What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Kush x Pre 98 Bubba (reversed)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi BT, looking good. Sorry about the male! thats the second one reported so there is defo something going on with these supposedly fem seeds.

One possibility is that it is a strongly intersex female (so called ladyboy) like has been found in the peyote purple line (which is katsu bubba S2 afaik) the great structure and compact shape may support this idea.... one way to find out for sure is, if you grow out seeds made from him, they should all come out female - although again i guess you could get more ladyboys in there too.

the other possibility is that there was some pollen from somewhere else found its way into the cab... i am extremely careful about this and would doubt that it was possible the way i stagger my pollinations and isolate males females etc, but hey you got a male so i have to accept this possibility. the only possible pollen to come from my exploits would have been some fat bubba (bubba x sour bubble) pollen, although again i would say that this is unlikely. certainly there is little difference in traits that i can see between the girl and the boy.
thanks for being so reasonable about it. i'll give it more thought
cheers
VG

Edit: i guess a third possibility is that some pollen came from elsewhere.. but where i live this is very unlikely i think.

Last edited:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi BT, looking good. Sorry about the male! thats the second one reported so there is defo something going on with these supposedly fem seeds.

One possibility is that it is a strongly intersex female (so called ladyboy) like has been found in the peyote purple line (which is katsu bubba S2 afaik) the great structure and compact shape may support this idea.... one way to find out for sure is, if you grow out seeds made from him, they should all come out female - although again i guess you could get more ladyboys in there too.

the other possibility is that there was some pollen from somewhere else found its way into the cab... i am extremely careful about this and would doubt that it was possible the way i stagger my pollinations and isolate males females etc, but hey you got a male so i have to accept this possibility. the only possible pollen to come from my exploits would have been some fat bubba (bubba x sour bubble) pollen, although again i would say that this is unlikely. certainly there is little difference in traits that i can see between the girl and the boy.
thanks for being so reasonable about it. i'll give it more thought
cheers
VG

Hey VG good to see your back, been away for a little bit I noticed. :tiphat:

Ya, I forget who else found one but I remember seeing someone post about a male LVPK x Pre98 Bubba they found in their pack. Im not mad about it at all, luck of the draw, I like to make some F2s and pollen chucks for personal seed stock so no problem there. I plan to take the male and female I got from the 5 pack and cross them and eventually see what the male brings to the table, I have a clone of the male too in the veg cab in case he is special.

I forget where I was reading recently about another feminized bubba cross having occasional rare male show up, cant remember where but maybe its a Bubba thing? Maybe not too I dont know. The male and female are very uniform only the male was taller and more vigorous but the structure and leaf shape, etc all the same so I think its just a rarity moreso than a couple grains of pollen sneaking in.

I have an OX male too this run and on a stem rub has little odor where the PB4 male has a nice sweet skunky smell. The males are outdoor right now and doing great probably will start dropping pollen in about a week or so, two at the most I would think.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool stuff BT, yeah they do look very alike for sure. personally i think any intersex traits must come from the PK because the pre-98 Bubba S1s have been rock solid in that department. i always thought that the PK was related to the bubba so perhaps it is related to the katsu cut which as i mentioned earlier has similar issues that surfaced in the peyote purple line from CBG.

VG

greenpinky

Ya im going to pop my seeds I made with my male... but its supposed to be a great female to male ratio if u find a male in feminized...

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool stuff BT, yeah they do look very alike for sure. personally i think any intersex traits must come from the PK because the pre-98 Bubba S1s have been rock solid in that department. i always thought that the PK was related to the bubba so perhaps it is related to the katsu cut which as i mentioned earlier has similar issues that surfaced in the peyote purple line from CBG.

VG

Yeah you are right, I think it was PP that I was thinking of for males being found in the feminized stock. I had a thought too about no males being reported in your Bubba S1s and now as far as I know reported only 2 males from the PKxBubbas. I wonder if there were more that people found but didnt do grow threads/reports or if these are actually pretty rare occurrences.

Ya im going to pop my seeds I made with my male... but its supposed to be a great female to male ratio if u find a male in feminized...

Nice! Let us know what you find. Or post pics. :ying:

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So far a couple of my lvpk x bk have been male also. Just figured i would let folks know. So i put the ax to them.

Interesting so these are seeming less and less rare.

My PKBK male smells much better on a stem rub than my OX male does so Im keeping him around still for some pollen chucking this round. Im only going to seed a couple little buds on each female for personal seed stock stash.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
highroller, thanks for chiming in. how many seeds did you pop to get 2 males ?

the plot thickens....

highroller614

@ Bueno Time yes my first male reeked ta say the least. Honestly i was excited when i took a clone because of the funky aroma. But as they were sitting in my cups getting root bound it decided to preflower and thats when the nuts showed up.

@ Verdant Green I popped all 10 beans i purchased but out of 10 only 4 popped out of the dirt. I soak them in water in a shot glass and when they sink i moved them to wet paper towels covered on a plate with a bowel as a dome on seedling mat They cracked but only 4 came out of the dirt. I normally have awesome success like this. Is there something i should be doing differently?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi again highroller. you shouldnt need to do anything special with these seeds, but because this is a cross of two related ibl's, the seeds and plants will not show as much vigor as your usual sativa x indica cross. This means that they will not tolerate less than ideal conditions so well, and the germination seeds will not have quite as much energy perhaps. Basically less margin for error. also, in a situation where the seedlings are struggling to break the soil, i guess the 'males' may be a bit more vigorous and more likely to show.
that said, the test grows have shown germ rates of 5 out of 5, 4 out of 4 and 5 out of 6 respectively, so it is quite possible to get great germ rates from these seedlings.
personally i just soak for a few hours and plant when i sow seeds.. i dont really believe in transplanting after they have sprouted as i think that tis is when they re their most fragile and vulnerable.. but many get good success that way so its what works for you i guess.
in this case i will get you a free pack to cover some of the males and ones that didnt come up. I'll send you a PM about that.

and i think i will do the same as CBG have done with their Peyote Purple and start to list these as 10 packs of regular seeds when i send in the next batch.

VG

highroller614

@ greenpinky there very pretty with a very dark green color and still in veg currently. if you dont mind i would rather show off something when its at the finish line.

@ VG Man i really appreciate the way you conduct business. I really just wanted to help inform the community of my experiences with this strain. I wasn't commenting hoping for a reimbursement. At the same time I have a few of your lines going currently and i like what I see and smell. Thanks again my friend

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 19 12/12 Update

Plants have gotten even more yellowed and honestly look like shit but I will still continue post pics. Not scared to show my fuckups though I prefer to show my successes. Past two runs I have been experimenting with reused soil and different samples of nutes and managed to mess the plants up a bit both times. Im going back to the basics next round and doing what has worked well in the past, hate to try new things and keep messing things up.

Anyway heres some pics of the PK Bubba female she is on the left.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Males are starting to drop pollen outdoor so I should be collecting some and pollinating within the week I think.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
highroller - no problem, just reacting to how things are panning out with this cross. Full on testing before release is tough at this level and with my small space - which is why i sell the beans nice and cheep and really value feedback from the buyers.

BT, plants look good. ive had plants yellow on me in the same way lots of times and it doesnt seem to do the final yield and product too much harm. Often it can be mostly down to rootbinding and you probably vegged them a bit longer in those pots than normal?
some gentle liquid feeding should help or maybe a handful of EWC as a topdressing. i struggled with recycled soil too, getting the consistent good results i was getting with fresh soil each time, and the smaller the pots the harder it is i would say..

i think its well worth making some F2s though, as you should get a wider range of phenos and of course more seeds to sort through.

VG

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
highroller - no problem, just reacting to how things are panning out with this cross. Full on testing before release is tough at this level and with my small space - which is why i sell the beans nice and cheep and really value feedback from the buyers.

BT, plants look good. ive had plants yellow on me in the same way lots of times and it doesnt seem to do the final yield and product too much harm. Often it can be mostly down to rootbinding and you probably vegged them a bit longer in those pots than normal?
some gentle liquid feeding should help or maybe a handful of EWC as a topdressing. i struggled with recycled soil too, getting the consistent good results i was getting with fresh soil each time, and the smaller the pots the harder it is i would say..

i think its well worth making some F2s though, as you should get a wider range of phenos and of course more seeds to sort through.

VG

Hey thanks VG, I know they could be worse but I know I could also do much better. Oh well you learn more from your mistakes usually anyway. I should have bought some N based amendment(s) to add to the recycled mix but I just used what I had and that was a mistake apparently. I dont know why for sure but the plants seem MUCH hungrier under the LEDs than the HPS. I top dressed them with a tablespoon (15mL) of a dry amendment mix a couple days ago and noticed a boost of growth from watering that in and yesterday I bought two bags of Ocean Forest for next run, so I top dressed each plant with a good inch or so of fresh soil. I have some good EWC coming tomorrow so I will probably top dress a little EWC on each as well. I watered them with some Humboldt Equilibrium, my buddy gave me a while back, last night too 1mL per qt it contains small amounts of NPK, Ca, Mg, and Iron. Its basically a calmag product but has a little extras in it, supposed to be all in the proper ratios.

What damage is done will not reverse but Im still trying to keep it from getting worse fast. No matter what like you said I should get some smoke off them to be able to test the different phenos and see which I want to run again, next time giving them a more proper run. I will still be able to make some seeds too this run so it should still be a somewhat productive grow even given the issues.

BTW there are some trichs developing on the little bud leaves that are starting so I gave them a little rub and the smell was very good, much different than I was expecting though it is VERY early to tell since the smell often changes a lot throughout the flowering process. I was trying to figure out what it smelled like and it reminds me of the kind of piney melon smell of Jack Herer but has like a lemon lime thing going too. Smells very intersting already.

Give them some dolomite lime asap. 1 heaping tablespoon in a gallon of water...and a small amount of nitrogen. You'll she see a change in a day or two.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi Dr, im not sure i agree about the dolomite - what makes you think it will help?

BT, that sounds like the right course of action. you dont want to throw too much at them as it will probably be detrimental at the end, but just keep them supplemented a little. if the pots are drying out very quickly then dont be scared to leave them in a saucer/tray of nute solution/runoff for a few hours and let them soak it up. this also helps re-wet any soil that has dried out.
if your LED's have a higher PAR wattage than your hps then the plants will use more nutrition for sure.
it looks as much PK def as it does N to me.

glad some smells are starting to develop already, thats a good sign. i really think there will be some outstanding keeper phenos to come from this line.

VG

Well, the dolomite adjusts the PH and add some micronutrients to the soil....also, when you add the dolomite to the plants, you take a tablespoon of it and mix it around in a gallon of water with a tiny bit of nitrogen added. The size of the small end of a Miracle Grow scooper/spoon. I have encountered issues like this many times before.Trust me, dolomite always did the trick.

ambertrich

Veteran
BT, those plants really don't look very bad. As VG said, you should still get some decent smoke to evaluate which to run again.

But, I know what you mean. I am always much more critical of my plants than anyone else. You know you can do better and it can be frustrating as hell. In the end, it just shows you to be a conscientious and dedicated grower. And when you are open enough to learn from your mistakes, its going to make you a better grower over time.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to how these ladies pan out for you in the end.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I attempted pollination last night but will be a few days until I see any withered orange pistils indicating successful pollination.

I pollinated a smaller main branch on the lone female PB3 with PB4 pollen and a small lower branch with a little bit of OX4 pollen. I pollinated pretty well each bud site on the main branch of the PB3 female so I get mostly PB F2s and only a few PBxOX F1s.

PB4 on left OX4 on right (minus one branch each for pollen harvesting)

picture.php