
It was a shame. That was actually the last grow of seeds I did I believe.

Latest posts

Latest posts