What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I suck at cloning. That's not a question but this is

MrBungle

I understand what you mean... I wish every one could find their sweet spot cloning....

My worst results were in rock wool... I lost an amazing pheno of White Widow due to cloning with rot wool in my early days....I also suspect it was my lack of cleanliness with my blades, and a bad method over all....Who knows...

I think agent has a few different methods going on now... although I haven't seen anyone mention air layering.... maybe that is a possibitliy???

I don't have any experience with it but it seems like a brilliant method, cause either it works and you get a clone or it remains a branch on your plant....

I don't remember who, but I think someone did a good write up on air layering on here

Bobby Boucher

I cannot speak highly enough about horticultural styrofoam. I feel like a broken record, but rotwool has cost me.. a ton of money and time. Like.. months of my life.. wasted.. Hundreds of dollars in seeds.. gone..

Another medium which IME is very unforgiving in unstable environments, if not the single most unforgiving.

I hate the shit. I know its user error, but I don't care. I wish rotwool had children so I could kick them in they f'n head.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Have you tried plonking them in soil? Probably have just an afterthought.

Just keep at it you'll get there eventually, Have you tried cloning other strains?

If your mother is getting big it's the perfect excuse to give another set of clones a crack.

WIshing you all the luck in the world my friend.
:huggg: Not yet just trying this 1 strain I wanted to hold onto. When this other plant gets big enough I will definitely try cloning it too. At the moment that's all that's going.

cone

:huggg: Not yet just trying this 1 strain I wanted to hold onto. When this other plant gets big enough I will definitely try cloning it too. At the moment that's all that's going.

AP

I think you will get cloning this strain down to a fine art eventually it might just be a case of a few tweaks here & there it's just a matter of patience & perseverance.

You might find it easy to get successfully rooted cuttings with the other strain some are harder than others.

I had a really shitty little cutting of this DB it's only just started growing a new set of leaves that's from just before I got a new lot of DB to now I'll get a picture of it.

My point is as I said before some strains are just bitches to get rooted I can't say I'm looking forward to taking cuttings myself it's all good fun :dance013:.

cone

Hey AP hope all is going well chap :tiphat:

This is the little bugger I mentioned in my last post, It was rooted a few weeks before I got the others dropped off, It's grown one set of leaves whilst it's sisters have gone through the full cycle hanging to dry as I type!
It's gonna be interesting when it comes to taking cuttings

I'll let you know how it goes.

picture.php

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Are you sure that isn't like some sort of super sativa that takes 10 years to mature? I literally didn't see it at first. I was like man that is a healthy look plant. (scrolls down)
wtf.gif

cone

Are you sure that isn't like some sort of super sativa that takes 10 years to mature?

View Image

Lmao it's definitely a Sativa that's for sure some clones might mature in 9.99 years or like the bigger one only 9 weeks 1 day lol.

You really need to be able to smell this strain it's out of this world!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
There is a plant in Peru and Bolivia that has an average of 40 years to reproduce. Then it immediately dies. Need some easy, at home way to make scratch n sniff cards that would have strain smells on them. Million dollar idea right there. Or at least 5$. Aight it's time for me to get my clone on. Gonna take anything nubbing and put it into jiffy pots with soil. Gonna bleach out the reservoir and go for round 2 with 2 extra airstones in there. I have faith I can do this. :woohoo:

cone

There is a plant in Peru and Bolivia that has an average of 40 years to reproduce. Then it immediately dies. Need some easy, at home way to make scratch n sniff cards that would have strain smells on them. Million dollar idea right there. Or at least 5$. Aight it's time for me to get my clone on. Gonna take anything nubbing and put it into jiffy pots with soil. Gonna bleach out the reservoir and go for round 2 with 2 extra airstones in there. I have faith I can do this. :woohoo:

If I'm on the same page is it the more expensive flower in the world? I think I'm on a different page, 40 years to reproduce that's a looonnnggg time then dies, A bit of anticlimax lol.

This is the flower/Cactus from Sri Lanka it's the same deal flowers at night then kicks the bucket yet it's priceless who in their right mind would pay God knows how much for something that doesn't even live for 24 hours crazy :crazy:

https://www.serenataflowers.com/pollennation/7-expensive-flowers-world/

Scratch n sniff cards that would be something else I'd say a multi-billion dollar business, All the strains one could smell doesn't bear thinking about :biggrin:

Go for it brother you can do it! Do you use gel or powder? In fact, did I send you a message earlier today?

make sure you don't pack the soil down to hard just enough to enclose the exposed part at the bottom, Just an afterthought.

Good luck my friend!

Dirt Bag

OP should build a cloner. It's really inexpensive, has no recurring costs (except electricity), it's completely automatic, and works better than any other method. Detailed instructions and a parts list available upon request. ��

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I already bought a DWC cloner. Just moved 11 out of it into soil yesterday. They all had nubbins but no roots. Gonna bleach it and take more cuttings today.

Dirt Bag

I already bought a DWC cloner. Just moved 11 out of it into soil yesterday. They all had nubbins but no roots. Gonna bleach it and take more cuttings today.

I rarely need to do anything more than rinse mine. If I have any complaint at all it would be that they tend to find one another and try to grow up each other. Sometimes I have 4 foot (yes 1m)roots in 2 or 3 weeks and have to untangle them, a delicate procedure. Often cuttings double or triple in size in my cloners. I find the key is plain 6.0pH water, sprays 1 minute on, 4 off. Water and air temperature 75°F. A weak light. I use a 2' Philips T12 plant light over a 2'x3' area, about 8" above the canopy, though I take all sorts of cutting sizes. I'll cram about anything in there and see what happens. 😁

CaStoner

I don't know if it's been mention before, but I mostly grow from seeds but when I tried cloning what worked for me was the floating cuts punch in a styrofoam in one of those 30 or more gallons tote filled half way with RO water with 2, 6 inch bubbling stones with tiny amounts of nutrients say 150 ppm, mostly cal-mag and a 15 watt fluorescent light on top, soon roots began growing..

Dirt Bag

I don't know if it's been mention before, but I mostly grow from seeds but when I tried cloning what worked for me was the floating cuts punch in a styrofoam in one of those 30 or more gallons tote filled half way with RO water with 2, 6 inch bubbling stones with tiny amounts of nutrients say 150 ppm, mostly cal-mag and a 15 watt fluorescent light on top, soon roots began growing..

Our tap water is 250ppm. We just cut that with RO 7 to 1. If you put cuttings in a glass of water on a windowsill without direct sunlight and change the water every other day or so they will root eventually.

therevverend

Veteran
Jesus that's terrible. Plants in dirt will be fine if you keep them watered but the poor clones!

Beware the temptation to raise the humidity with the rooted mothers when it gets hot. I say get the plants wet but don't get the air wet. Cannabis comes from hot places but most of them are very dry. Feed heavy, water heavy, but keep the humidity low.

Of course clones need a level of humidity, the hotter it gets the faster it dries out. I find the warmer it gets above 75 degrees the harder it gets to balance the wetness and humidity. Dampening off, stem rot, slow rooting, all helped along by high humidity but if they wilt it's over so it's necessary. And there's a lot of guys that have dialed in set ups at 85 degrees, root in 10 days, totally kick ass.

Everyone will swear by whatever cloning technique they use. I guarantee that every grower who's good at cloning has screwed up a bunch of times. Especially with techniques that aren't in their comfort zone. It's kind of funny.

I like rockwool, a tub with a little water, drop of hydrogen peroxide in the water, half open lid and misting several times a day 75 degree F. Always wash out the your clone tub every couple days. Guaranteed every time. Mess with those factors and I'll start screwing up.

A good back to the basics test is to use perlite. Used to use it all the time in the old days. The only flaw is that it can be hard to see the roots, tell if it's done. It's probably the best way. If you're fucking up over and over with all the new mediums they've got try perlite. Keeps the perfect moisture level.

I've rooted clones from outdoor plants, outdoors in the shade. Fill a cup with perlite, add a some water, cut a nice healthy limb and stick it in the cup under a tree. Putting a plastic bag with a hole in it over it makes it easy. I swear I've seen clones root faster this way then any other. Under two weeks in July.

moonymonkey

heres anther good thread on the cloning by far the best rooting,gel,dip powder i ever used by krunchbubbie great addition.need to gets better with this machine.:tiphat::dance013::tiphat:

cone

It's 94F here and it says it feels like 105. I have no idea how I'm alive, let alone my plants.

AP,

94C that's insane I imagine it to be like walking into an Oven.

Like one of the other members said the soil plants will be fine but I have no firsthand knowledge of cloning in a DWC.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Oh man it's 94F not C, 94C is just under the boiling temperature of water. I would literally explode in a puff of fat steam :D

Latest posts

Latest posts