Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Marijuana Strains and Breeding > Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

Thread Title Search
Click for Cannapot - buy cannabis seeds
Why do some people not like femenized seeds? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 AM #1
Burro Johnson

Burro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the roughBurro Johnson is a jewel in the rough
Why do some people not like femenized seeds?

I would like to know why some people don't like femenized seeds
Burro Johnson is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:48 AM #2
WaxyTaxi
Psychonaut

WaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivorWaxyTaxi is a survivor
subbed, I too want to know the science behind that thought

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 AM #3
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
They suffer from “fear of a dank planet”.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 AM #4
russjcan

russjcan will become famous soon enoughrussjcan will become famous soon enough
If you get regular seeds you can put a boy and a girl together and make your own seeds.
russjcan is offline Quote

6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:42 AM #5
Maple_Flail

Maple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the roughMaple_Flail is a jewel in the rough
the male plant.

not limited by science how far something can be inbred

just feels more natural *shrug* do i really need reasoning beyond it is what i prefer to pay for?
Maple_Flail is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 03:10 AM #6
DrDee

DrDee will become famous soon enoughDrDee will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by russjcan View Post
If you get regular seeds you can put a boy and a girl together and make your own seeds.
I agree with russican here

also...a female has to be hermed to create fem seeds. I put a lot of time and effort into a grow and don't want to risk it by using herm prone genetics.
JD
DrDee is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 03:28 AM #7
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
Personally I like fem seeds. I've only ever had one lot of fem seeds hermie ever and I've grown quite a lot. Funnily enough it was Barbara Bud from the Great Gardener. The rest of the fem seeds I've started from have produced clone after clone with no issues at all. Growing any seed is a gamble. You never know what the results will be. As we know phenos can vary widely even with seeds from the same plant.
insomniac_AU is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:33 AM #8
insomniac_AU

insomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud ofinsomniac_AU has much to be proud of
The reason I buy them is I am growing in a small set up at home. I don't have the time to waste to risk growing a male. I like to know I'm not wasting my time before I start. Just to add I have nothing against the Great Gardener. I think Matt does a great job and shit happens. One of my favourite keeper strains Jean Guy comes from him.
insomniac_AU is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 03:48 AM #9
CosmicCharlie

CosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of lightCosmicCharlie is a glorious beacon of light
No males, also risk of hermies
CosmicCharlie is offline Quote

Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 AM #10
Ibechillin

Ibechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of lightIbechillin is a glorious beacon of light
Nothing wrong with feminized seeds, they are made using STS (Silver Thiosulfate) or CS (colloidal silver) which involves spraying to temporarily make female plants produce male parts through hormonal change. It is not stressful to the plant in any way and the plant goes back to being all female when you stop using the silver spray, it only affects the branches that are sprayed as well not the whole plant, it does not cause the offspring to be hermaphrodite as it is a hormonal change. Regular male x female seeds are just as likely to be hermaphrodite as feminized seeds, its an inherited trait from the parent plants. Through multiple generations of selfing negative effects will surface because of the lack of genetic diversity, outcrossing should not be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Skunkman View Post
I have found many female individuals that I could not reverse by stress, as well as a few that could not be reversed with STS. Why I do not know for sure.
Quote:
Selfing to S4 will cause inbreeding loss of vigor and many buried negative genes will be expressed, try for S5 or S6 and you are lucky to get functional pollen Dehiscence, I find sticky pollen that is viable but does not drop, so it is functionally sterile. You can use it with a q-tip if careful. I try to not make above S3's. It is hard to use STS to make all female copies of a female clone specially if a Poly-Multi-Hybrid, a selfed female clone of that type will segregate and act as an F2 population. So very hard to find one just like the clone mother.
-SamS
Quote:
you can cross two female or cross two males by transforming one to the opposite sex, a transformed female clone to male will express pollen but it is still genetically a female, the same with males they can be transformed to female to make seeds.

Transforming males to a female will also allowing smoking of the male transformed to female expression or lab testing of the cannabinoids and terpenes they can contribute to progeny.

Regardless if the female is Haze or Skunk the f1 hybrids express the same general terpene and Cannabinoids, I have made hundreds and tested them.

There may be sex linked traits but this has not been proven in Cannabis.

Intersexed plants can be male or female. Males that are intersex can make seeds on themselves or on nearby plants.

One last point is plants do not just turn intersex because they have not been pollinated, they are born with the intersex traits, be they XY intersex or intersex traits that require stress of some sort to express the intersex. Both are inherited from intersex parents.

People confuse dominate and recessive genes with what a plant recieves from the parents, but do a prunett square with two palnts that have dominate and recessive genes for the same gene and you will see progeny have a crap shoot on what they receive. Depending on what the parents have Ww X Rr for example in the case of White and Red.

Plant genetics like Cannabis can be confusing as Cannabis is a dioecious obligate outcrosser and is a bit special. (90% of all flowering plants on earth have both sex, the remaining 10 percent have unisexual male and female flowers on the same plant (monoecious species) or male and female flowers on separate plants (dioecious species) they are the minority. Cannabis is one of the minority it is dioecious.
-SamS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates;
"I am not wise,i only understand the path that a lover of wisdom must take in pursuing it."
"people who see with their eyes are all but blind, truth is invisible."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Hubble;
"a scientist has a healthy skepticism, suspended judgement, and disciplined imagination."
Tons Of Information On Max Efficiency Growing, Root Systems and Breeding:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=344347

HOW TO GET 1.5+ GRAMS PER WATT!:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....330588&page=29

A Guide On When To Plant Outdoors & Force Flowering Without Covers For Multiple Harvests:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352312

Silicon, The Misunderstood Element:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352413

Current Grow:

Ibechillin's Dank Chronicle:
(Organic Outdoor)

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=352271

Last edited by Ibechillin; 05-23-2018 at 06:48 PM..
Ibechillin is offline Quote

12 members found this post helpful.