What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

opening a dispensary

J

justsmoke

What do you need to do in order to start up a dispensary? About how much does it cost? Are medical delivery services legal still?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
If you have to ask these kinds of questions you are so far from making it a reality. I am just saying you have a lot of work to do.

I know that where I am at I don't know how any of them make any money... there are just so many of them. And it looks like any commercially zoned kind of building will work. A lot of them are really dumpy looking and security is lacking. Some of them have that thick glass, many don't, some have glass cases, many of them don't, it is like the legal standards in Seattle are really lacking, and that is a good thing.

Probably the biggest problem you will face is keeping a variety of the best buds on the shelf that you can sell fast enough before it gets all dried out.

Based on what you are asking I would think you are a long way from ever making it happen... Delivery Service? Growers bring weed to the dispensary to try to sell and you have to have your shit together or you will buy the wrong stuff and suffer.

Good Luck

vostok

Veteran
Shirley ..theres a book written about this now?

41xILZpnifL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

California Medical Marijuana Dispensary and Grower's Guidebook:
A comprehensive guide for creating a medical marijuana dispensary, growing medical ... a patient in the current legal environment

This is a comprehensive guide for creating a medical marijuana dispensary or delivery service, growing medical marijuana, and complying with California Law. This guidebook provides current detailed directions on how to open and operate a California medical marijuana dispensary and collective delivery services. It also provides information on how to legally grow medical marijuana and conform as a medical marijuana patient. This guide was written by seasoned California medical marijuana experts and there is no substitute of this quality available. You will learn: - What California business entities are required under SB 420 - How to incorporate as a not-for-profit - How to remain compliant with the various CA business requirements - How to determine what is reasonable compensation for employees and directors - How to properly calculate grower's reimbursements $33.26

http://www.amazon.com/California-Medical-Marijuana-Dispensary-Guidebook/dp/147504366X

J

justsmoke

I live in a medical state. I'm not exactly trying to start a dispensary, there are just wayyy to many here. I just want to know about how much these guys are paying in licensing fees and all that. Just trying to get an idea what it takes. I'm thinking I can start one for around 10k. Meds aren't that hard to come by here, its just buying them from other caregivers/patients that I'm not sure is legal.

You could start for that in Washington right now. Get a stall at a farmer's market. Probably not enough of a safety buffer to realistically cover rent and living expenses if it takes you very long to build a customer base. Licensing fees on the retail end for medical in washington are very low.

indocult

about 10k/month in just rent, not including overhead... depending on location.

If you can keep the most fire quality nuggets and a large variety of flavors, please open a dispo because we need more of those. Too many selling crappy mids and calling it something else

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
What do you need to do in order to start up a dispensary? About how much does it cost? Are medical delivery services legal still?

In cook county close to a million.it was 1000.00 app fee to say yes or no non refundable.than 250.000.00 for the licsense than other fees and taxs.Good luck opening it in cook county 19 people applied only ten were accepted.i dont like those odds.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That's a 100k gamble I wouldn't be betting on, EFF that. Non refundable 100k is just fucking stupid IMO.

This is all very interesting however, to folks that live where an eighth is bad news. :/

EastCoast710

over were I live it costs about 1 million.. to realistically setup a beautiful dispensary.. not a lil piece of shit one.. not to mention here we cannot buy buds from anyone so dispensaries grow their own.. so u need lots of money for equipment and warehouse for your grow to. so ATLEAST a million . believe me if I could find a investor. I would have already been up and running!!!

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
That's a 100k gamble I wouldn't be betting on, EFF that. Non refundable 100k is just fucking stupid IMO.

This is all very interesting however, to folks that live where an eighth is bad news. :/

Agreed.after reading the suntimes article i was dumb founded.i couldnt beleave the fee for a background check.the thing that gets me is cook i mean crook county said they were only going to approve 10 apps.and like 19 applied.thats a million the the county made just to say No....lol sorry if my grammer isnt in order its too early

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
over were I live it costs about 1 million.. to realistically setup a beautiful dispensary.. not a lil piece of shit one.. not to mention here we cannot buy buds from anyone so dispensaries grow their own.. so u need lots of money for equipment and warehouse for your grow to. so ATLEAST a million . believe me if I could find a investor. I would have already been up and running!!!
Lol a couple of large scale grows and a partner, the money should be easy to get it started.i wonder in time lets say 4 years from now if the price will drop.as to this day i dont think 1 has been built yet in cook county.

coldcanna

Veteran
For what its worth, 1M is about what you'd expect to invest to start a quality bar, restaurant, ect.... If I read the post correctly you said 1,000 to apply and 250,000 for a license? Liquor licenses can cost several hundred thousand depending on where you are and what your trying to sell. Don't get me wrong I also think that is outrageous, but it is the double edged sword that is legalization. - Dealing with the government sometimes seems like a worse alternative to an all day shower in prison