Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growroom Designs & Equipment > Which grow lights for Lowest heat!?

Thread Title Search
Which grow lights for Lowest heat!? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM #11
Drop That Sound

Drop That Sound has disabled reputation
But when your buying that many t-5 fixtures, that come with bulbs already (unless you can find ones that don't for cheaper or youll be stuck with all those tubes), it would cost a fortune to replace all the bulbs with LED tubes.

I am going to replace the t5s with those LED tubes in my 8 lamp though , but only as they go bad, and because its too wide a fixture to fit the much cheaper screw-in bulbs on the side, in my small veg room anyway.

For sure though, T-5s + LED (and maybe a few 315 CMH's on the side) for the win!
Drop That Sound is offline Quote

Old 04-08-2018, 06:27 PM #12
Itsmychoice

Itsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the rough
315s

I know it might be late but the single vertical bulb 315 fixtures with the ballasts remotely mounted out of the room are unbeatable. I do 6 over a 8x14 for veg. Hang them about 4' over the canopy and you will grow bushes. In flower it's 2.5x2.5' about 2' over the tops. I think veg is probably closer to 5x5. The 3100 bulbs seem to make them a little less stretchy. I mix the 3100 and the 4200k in veg for that reason. 3100 on the ones just out of the cloner and the ones in the biggest containers. 4200 for the middle. It works for my set and supplies for 12k flower. The cloner prefers a single bulb t5. T5 is hard to beat for plants less than 1' tall but after that they just don't have the penetration.
Itsmychoice is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 01:31 PM #13
zachrockbadenof

zachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of lightzachrockbadenof is a glorious beacon of light
last grow in a 4x3.5ft tent we used '2' 315 cmh's bought off ebay- 4plants grown.. thought the buds were airy, think the light was insuff. this time adding side led lighting-
zachrockbadenof is online now Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 05:10 PM #14
Itsmychoice

Itsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the roughItsmychoice is a jewel in the rough
In flower

Running plants off the same mother and on the same resivoir the plants under the cmh look better and are denser than the ones under double ended hps. That's in different rooms with several runs. Hanging a bare 315 bulb in the aisle and the plants closest to the bulb are always the winners. There are pics here. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=350368

The downside is mounting 3 times the fixtures. If I were to outfit a big room again it would have 4 315s every 6x6.
Itsmychoice is offline Quote

Old 04-09-2018, 05:48 PM #15
Easy7

Easy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud ofEasy7 has much to be proud of
A watt puts out 3.41 BTU no-matter the system. So it comes down to spectrum. CMH and LED put out 'better' or more specific spectrum, thus the theory is they require less watts for desired performance.

I doubt there is a lot of difference between ceramic metal halide and metal halide. Ceramic insulators simply last longer. The spectrum's are a bit different, not a lot.

The only way to create less heat, is to use less watts. That goes for everything in the room. Not just lights but also all the other equipment. Add all the watts for everything and multiply it all by 3.41 and you have the BTU being produced. Venting outside is a huge plus.
What attachment society has in our estimation of our view of our sense of self, is certainly powerful. To reject societies view is a search for higher meaning in all the chaos and apparent order to our experience. The conclusion will be long after we are gone. It appears much else other than search is but chaos. To say it's found implies attachment. Freedom is not attachment, ye all things are bound. Nothing is without consequence so meditate on reactions obtaining higher understanding of the formations. Less reaction, less consequence. Somewhere there is law, there is karma. To be less of an actor and more of a witness. Just watching the structures do their business.
Easy7 is offline Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 PM #16
Oceanicnomad

Oceanicnomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmychoice View Post
I know it might be late but the single vertical bulb 315 fixtures with the ballasts remotely mounted out of the room are unbeatable. I do 6 over a 8x14 for veg. Hang them about 4' over the canopy and you will grow bushes. In flower it's 2.5x2.5' about 2' over the tops. I think veg is probably closer to 5x5. The 3100 bulbs seem to make them a little less stretchy. I mix the 3100 and the 4200k in veg for that reason. 3100 on the ones just out of the cloner and the ones in the biggest containers. 4200 for the middle. It works for my set and supplies for 12k flower. The cloner prefers a single bulb t5. T5 is hard to beat for plants less than 1' tall but after that they just don't have the penetration.
So 4ft over the plants and the light is still intense enough for tight nodes? I've been trying to get them as close as possible without burning but its a pretty small footprint. And I'm still not sold that the nodes are any tighter unless directly underneath.

I bought 2 of the 315cmh with vertical bulb hoods. It allowed me to turn the other two 1k MH up to 100% and holds my temperature at a perfect 75 (down from 81)

The MH are still too hot at the canopy without ac to get close enough to prevent stretching though, so looking at upgrading all 4 reflectors with the conversion kits and running six 315s in the 10x10 room. Bit of an awkward pattern.. and with 1,800 watts I'll probably be a little low on heat come winter if 2,600 watts holds it perfectly right now.

I guess im still a bit confused as some people say 315s are the ultimate veg light. Others are saying a watt is a watt.. If the spectrum is twice as good, so a 315w cmh=600w MH would it be safe to assume my 1,800 watts of cmh will give me enough light to almost match 4,000w of MH?

I'm thinking about getting one or two t5s for the side and I could just rotate plants underneath each time I water to help stack some nodes at the top. I'd love to run all t5s but it sounds like they won't penetrate enough for a 3-4ft plant and it just seems like a ton of lights to deal with.
Oceanicnomad is offline Quote

Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 PM #17
Oceanicnomad

Oceanicnomad is on a distinguished road
I really need this go to work well. I'm tired of growing stems..
Oceanicnomad is offline Quote