What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Berkeley Requires Marijuana Dispensaries To Provide Free Weed For Low-Income Patients

epicorchard

I'm a little late chiming in. But I donate 10lbs a year to a berkeley club that gives it away to people in their compassionate program. This year they better than matched my donation. This meant that twice as many people got twice as much medication.

Last time I checked my medicine grows on TREES. Grow more, Give More. One Love! ...or two if you're lucky

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
I'm a little late chiming in. But I donate 10lbs a year to a berkeley club that gives it away to people in their compassionate program. This year they better than matched my donation. This meant that twice as many people got twice as much medication.

Last time I checked my medicine grows on TREES. Grow more, Give More. One Love! ...or two if you're lucky

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=56097&pictureid=1309185&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

But you do it because you want to be kind, not because somebody ordered you to. Therein lies the difference.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I too give it away. But I would never rob some one from their reward for their work. This is the same thing that a thief does it is just legal. I would never assume someone has more than they need. How the hell would I know what their commitments are or are not? I could just as easily have take that help away by forcing them to give up the 2%.

epicorchard

But you do it because you want to be kind, not because somebody ordered you to. Therein lies the difference.

Definitely, but I also do it to promote the positive image of cannabis and cannabis growers.

Also I don't know if anyone remembers the salaries of BPG's 3 board of directors made public last year. It was over $900k each if i recall correctly.

I'm not knocking them for it, just saying they can afford to give back a little bit of free small buds every year. you know they're not gonna be handing out top shelf eights. lol

Space Toker

Veteran
way to go epicorchard! yeah you see these rich multi million or billionaires givng like 50k or maybe a couple hundred respectively. Why can't they give away 25% or 50? Hell if I was that rich I'd give away 90 and still have plenty for myself! And Grassliands, I had the govt cheese, it wasn't all that bad unlike your arrogant attitude towards poor folk or "entitlements". I was poor due to no fault of my own, as was my mom who had cancer, and still no one did stuff for her for free like they should have, other than one rich family that drove her in for treatments. Without that govt cheese and other "handouts", we literally would not have survived. So can the smugness please, thanks!

Grass Lands

Veteran
way to go epicorchard! yeah you see these rich multi million or billionaires givng like 50k or maybe a couple hundred respectively. Why can't they give away 25% or 50? Hell if I was that rich I'd give away 90 and still have plenty for myself! And Grassliands, I had the govt cheese, it wasn't all that bad unlike your arrogant attitude towards poor folk or "entitlements". I was poor due to no fault of my own, as was my mom who had cancer, and still no one did stuff for her for free like they should have, other than one rich family that drove her in for treatments. Without that govt cheese and other "handouts", we literally would not have survived. So can the smugness please, thanks!

Smugness???...looks like you missed the point. I am glad there were folks to help out your mom and you..and good for you if you like gov cheese. As for me I don't take jack shit from the good ole gov...I've always worked for a living and I've always helped folks when i can, whether it be helping mend a fence or giving someone some weed when they are in need...or if someone needs 20 bucks to go buy groceries then by all means I open up the pocket and if the pocket is empty at the time I will glady open up my pantry.

Now back to Big Brother and the entitlement attitude...There will always be some who game the system and thats just the way Big Brother wants it..you see, a gov big enough to give you things is big enough to take it away.

But for you to sit there and say a business needs to donate..then why don't you stand up to good ole Wally World and see if they will give shit away...hell they can't even pay a decent wage for most their employee's to make it on...Unless you are a manager there you don't stand a chance without said gov handouts....but nothing is said about that.

Also you have no idea about business...I would love for you to try and give away 90% of your stock and make it...you would be out on your ass in a heart beat...

Sforza

Veteran
way to go epicorchard! yeah you see these rich multi million or billionaires givng like 50k or maybe a couple hundred respectively.

As of May 16, 2013, Bill Gates had donated US$28 billion to his charitable foundation.

A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius and Fiji.

The year that just ended was a pretty good one for super-large charitable gifts, thanks particularly to Warren Buffett. The Berkshire Hathaway chairman’s combined $3.09 billion pledge to his children’s charitable foundations tops The Chronicle of Philanthropy’s list of 10 largest charitable gifts announced by individuals in 2012.

The list, released Tuesday by the trade publication for nonprofits, includes 15 gifts, pledges or bequests totaling a whopping $5.1 billion, more than any year since the $8 billion total in 2008. (A number of gifts were tied at the same dollar amount – which explains why a list of 10 biggest gifts has five extra entries.) In late August, in honor of his 82nd birthday, Buffett pledged $1.03 billion to each of his three children’s charitable foundations.

Take away the biggest gift and the list isn’t quite as impressive, says Stacy Palmer, editor of The Chronicle of Philanthropy. “If you take Buffett’s gift out, the total is less than last year,” Palmer explains (the 2011 total was $2.6 billion). She isn’t belittling Buffett’s generosity – but she adds that he’s given so much to charity already that it’s not really “new” philanthropy. FORBES calculates that the Oracle of Omaha has already donated at least $9.5 billion in shares of Berkshire Hathaway to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. That sum does not include the latest $3 billion pledge to his children’s foundations.

Some of the other gifts near the top of the list were announced in the past month. Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg disclosed his nearly $500 million gift to the Silicon Valley Community Foundation on his Facebook page on December 18. Billionaire publisher and real estate tycoon Mortimer Zuckerman’s $200 million pledge to Columbia University’s Mind Brain Behavior Institute was announced in mid-December as well.

Another big supporter of brain research is Microsoft cofounder and billionaire investor Paul Allen. His $300 million pledge to his Allen Institute for Brain Science is the third largest sum announced in 2012. My colleague Matthew Herper spent time talking with Allen and some of the scientists at his Brain Institute in this fascinating article a few months ago.

Sforza

Veteran
But for you to sit there and say a business needs to donate..then why don't you stand up to good ole Wally World and see if they will give shit away...hell they can't even pay a decent wage for most their employee's to make it on...Unless you are a manager there you don't stand a chance without said gov handouts....but nothing is said about that.

Actually, liberals are forever crying about Wally World, although the low prices at Wally World and the low prices forced on the competitors of Wally World have probably done more to mitigate the bite of poverty than any of the many doing the complaining.

Is Wally World the only one paying low wages? In most cases, Wally World pays as well or better than many other companies in the community. If they did not they would not be able to hire workers. So workers at other companies are also making it by working and getting government benefits.

Instead of crying about the workers at Wally World being eligible for government benefits, why not complain about the government giving away taxpayer money?

The only reason that you hear so much complaining about Wally World is because they resist being unionized. Since the unions provide a great deal of money and manpower for the Democrats, the Democrat politicians rag on Walmart, and the media, the PR arm of the Democrat party, keeps the issue on the back burner, always boiling.

Would poor people be better off if higher wages were paid by Walmart due to being unionized? The workers would be, unless there were fewer jobs due to higher overhead forcing higher prices and less volume, but would the shoppers at Walmart be better off?

You were on the right track with not wanting anything from government, since as Washington stated, "Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."

Space Toker

Veteran
I am too not in the right state to fully address this right now, but yes I know some rich people are really charitable and I commend them for that. And I know Wally world is both a cancer on society and an oppressor of the poor, and a cheap place to buy things for those that can't afford more. And I know you are against "entitlements" (almost no one helped my mom, you misread that but we all make mistakes) and yet seem to have a good heart and forgive me for not addressing that earlier, life is full of its little contradictions and most seem hypocrits against what they say they believe at times including me. I just don't believe enough people are charitable and "entitlements" fill that gap... if all taxes and "entitlements" were eliminated, I feel and fear people would not be charitable enough (they weren't in my family's case when we were powerless to help ourselves, and that was WITH "entitlements") and many would suffer or starve. Hey I don't like that taxes go to the military or useless wars or cops or whatever, but I realize without them roads would crumble and not enough of us care enough for our fellow man. I guess I did feel up to it! Anyway, you both make a lot of sense even though I don't agree with everything, if I missed anything I have to try better tomorrow!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Legislating charity is NOT what charity is all about....

You don't force people to be charitable....

SG1

Goblin Master
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That will be a good use of high grade trim.
The bill doesn't specify that the 2% has to be top shelf bud.

I hate entitlement, I hate that those who choose the easy path to nothingness, then expect their hands and faces to stay full for free.
With 1/3 of americans on welfare/govment cheese, seems to be trending.

So just like taxes, if you gotta pay, you gotta pay.
So if I had to give away 2% to keep a business license, I'd do it.
I'd be handing out fat sacks of frosty shake, and then watching their un-grateful faces sour.
Hell I'll hand out 5%, being a generous fella.

Ah yes, entitlement, God Bless!!!!!!!!!

Growcephus

Veteran
Legislating charity is NOT what charity is all about....

You don't force people to be charitable....

Forced charity was popular back in the day, but they didn't call it that, they called it SLAVERY. But I guess as long as it's for "the poor", slavery is fine, right?

No.

It's not.

Ever.

Not even if it's for "only" 2% of your product.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
There's an easier solution that hasn't been discussed. Move out of Berkley.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
There's an easier solution that hasn't been discussed. Move out of Berkley.

Then who does that help. No one it just makes it unavailable for everyone.

The problem comes when there is no place to move to. Then it becomes a black market again. Just like cigarettes in New York. Taxes so high it creates crime syndicates. But hey the people who want to give away your stuff with out your consent don't care right. Heartless bastards would have people go with out as long as they look like the good big hearted guys today. All the while making you a slave to the government that created the problem in the first place.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If the gov't., be it local, state, or federal, is gonna FORCE these dispensaries to be charitable, at LEAST call it by the proper name:

Taxes, Fees, Tolls, Levies or Tariffs.....

Space Toker

Veteran
whether you realize it, there are those that are theoretically able-bodied but in reality it is not that simple and black and white. What if someone was physically able but had mental issues and forcing them to "work" caused then to shoot up the office from the stress, whereas society pays a lesser price by letting them stay home and avoid judgmental people that look down on them and cause them to snap? What if someone has medical issues and going to work causes them to lose benefits and they can't get equal or better medical insurance to cover their costs and can't afford their meds? My mom on cancer could not work, she could barely maintain consciousness. I could not work, I was like 8 then you honestly think I could have done any better? I'm sure someone can tell me a story about how their grandpa worked in a sweatshop in the 30's and was 8, but no one should be subjected to that!

so although I agree forced charity isn't really charity, come on you can't spare 2%? Undoubtedly, there are some that have no issues whatsoever and out to exploit the system, whether the majority of those that get aid or the minority I do not know. But there are plenty that need aid, would you have denied my late mom and her kids the right to live? Where is your compassion, that is supposed to freely flow among us in the cannabis community right?

"entitlement" is an evil word that automatically suggests those that have nothing are not deserving and it is thought they are able, but are exploiting the system and that further most assistance receivers are like that, I highly doubt it and know there are plenty with nowhere else to turn. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, if you can't donate or be forced to give at least 2% to help those in need, there is something seriously wrong with you! (hell I had nothing but change in my pocket and often gave like 25% regularly to the homeless) And to suggest those who are in need deserve only scraps is also beyond arrogance, yes they should not EXPECT top shelf but I think you could spare a little! I admire those who said they freely gave generously, but how many would do that? maybe 8% of the population? Is that enough to make up for the "entitlements"? If you don't want to give things away or be taxed for "entitlements", would you be willing to give triple or more to permanently fix the problem by curing people of their mental illnesses or substance abuse, retraining them and paying for schooling so they can find a good job and in turn pay back into society? I didn't think so, so like the stupid but apt old saying goes "you can't have your cake and eat it too". Pick the lesser of 2 "evils", or the more expensive but more permanent one, but "niether" is not an option in a 1st world country such as ours.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I say 2% is not enough. The bible asks for 10%. Maybe we should give 20% to be fair. Or hell lets just give it all so the government can decide how much of our own work we deserve.

I to was poor at one time. I ate out of dumpsters or off wild plants that I found. One year I didn't get a jacket till the middle of december. Only because some one gave it to me because I was going to school in the snow in a sweater.

Because of this I give and give often. That said I do not feel I have the right to force someone else to give up what is theirs.

Your story is sad. That said I would have helped you and your family if I could. But I can not steal from one person to help another no matter what the need. It is theft. Changing the meaning of entitlement does not change what it is.

As a matter of fact I know a person with mental illness who now grows. I taught him how to and now he pays his bills by growing. I also gave him most of the equipment he now uses to grow. And all this with out the government coming in with a gun and stealing what I own.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
at the prices they charge and the salaries the board guys make they should give more than 2% anyhow......sick med peeps shouldn't be paying those prices so ya ...you got taxed biotch be glad it wasn't more.....compassion my ass... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Latest posts

Latest posts