What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What do you think about "Aficionado French Connection" - between 20 -30 $ by seed !?

Nico Farmer

What do you think about "Aficionado French Connection" - between 20 -30 $ by seed !?

Hy guys;

as the tittle says, what do you think about this bank.

This company based in Mendocino, Ca.
Their origins date back 2 years in the Emerald Triangle, where Leo Stone and Professor Q developed their genetics (16 awards at the Emerald Cup).

I have my opinion, and WTF,
their prices are amazing, 12 regular seeds packs prices: 185, 260 or 360€ according to the different strains.

Hype, :biggrin:?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Well it's all about how much they are worth to someone. These guys hold some really old school unique stuff and people want it and are willing to pay.

Me personally I don't see anything worth that kind of money. If they had a stabilized chocolate Thai from back in the day or real old skunk then yes.

Just another company trying to retire off every pack.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:dance:
Well it's all about how much they are worth to someone. These guys hold some really old school unique stuff and people want it and are willing to pay.

Me personally I don't see anything worth that kind of money. If they had a stabilized chocolate Thai from back in the day or real old skunk then yes.

Just another company trying to retire off every pack.

Whatever the market will will bear.

If you price high to capture the profit from those who will pay the most, you will be missing out on profitable business at the lower end.

Hype, ?:)Yep.

therevverend

Veteran
Even if I was desperate for one of their strains I would not pay it because I don't support that kind of thing. Paying more then $5 a seed is a stretch. I only do it if it's a reputable, honest breeder I trust. Meaning no hermaphrodites in their feminized seeds, testing of their lines before selling them, excellent customer service. It makes the seeds more valuable because I know the breeder put a lot of time, money, and planning into making all that stuff come together. A trustworthy breeder deserves a reward for what they do.

More then $10 a seed? I don't know I start to struggle at $5. I have friends in Northern California who are loving sharing people who will give or trade seeds as good as anything out there. Less of that type of mindset these days but there's still a lot of people like that. Believe cannabis is a plant that should be shared. If you're one of those people, and they're all over the world, thank you and I wouldn't have become a grower, learned and grown as a person, without everyone's generosity.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Leos rep amongst the real growers out here is pretty bad. He basically used stuff without permission, and made tons of money off it..amongst other things.

Not my cup of tea

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Theres a HUGE ego attached to pricing like that!

And the number of herm incidences is on the rise with this company from what I've seen.

If sharing and trading weren't against the TOU here at IC, I'd be wiling to bet that a few companies like Aficionado wouldn't last very long. Private works seem to be as good or better than what is offered comercially.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
if somebody is willing to pay it, I have no problem with it. the more I wonder about marmalade, candy, cake taste being so popular. I found it funny: sorbet á l´orange and fruit flambé :D very funny.

G

GatorGumbo

I think they've given about as much thought to pricing as French cuisine gives to nutritional value.

Homie doesn't have a great reputation, maybe his prices are just a way of making sure he doesn't run into anyone that knows a darn.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who the hell is professor Q? i don't follow what's going on in this seedy biz as it's of no interest to me...but i never heard of that guy on the french scene? What the french connection is so to say? Any clue?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Hy guys;

Their origins date back 2 years in the Emerald Triangle, where Leo Stone and Professor Q developed their genetics (16 awards at the Emerald Cup).

their prices are amazing, 12 regular seeds packs prices: 185, 260 or 360€ according to the different strains.

That's the new trend man. Hype your company up to the max. Then say seeds are in limited stock/no longer made. Then comes the $300-$800 price tag on a pack of seeds. Although Aficionado does make some killer gear, I could never pay $300 a pack. $800 a pack is just pure insanity. Also seeing the trend of hyped up seeds, getting even more clout from that companies other "breeder" friends.

So my solution to that?....make my own seeds. Trade with other guys. Sure it's cool to say I found this killer in a $500 pack of seeds. But nothing beats "see this baby here, I made the seeds myself.

G

Marijuana is now part of mainstream USA (almost). Might as well market it like we do everything else.

JimmyToucan

Hy guys;

The guy can't even come up with an original logo or packaging. Stole that from a high end watchmaker. Their most popular gear was based on genetics swiped from Emerald Mountain Legacy and Mean Gene (Freeborn Selections).

The aforementioned breeders will run upwards of 250 a pack. If you're looking for worked lines and not yet another F1 mashup of shit everyone and their dog is running they're well worth it.

Miasa Mura

Hy guys;

Hey Nico Farmer!
I’ve seen tons of Aficionado and free born selections to compare the two and if your interested in genetics from the area I would recommend Free born selections. I would avoid the aficionados. 3rd Gen/ dying breed also would have some of those Emerald Triangle genetics, much more affordable (they’re Adonai parent is amazing!).

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Leos rep amongst the real growers out here is pretty bad. He basically used stuff without permission, and made tons of money off it..amongst other things.

Not my cup of tea

Thats it exactly.
They were given cuts and seeds for free, then they charge the people who gave them those genetics full price for their progeny.
WTF.

I gave Frenchi some of my best genetics at Emerald Cup 2017.
I havent even gotten a reply to my emails I sent him, none the less any genetics from what I shared with him.

Also, that 78 OG LA Affy is really from genetics from the 201x’s and is not real OG, he just named it that to make more money.

My rule of thumb, if anyone charges more for seeds than Boghi, its a no-go.

Why is it always the new kids to the block who feel entitled to the most?
The guys in the game since the 90’s who I know are the most careing, giving people I know.

Packaging is another red flag.
The best genetics I get come in ziplock or dime bags. I’ve never gotten legit landraces in fancy packaging - just dime-baggies.
Genetics speak for themselves.

Nico Farmer

Their most popular gear was based on genetics swiped from Emerald Mountain Legacy and Mean Gene (Freeborn Selections).

I gave Frenchi some of my best genetics at Emerald Cup 2017.

Nice info here...

My rule of thumb, if anyone charges more for seeds than Boghi, its a no-go.

Packaging is another red flag.

Exactly what I though when I saw their prices and packaging (in a french "documentary" on TV 2 months ago).

therevverend

Veteran
I decided to look at their website, curious to see what they've got. They have a strain called Forbidden Fruit. (Grape Ape x Grapefruit x Unknown) x (Royal Kush x Highland Afghan)

5 or 6 years ago over a couple of years, an old family friend shared with me, asking nothing in return. Big bags full of hundreds of seeds of:

(Select Grape Ape) x (carefully selected unknown Mendo Male-I've gotten a couple different stories) and (Grapefruit Kush) x (Carefully selected Unknown Mendo Male) and (Royal Kush x (Unknown carefully selected Male Mendo hybrid) and (Above Grape Ape Hybrid) x (Pure Purple Afghan)

I'm not going to use the word 'sifted' because it's not my word, it's aficionado's, but he'd selected those plants and seeds out of a much greater selection of lesser plants and strains. And some that were just as good, probably not a lot better because it's good stuff. He'd either been gifted the seeds or plants or picked them up for $15 at the Farmer's Market in Fort Bragg or whatever. Certainly didn't pay more then $20 a clone or anything for seeds.

Aficionado describes Forbidden Fruit as:

Loud and robust frame of jet-fuel and Chanel No.5 balanced by a vivid screen of dripping gasoline, citrus perfume and paint thinner. Expect an oily finish that lingers with hints of lemon peel, lime zest, and hairspray

Which cracks me up. It describes the Royal Kush hybrid to a T. Very citrus. The seeds I have also have skunky cat pissy phenos. Just pollen chucking these strains together yields interesting types.

Not that big a deal but it cracked me up because of my earlier comment. The old time growers in Mendo are trading and sharing all the stuff these guys are selling, either for free or for trade or gas money or whatever. They've done the real work, 'sifting' through thousands and thousands of plants to select out these nice phenos. And chumps are selling and buying this stuff for that much money just to get a piece of something real.

By the way what is 'Highland Afghani'? There's Highlands in Afghanistan sure. 24,000 feet up in the Hindu Kush, I don't think there's many grows up there.

G

GatorGumbo

Reminds me of those overpriced six packs of locally brewed beers. The $17 ones that are just kinda different but not really special. Thankfully, it's 2019, you can't throw a rock without hitting ten super dank stable strains under $100.

Prices that high are a gimmick, value perceived but not achieved. I've paid over $100 for strains before, sure, but the breeders backed everything 110%. Dude has a bad reputation for forgetting friends, I don't want to find out what happens to customers he doesn't even know. Business ethics in the cannabis industry really needs some trimming up and I won't support shady people at all.

Latest posts

Latest posts