What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Look who's supporting cannabis!

puffing white

Hey guys - look who's supporting cannabis!
Michael Correia, a former GOP staffer who spent two years lobbying for the conservative American Legislative Exchange Council, is the newest advocate for the National Cannabis Industry Association

check out facebook/medicannsuperpac

L

lemongrove

Well of course he supports a cannabis "industry." GOP members always support "industry." Anytime a Top dog GOP person supports something you know they love it when something is taken from the hands of the people and turned into corporate business. That way they get the government to control it by passing laws that allow only "the industry" to grow it, market it,sell it and to severely punish anyone who goes against the new corporate protecting laws. It's called taking control of a market and a product; marijuana will soon only be a "product" for "consumers."
It will still be illegal for you to grow it or even give it to someone. So if you like corporate control over marijuana backed by corporate written laws that are given to government agencies to pass into law,laws that will punish private growers, then you will like this news too.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
lemongrove hit the nail squarely on the head.

don't trust fucking politicians duh they are professional liars.. they want to fuck you over and over and over and over and then you die and then they want to fuck your children over and over and over (this cycle has continued for millenia).

it's corporatist interests vs human rights, but people keep giving in and dragging us all into the abyss.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I agree with lemongrove, monopolistic take over is the goal.

Anyone that thinks differently just look at the alcohol vs moonshine model, alcohol is 100% legal but if you get caught moonshining you'll be behind bars.

True freedom is being able to grow and use without taxation or government intervention.

HUGE

Veteran
Yes for certain the new legalization move is a corporate takeover of the market. Question is what do we do about it. I see a couple options. 1. Start a stop cannabis legalization campaign. 2. Say fuck it and keep doing your illicit grow u tell Tue man comes around. 3. Try and compete in this new "maket\industry".

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree with lemongrove, monopolistic take over is the goal.

Anyone that thinks differently just look at the alcohol vs moonshine model, alcohol is 100% legal but if you get caught moonshining you'll be behind bars.

True freedom is being able to grow and use without taxation or government intervention.

I'm pretty sure we're free to make our own wine and beer. Home distillation might technically be illegal, but I haven't heard of anyone being busted for personal use. Yeah, they still bust you if you're running a commercial operation without paying taxes. It's not 100% freedom, but it beats prohibition.

I don't know anything about Michael Correia, but I know that some Republicans actually believe in less government control and more personal freedom. Too bad they aren't all like that.

FUCKINGROOVIN

I agree with most of the above, I mean what way for them to make the most $ out of it (which is what their all about) than to grow, regulate, and tax it...Then when they are the ones growing it, it would turn into mass production where yield/chemical properties will matter most, not flavor. You know it will Most Definitely not be organic, probably GMO, and then regulate the amount of potency if they even allowed THC over CBD.

FUCKINGROOVIN

Should've stated this in above post, sorry.

Anyways we would still be in the same boat (growing under the radar and fighting for our freedom)
To me, that is NOT something I could settle for.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
Exactly,, "legalization" in any form will just mean that you will probably get sued for all your money by corporations for growing their patented intellectual property.. unless you jump through every hoop and drool when they ring the bell and you may be allowed to have a few of your precious plants (probably some watered down GHS rubbish)... fuck that, it isn't freedom.. As we are seeing more and more ANY card they give you or certificate certifying you can grow weed by the state can be taken away in the blink of an eye and your life fucked up royally in every way. So you will probably always be hiding from them in some way anyway, unless you are a complete simpleton or severely handicapped, no matter what privileges the state says you can have in exchange for your inalienable birth right to grow any plant you desire however you desire.

Best in my opinion to not consent to their scheduling of all kinds of plants by ignoring their whole system, we can't vote to change the laws and amendments that are being put in place globally to control what plant genetics can be grown so i in no way consent or acknowledge any politician or corporation claiming to represent or own any living being.. just more taxes and drudgery and misery and degradation of life itself just so some suits in the capital wont have you crucified.

their whole system is corrupt on all levels especially the courts.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
Exactly,, "legalization" in any form will just mean that you will probably get sued for all your money by corporations for growing their patented intellectual property.. unless you jump through every hoop and drool when they ring the bell and you may be allowed to have a few of your precious plants (probably some watered down GHS rubbish)... fuck that, it isn't freedom.. As we are seeing more and more ANY card they give you or certificate certifying you can grow weed by the state can be taken away in the blink of an eye and your life fucked up royally in every way. So you will probably always be hiding from them in some way anyway, unless you are a complete simpleton or severely handicapped, no matter what privileges the state says you can have in exchange for your inalienable birth right to grow any plant you desire however you desire.

Best in my opinion to not consent to their scheduling of all kinds of plants by ignoring their whole system, we can't vote to change the laws and amendments that are being put in place globally to control what plant genetics can be grown so i in no way consent or acknowledge any politician or corporation claiming to represent or own any living being.. just more taxes and drudgery and misery and degradation of life itself just so some suits in the capital wont have you crucified.

If I were King, cannabis would be as legal as corn. OTOH, the perfect can be the enemy of the good.

I'll take what's been achieved here in CO as the enormous victory it truly is, work with it. Our politicians can't touch it. At the level of small scale personal possession & cultivation, cannabis is truly State legal here, embedded in the State Constitution. For those purposes, the residual rules & games around that are inconvenient at worst, entirely do-able. We can legally buy it, grow it, use it, share it, carry it around & give it away rather fearlessly. No med card games, either, unless you choose to play that.

It'll only get better from here, regardless of what happens in the commercial side of things, the marketplace. It's nice to be able to just buy the stuff like beer, for sure, but the rest of the package is what has permanently destroyed prohibition in CO.

Correia? He's a lobbyist, a hired gun. He has the right connections. He knows people. He's part of a network of others who do the same thing. His hiring means that people who smell big money are putting out some of their own to have him as their pitch man to the powerful.

It means that legalization is mainstream, and that people are trying to make money off of that. It beats trying to make money off of the increasingly privatized prison industry. Lots of different interests are looking for their piece of what they see as a big pie. And that's OK, because I'm tickled pink to have my own little tiny sliver of pie, myself, and to never make a dime off of it. Lots of other Coloradans are as well, I'm sure.

Like it or not, legalization needs allies. Citizens who favor using it for tax revenues. Businessmen who want to make money. People who see it as an issue of social justice. Politicians who can embrace it as a popular issue. So forth and so on.

A multitude of different interests came together to pass A64, and the same thing will need to happen in other places, too.

So, uhh, Viva El Lobbyist! I hope Correia wows 'em right out of their panties.

RetroGrow

Veteran
The same people who wanted to lock us up yesterday are now ready to pick our pockets tomorrow. Filthy scum, no matter which way you slice it. These scumbags get on the bandwagon, not for reasons of right or wrong, but for pure greed, the same greed that got it criminalized to begin with.
I'm still for all out decriminalization and release of all cannabis prisoners, but the whole process has been an enduring sickness. I would like reparations for being held hostage to their criminal laws for all these years, and the asshole pigs who've made their living locking up peaceful stoners need themselves to see the inside of a jail cell, or a coffin.

Well of course he supports a cannabis "industry." GOP members always support "industry." Anytime a Top dog GOP person supports something you know they love it when something is taken from the hands of the people and turned into corporate business. That way they get the government to control it by passing laws that allow only "the industry" to grow it, market it,sell it and to severely punish anyone who goes against the new corporate protecting laws. It's called taking control of a market and a product; marijuana will soon only be a "product" for "consumers."
It will still be illegal for you to grow it or even give it to someone. So if you like corporate control over marijuana backed by corporate written laws that are given to government agencies to pass into law,laws that will punish private growers, then you will like this news too.

Very very well said. I've had these exact thoughts for years It is why I support mmj over recreation. Recreation will be corporate weed and the end of the mom and pop grower, which is a very large group of people, more than most realize.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
jhhnn you sum up the kind of self satisfied entity created when someone has already swapped their rights for state sanctioned priviledges. you are tickled pink to have what you have there so you are happy for that model to be forced on everyone essentially by again accepting the influence of big money as a necessity, much like the completely corrupt american political system.

I'm not pro legalization i am pro decriminalisation, for cannabis and all the other entheogenic plants and i will fight for the rest of my life, in my own way, to see them in the hands of people without any government or corporate middle men having any involvement.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Very very well said. I've had these exact thoughts for years It is why I support mmj over recreation. Recreation will be corporate weed and the end of the mom and pop grower, which is a very large group of people, more than most realize.

So, uhh, legalization should be turned back to insure mom & pop underground growers their lifestyles? Really?

Perfectly healthy people should have to play the med card game to enjoy cannabis?

WTF planet is this, anyway?

I'm skeptical on what the whole truth is, but I DO tend to lean more conservative when it comes to financial issues. I think that legalizing would take a HUGE chunk out of the pharmaceutical industry if cannabis were legalized in a best case FOR-THE-PEOPLE scenario, but being that he is a conservative... Only guys like Arjan or whatever his name is would probably be prepared for the BIG business turn in the cannabis industry. But I do think that the medicinal side of cannabis will be explored RAPIDLY and IN DEPTH, revealing some amazingly useful new strains (think Charlette's web).

But big business aside... We as stoners, have always said "man if they legalized this, they could tax the shit out of it and solve all of the world's problems", if they are going to tax the shit out of it, so beit! I'm just glad the cause is being looked at be people who represent the "real world big business guys". It's better than an unrealistic "everyone wins" scenario that would probably fail and lead right back to prohibition.

And if it is leading to that, we all need to grow our own VERIFIBLY UNIQUE STRAINS AND PATENT THEM. I was ripped off as a young boy over not having a patent for my invention, trust me you can protect yourself and make the new world of pot work, you just have to jump through all the hoops to start a legitimate business like every other industry. It may take a bank loan to start growing pot on the good side of the law some day... But I can't wait for the day when you can tell your banker that you have some great shit growing, and that you are going to have a great fiscal quarter. Weed isn't dead, it's just on it's way to the barber and buying some dress clothes while it's out. It's done with school and looking for it's first real job.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Well of course he supports a cannabis "industry." GOP members always support "industry."

Ain't just the GOP.. Both parties seem, to myself, to be two sides of the same coin. A perceived difference in the two parties, although miniscule, creates a fairly peaceful division in the general populace. A distraction from the larger picture. Always watch for the metaphorical silver coins which serve to cause mere illusion over the issue at hand.