What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plants looking terrible... Need so help

Grateful D

So these are pictures of my plants, they have been in the room about 10 days. I think it is a broad mite issue. Twisted deformed leaves, some of the waxy looking leaves... I thought I had them last grow, but i treated non stop with everything under the sun to pull out a crop. Dont have the energy to do it again. All hydro in 6x6 rockwool, using GH 3 part nutrients a little over half strength, PH fluctuates between 5.7-6.1 would love any opinions on what may be causing this, because these are defiantly not viable plants. Thanks. Sorry about the shitty pics

HqFarms

Since they are small trash them and clean and clean and clean again. You have to clean everything plus everywhere you keep finished product. I can't stress this enough but russets and broad mites can live with no food for more than six months. So anywhere you have had contact with infected flowers, plants, your hands, your clothes will be infected with those tiny fuckers. Pool shock works as a great cleaner.

If you must keep them, do a hot water dunk. They look small enough. Dunk for twenty minutes with 110-120 degree water. Dunk the cube and all. Sulfer greatly slows them down and kills some too.

You are on a steep up hill battle, which can be won though but you are better off resetting everything and starting fresh after multiple cleanings

Grateful D

yea I was thinking about getting the equipment out of there and calling in professional exterminators to steam clean and heat treat the house like they do for bed bugs. These things just dont die. No idea where I got them, I am on the east coast and they arent a thing out here like out west

Grateful D

Last grow I did sulfur burns and sprayed wetbale sulfur, and it helped, but like you said only slowed them down, didnt kill them

Grateful D

Last grow I hit them with wettable sufur, Burned Sulfur, Avid, Forbid, Nuke em, Biowar tea. It was non stop, and I managed to pull a crop, but it was so much work I was spraying down 64 plants every other day with an airless paint sprayer. I dont have it in me to do all that again

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Have you seen the bugs? Get a 100x loupe and find the bugs to positive id.

Or

I would toss those plants and have the exterminator or you clean the room extensively. This is your best bet. If you do manage to treat the problem those plants will need a month to recover.

Cut loses now and get sterile. Least amount of time lost and a solution.

Be careful taking in clones in the future and you should be good to go.

Sucks but you will get back rolling in no time.

Vibes.

Grateful D

Yea Im gonna kill the plants. I smartened up and started keeping my moms at a different location bc this has been a persistent problem. Its not even from the clones, they are living in the house. The clones came from me at my other location, and the moms are healthy. In the last 6 months I have thrown out the room and cleaned a few times with no luck. Last grow I finally had to push one through, and I did but like I said it was 100 times more work, it took all the fun out of it and my quality suffered, the only thing I could concentrate on was keeping the mites at bay, and nothing else. I think this time I have to go more extreme, propane heaters and steam the whole house with either myself or by a professional. If that dosent work I think I will have to shut down for 6 or 8 months and cut my losses. and hope they die off. It would suck and be a huge waste of money, but Im running out of options. Thanks for the advice everyone, I really do appreciate everyone adding to the thread!

HqFarms

yea I was thinking about getting the equipment out of there and calling in professional exterminators to steam clean and heat treat the house like they do for bed bugs. These things just dont die. No idea where I got them, I am on the east coast and they arent a thing out here like out west

They are a thing everywhere. Russets and broads are used to control roadside grass/ weeds along highways and such. People think our government release them to ruin cannabis crops but they are just to control roadside vegetation

herbgreen

Veteran
If it was me Id switch to organics and introduce predator mites early or ladybettle varve maybe google it find out what eats thoughs once you ID them. Organics forgives so much more and protects the medicine. Might make it easier in general.

Grateful D

So here is the new plan, would like everyone's opinion on it. I have decided to keep the plants in there for now. I have destroyed my plants, emptied my room and cleaned 3 times in the last year to no avail. So I decided on a new strategy this time. I turned down the lights from 1000w to 400w and taken out co2 to slow growth. I decided I want to try and keep the plants small, and fight the bugs with less leaf and surface are for them to hide. Everytime I clear the room, they just keep coming back. Hopefully keeping them in there, they will be all on the plants and not elsewhere in the room. At least have a spot to fight them. I am burning sulfur every night during lights out, and i am going to start hitting them with rotating avid and forbid. Once I am convinced they are gone if I can kill them I will clear the room, heat it for 12 hours at 180 degrees with propane heaters, steam clean it, and then heat it again. Then I will put fresh cuts in the room. I have high hopes for the daily sulfur burn, that it will be an effective treatment. If this doesnt work I am going to shut the spot down for 8 or so months and hope they die off

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
The first step is removing as many as you can manually. I would lose those plants and go with the other plan.

Just my 2¢

HqFarms

You can do that, there is just one issue. If you don't kill all of them and there are a few on finished product, you can potentially spread them around again. If you burn before you handle your plants or any equipment, your infected flowers contaminated your hands which then spreads them onto your plants and what not.

Grateful D

I think I have finally had success with killing them, at least my plants all look healthy again. I have to get a USB microscope which I am ordering today to know for sure. I have been burning sulfur every night during lights out for the last 3 weeks and counting, and it seems to be working great. All new growth is healthy and happy. I figured thats the best way to treat the whole room and the plants, with something the mites cant get immune too.

Latest posts

Latest posts