What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RDWC Grow Along!

Snype

Veteran
Also your pictures didn't show up in the thread. Maybe you something wrong. I never saw them so I'm just giving you information on what I see in my head and from the variables that you stated.

Miraculous Meds

hi snype, I see u talked about testing other rdwc ideas. Have u tried out heaths design he laid out in his tree grow thread on this site. I stopped doing rdwc cause of potential root probs but if I did it again I would use his criteria. I think its spot on for max growth rates and not having to use any air pumps. I know I ran his flooded tube setup and it ran awesome!

Snype

Veteran
hi snype, I see u talked about testing other rdwc ideas. Have u tried out heaths design he laid out in his tree grow thread on this site. I stopped doing rdwc cause of potential root probs but if I did it again I would use his criteria. I think its spot on for max growth rates and not having to use any air pumps. I know I ran his flooded tube setup and it ran awesome!

I never saw that thread. I think I looked for it and there was no pictures. Is a flooded tube RDWC? Not sure. For me personally, growing in my systems is so simple and I never lose crops. I could be wrong but I feel like a lot of failures happen because people aren't starting with healthy plants or they are lacking on some equipment or techniques that i use. I don't even use a chiller and my temps can still get into the 90's and my plants are still fine. I remember before the addition to the specific air pumps that I use and the use of chlorine and healthy plants, I use to lose crops left and right. I understand how easy it is to lose crops growing in RDWC but if you have the same system with the same parts and didn't skimp on anything, you shouldn't have any problems unless you already have problems. I'm never the type of guy that leaves my systems for days without checking what's going on. I'm very anal about checking data every day or 2. It seems like a lot of people that I talk to don't even record any data to learn what's going on. They just check the pH. I don't know how you can feed properly if you don't check the PPM data as well.

When I was talking about testing new systems, I was talking about a new vertical system and other systems that have bigger containers to grow bigger and fewer plants. I'm really interested to test the vertical systems though so that'll be first.

Miraculous Meds

Cool I run vert scrog ppks and love them. Still dialing though. I think I could manage a healthy rdwc nowadays but I already switch so much I want to dial what im doing. With the ppks and coco there is a buffer to not losing a whole crop to root rot.

The "flooded tube vert", (yes its rdwc, cause it recirculates and the roots grow in the water) look it up that way is over on riu, I think, it should have pics, but is designed for high plant counts. Heaths latest tree grow is the thread here that highlights big plants. Its details start around page 8 for the design. It features fast water flow as heaths main advantage. I would definitely do it like that if I switched to rdwc.

When I was running the flooded tubes I broke a gpw for my first time and I fried the roots with bleach as well. that blew me away that I screwed up and still broke gpw, that's how I knew heath was the real deal and vert too.

So what bleach level r u at nowadays, I settled on 1ml in 20gallons water, every 4 days. But when I burnt my roots to the point they looked like little strings inside the original root I was using 2.5ml in 10 gallons.

Snype

Veteran
Cool I run vert scrog ppks and love them. Still dialing though. I think I could manage a healthy rdwc nowadays but I already switch so much I want to dial what im doing. With the ppks and coco there is a buffer to not losing a whole crop to root rot.

The "flooded tube vert", (yes its rdwc, cause it recirculates and the roots grow in the water) look it up that way is over on riu, I think, it should have pics, but is designed for high plant counts. Heaths latest tree grow is the thread here that highlights big plants. Its details start around page 8 for the design. It features fast water flow as heaths main advantage. I would definitely do it like that if I switched to rdwc.

When I was running the flooded tubes I broke a gpw for my first time and I fried the roots with bleach as well. that blew me away that I screwed up and still broke gpw, that's how I knew heath was the real deal and vert too.

So what bleach level r u at nowadays, I settled on 1ml in 20gallons water, every 4 days. But when I burnt my roots to the point they looked like little strings inside the original root I was using 2.5ml in 10 gallons.

Because of plant numbers I have to stay under 100 plants so I'm switching my systems to run 1 plant per light in bigger containers and going to veg for longer. I'm not sure if the tube thing would work for me. That's amazing that you broke a gram per watt in your first run!

For my Chlorine, I've been running 1 mL of Clorox Bleach for every 30 gallons of solution every 5-7 days.

Miraculous Meds

thanks I had a debate with another fellow that was telling me to use a couple ml a gallon or something to sanitize coco when watering. I thought that was too much since my 2.5ml in 20 gallons fried my roots.

Now don't misunderstand I had been growing for 15 years prior to that. Just my first time in the tubes I did that, with that root problem too.

The tube system isn't for u but the tree grow shows how heath lays out large plant rdwc's that would be right up ur alley.

HOVAH2.0

What rate water pump for a 40 bucket system? What type \ rate air pumps would you use?? Thanks in advance.

Snype

Veteran
What rate water pump for a 40 bucket system? What type \ rate air pumps would you use?? Thanks in advance.

I don't know if a 40 bucket system would work with 5 gallon buckets and 1.5" pipes. I would personally break up your plan to 4 individual systems with the Danner Model 5 for each system.

Smplfrmr

Beautiful craftmanship

Beautiful craftmanship

I have recently built my first rdwc system, I wish I had read this before I started. Lots of good tips here and on your other threads. Respect for your knowledge and thanks for sharing.

Snype

Veteran
I have recently built my first rdwc system, I wish I had read this before I started. Lots of good tips here and on your other threads. Respect for your knowledge and thanks for sharing.

Maybe you will share your grow here? Hope you have success in your new systems!

Smplfrmr

Maybe you will share your grow here? Hope you have success in your new systems!

I will keep up my journal regular now that I'm online again. I can follow up with smoke report and yield. I'd love to see a gram per watt myself

C

chillinout

Snype Yu know me from another name... I forget what that one was, but Im back on ICMAg and want to say thanks for all the posts. You're one of the best assets on this entire forum. Enough with my ass kissing. Im currently finishing up a soil grow of some beautiful Tangerine power(well Im about 1/2 way through flower. Next, Im gearing up for my first rdwc scrog grow. Im going to throw up 4 liberty hazes or 4 holy grail kushes under 600 watts. With 4 supplement 250 watt CFL's... I m not sure about posting the grow as it make me a little nervous because Im in a non legal state but at least Im only growing 4. Thats not a felony here and its for me personally. Im not selling it. Im actually not sure what I like more? Growing it or smoking it. I will be dropping in on your rdwc threads I know I will learn a ton, I hopefully I can contribute too....

Snype

Veteran
Snype Yu know me from another name... I forget what that one was, but Im back on ICMAg and want to say thanks for all the posts. You're one of the best assets on this entire forum. Enough with my ass kissing. Im currently finishing up a soil grow of some beautiful Tangerine power(well Im about 1/2 way through flower. Next, Im gearing up for my first rdwc scrog grow. Im going to throw up 4 liberty hazes or 4 holy grail kushes under 600 watts. With 4 supplement 250 watt CFL's... I m not sure about posting the grow as it make me a little nervous because Im in a non legal state but at least Im only growing 4. Thats not a felony here and its for me personally. Im not selling it. Im actually not sure what I like more? Growing it or smoking it. I will be dropping in on your rdwc threads I know I will learn a ton, I hopefully I can contribute too....

Welcome back! Thanks for your kind words! Sounds like you got a plan!

C

chillinout

Welcome back! Thanks for your kind words! Sounds like you got a plan!

I do have a plan, what are your thoughts on a 4 plant rdwc scrog? My main reason for a scrog is limited height. Also do you have any experience with Liberty haze or Holy Grail Kush?

C

chillinout

Snype Im using a 4, 3 gallon bucket system. Can you tell me the correct pump to use in regards to GPH? and also how many ml. of clorox to keep my roots healthy? Im really excited to start this RDWC. In your opinion, is a 4 bucket scrog grow relatively easy to manage for a beginner RDWC grower. I'm pretty detail oriented and do very well with soil...

Snype

Veteran
Snype Im using a 4, 3 gallon bucket system. Can you tell me the correct pump to use in regards to GPH? and also how many ml. of clorox to keep my roots healthy? Im really excited to start this RDWC. In your opinion, is a 4 bucket scrog grow relatively easy to manage for a beginner RDWC grower. I'm pretty detail oriented and do very well with soil...

After you put your pots in the system, add your water with a container that is marked so you know how much water is going into the system. When you know how much water you system is going to hold, let me know and I'll let you know what pump to get.

C

chillinout

After you put your pots in the system, add your water with a container that is marked so you know how much water is going into the system. When you know how much water you system is going to hold, let me know and I'll let you know what pump to get.

OK Cool... It'll still probably be mid Jan. Im just getting eager and trying to get all set up and ready to do this right... After I do a test run so I know there are no leaks, Ill keep ya posted and thanks again...

Also, I just want to fill water to the very bottom of the baskets, correct?

Snype

Veteran
OK Cool... It'll still probably be mid Jan. Im just getting eager and trying to get all set up and ready to do this right... After I do a test run so I know there are no leaks, Ill keep ya posted and thanks again...

Also, I just want to fill water to the very bottom of the baskets, correct?

About an inch below the net pot. The problem is that if your floor isn't level, the water will be very different in the pots. For suck a small system, you'll probably use a Danner model 3 pump.

C

chillinout

Good thinking on the level. My floor is basically level however i will now be setting up on a 4x8 piece of plywood so i can level it exactly....

C

chillinout

Hey Snype, Ive changed my mind a bit about the nuts after reading and re reading your tutorials. I was going to use a product that had a live component to it but like what you say about a sterile environment and ease of maintaining PH levels. Im just going to try to mimic you a bit. That being said, Im unfamiliar with GH Flora Series. When you say all you use is Micro and Bloom is that literally? Are those the only two nutes in your system the entire grow? or is there more to it than that?

Latest posts

Latest posts