What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why is my PPM still high after refilling reservoir with RO water?

ChenBenTz

I've noticed that even after refilling my reservoir with RO water (with PPM of <20) and giving it enough time to mix, my overall PPM is still pretty much just as high as it should be after adding nutrients.

If I dilute the water, it should go down, right? What's causing this?

HqFarms

How often do you clean your rez? When you add ro water you could be disturbing the sentiment on the bottom of your rez. How much water was already in the rez and how much did you add?

ChenBenTz

My plants haven't been growing well. I assumed it was a nutrient problem but maybe it's the reverse - they're not uptaking the nutrients. Is that possible? They're not small, btw.

mushroombrew

Veteran
I've noticed that even after refilling my reservoir with RO water (with PPM of <20) and giving it enough time to mix, my overall PPM is still pretty much just as high as it should be after adding nutrients.

If I dilute the water, it should go down, right? What's causing this?

Yes it seems your plants are not feeding. Something is wrong. Calibrate your pH meter. And test pH.

RockinRobot

My plants haven't been growing well. I assumed it was a nutrient problem but maybe it's the reverse - they're not uptaking the nutrients. Is that possible? They're not small, btw.

That's quite possible. Ph out of whack, and pests can both cause plants to not be able to uptake nutrients.

Also how far into flower are you. I notice mine always slow down feeding after the stretch is over.

I use an always in the res tri-meter for ppm and Ph. I watch the ppms daily to see if they are going up or down with water level.

My advice to you would be to change out nutes with fresh and recalibrate meters and recheck Ph. If Ph is all good then check for root issues. Root rot, bugs etc...

DeMonet

In addition to the above excellent suggestions, I'd add that you might want to give them a flush before mixing your new nutes. If there's anything *not good* happening with your nutrient solution, you'll want to clear that out before adding fresh nutes, as the old *bad* stuff that's left in your system will simply mix with your new stuff, thus *bad*ifying it.

(If it is an issue with your nutes/reservoir in the first place.)

B RABB

yea def flush and also try ph drops just to have something you can compare too. and try to rule out all the little bs it could be but i bet a good flush and you will be back to norml man

gbauto

I also think that you're getting the ppm's from the plant roots-probably crusted with chemicals. I'd suggest doing a few flushes to see if the ppm's drop.

ganjafahma

it cant hurt to do a 2-3 hr flush if your getting back hi ppm after str8 RO mix, must have alot of sulfer buildupp or excessive nutrient buildup in the roots this will cause a bump in ppm the roots residual nutrients and sulphurs. flush imo. and calibrate your PH meter very important. good luck