What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2KW Tent :D NFT S.O.G H&G Nutrients

Green_science

So blooming was induced on the 12/05 the following pics were taken a few days back, so plants were 3 weeks and 1 day (22 days) into 12/12.

They are now being fed a slight feed of BUD XL, Root excel has been stopped so their feeding currently consists of:

Aqua Flakes, Amino Treatment, Multizyme, BudXl and a little Trace Mix (good practice).

PH is set pretty low, 5.7 (but that is what this strain likes)

Next week they will receive a little shot of Top Booster, H&G's PK Booster

There is now 2.6kw of lighting in there as I hung an extra 600w HPS.

Their stretch is over now and have been netted up and mostly trimmed.

Also unsure if I mentioned, as usual I give them 24HR dark period before flip.

12/12 Day 22

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Green_science

Plants are just going in to week 5, day 28, they are starting to stack up real nice now, and are already extremely resinous, UVB lighting as been added as a lighting supplement, they are being fed extra PK now, along with full doses of Bud XL

This is where the fun begins!!im sure ther are some beautiful aromas lingering around.

im njoying the show, and cant wait to see PHAT colas/

pt

Green_science

IMHO I think H&G are the best commercial feed you can buy off the shelf, I have not used Aptus though.

Couldnt tell you how much for the whole line, depends on where you buy it, from which country, how big you're tank is etc.

redbeard909

Hi green nice grow your doing, just wanted to ask a quick question as I'm about to start using nft for the 1st time do you put an air stone in the Rez for when the roots go in there? Thanks.

Green_science

Hi green nice grow your doing, just wanted to ask a quick question as I'm about to start using nft for the 1st time do you put an air stone in the Rez for when the roots go in there? Thanks.

Thank you, "air curtains" are a good idea and can only benefit the roots that lay mostly in the rez

Grow4Flow

How do you like the house and garden nutes?

I'm thinking of switching over... How much for a full line?

Dohboy,
i used to use H&G religiously and to be honest, it was draining the wallet. Don't get me wrong, it is a great lineup but very costly and too much to mix up. For the whole lineup, it will cost you a few hundred for the additives and 1 liter base nutes, A tiny bottle of Roots Excelerator alone is about $100. Again, great stuff, but you pay for it.

Green,
Nice setup. I used to run NFT as well before converting to aero which was by far the easiest, highest yielding, most forgiving style of growing i have ever done. Worse by far for me is soil, i could not dial in a soil grow if my life depended on it. That, and i hate any media period!

Aero still took some monitoring, With full time work and finishing up my degrees, i had to switch to something with less maint........ebb n flow, hate it, but it works with my schedule. I can't wait to see how your NFT run turns out bro.

Green_science

so are you using an air curtain? was just wondering is it actually necessary or will it still be ok without one? thanks.

Of coarse all setups are different, so I cannot give you a definitive answer.

What you will notice "probably" that if you do not use some method to enrich deep watered roots with oxygen is that plants belonging to said roots will grow slightly slower, which will in turn make for an uneven canopy and that's not the idea in NFT, IME they will still grow perfectly healthy but at a slower rate, so although an air curtain is not a necessity I would highly recommend it.

An air pump, small length of air line, and 2 air curtain style infusers will probably set you back less than $30 if you shop around, if you can afford it, once again, I highly recommend it.

Green_science

Dohboy,

Green,
Nice setup. I used to run NFT as well before converting to aero which was by far the easiest, highest yielding, most forgiving style of growing i have ever done. Worse by far for me is soil, i could not dial in a soil grow if my life depended on it. That, and i hate any media period!

Aero still took some monitoring, With full time work and finishing up my degrees, i had to switch to something with less maint........ebb n flow, hate it, but it works with my schedule. I can't wait to see how your NFT run turns out bro.

Thank you, I have used/use most hydro methods, after all is said and done, I think I prefer SOG/SCROG hybrid in NFT, just like the one in this thread, NFT is more popular in Europe than in the states, probably due to plant numbers etc.

Soil, for me personally I have always found HYDRO easier than soil, and the strange thing is it's mostly for the reasons people give for the exact opposite, IE

"If you make a mistake in soil you can just flush it out"

That's never quiet made sense to me, surely making a mistake in you're hydro reservoir (which I don't do anyway), is more forgiving, IE empty the tank without feeding plants and refill it?

I have even heard people talk about how the mess of hydro is a PITA, UH, IME hydro is 10x cleaner neater and tidier than DIRT, but hey what ever, I guess everyone's entitled to their opinions.

Of coarse failing hydro pumps, are a serious threat that you do not have with dirt, HOWEVER, if you are taking care of larger grows which you cannot be around to maintain everyday then there are backup precautions you can take.

You can have extra pumps connected to you're feeds, that pump twice a day for example, and use DCA (double check valves) so no water comes back through the plumbing attached to you're constant pumps, problem solved, all this been said, in the MANY years I have been doing this I have never had 1 MaxiJet pump fail on me, (perhaps I am just lucky)

The only advantage of dirt, (for me), are it's therapeutic values, I recently have discovered there's something very calming and, to me, enjoyable about mixing dirt, potting up and hand watering etc etc.

In light of above 99% of my work is done using soiless mediums though, I do not really mess with dirt hardly at all (no time).

I have however just literally finished setting up a little dirt spot using some BioBizz ALLMIX, quiet interested to see how things go, here's a little pic, the plants are young, in 2 weeks I will get rid of that aero cloner in the corner and place 5 plants under each light. anyway good to have you around

Grow4Flow

Absolutely Green, dirt takes to long to correct any mistakes. When i was doing Aero, the change is made overnight. In regards to the failing pump, This is what makes Ebb n Flow buckets work for me as well, there is always a bit of water left in the bottom from the previous flood.

I dig those wing reflectors, i used to use them but never seen those adjustment brackets before.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
The canopy look great G_S. You've done a splendid job of keeping them in check. The description you give of hybrid sog/scrog is spot on, without the hassle of training into a net.

How are you finding the extra 600w hung vertically is helping out? That's a shitload of light crammed into s relatively small space... Also how are you running the UVB in terms of hours? Does it come on before the main lamps for a while or is it run in conjunction with them all.

Would you expect the area directly under the UVB to have more THC if the theory is correct?

Green_science

@Grow4Flow I hear ya on the ebb and flow safety feature, those reflectors are called Mantis Pro's, and yeh they are great.

@Shhh Cheers "bud", yeh hybrid scrog/sog, I think it's an acceptable term for the style of growing and I am sure alot of people do it, not quiet enough plant numbers per light to be a TRUE SOG, but perhaps too many to consider it a convetional SCROG, you are absolutely correct in that I do not train them through the net, I do all the training by super pruning/cropping, bending, twisting, etc without the aid of a net, the net is placed around 4 weeks in flower nearly exclusively for support, of coarse I move a few branches in to more appropriate places (if needed) but it's absolutely not the point of the net.

As for the extra 600w, I was always hoping to add a little more light, I just had to check temps once light schedule had been switched, during lights on I was able to bring the canopy temp >70f so of coarse it would be silly for me not to add some more light.

Currently there are 2x1kw but they are running on super lumen mode, which claims an extra %10 light output, I imagine this probably brings the 1kw to something like 1070w x 2 =2140w + 600w + 100w (50w x 2, the uvb supplements).

This gives us 2840w / 49ft sq, puts us on about 58w psqft, so definitely not excessive, If I turn the 2 main lights off and put only the 600 vert on, you can see how much it's massively helping , (ill try grab a pic), The colas forming in between the 600w and the main lights, are DEFINITELY more stocky and full, but of coarse you would expect this, once it's more noticeable ill try to get some pics.

As for the UVB, I am supplementing them with the UVB 4 hours either side of their solar noon, Aka they get 8 hours of UVB supplementation a day, 4 hours per side of the middle of their day, so UVB comes on 2 hours after main lights, and off 2 hours before main lights.

I have messed with UVB before, and have not had consistent results, at least not enough so for me to make a definite decision on exactly how much difference they make. The science behind it seems sound and makes sense, but I have grown/seen grown, extremely potent flowers under pure red HPS containing trace to no amounts of UVB which seems to put a little hiccup in the science, OR, maybe the science is right, and all this extremely dank ass weed we all grow around here could be EVEN DANKER.

I am documenting the results of this in a comparison thread if you are interested.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=260046

Green_science

Plants are just about to start getting flushed, their current rez has about 25% recommended feed from instruction, I do this as not to cause a problem with roots, salt ions osmatic pressure blah blah, let's not get in to that here (unless people are interested), lighting schedule will taken to 11/13 On/Off, I will drop temps off, a full tank of water will be replaced each day after the 2 days of 25% feed solution, once plain water flush starts it will be ph'd for 2 days, afterwards ph will be dropped and plain water flush (fresh tank replaced daily for 5/7 days, day before harvest plants will dry out a little ie a day of no watering, and then put into 24 hour darkness at very low temps. Uvb will not be cut down they will still receive 8 hours per day up to darkness. Trichs are about 5-10% Amber they will be 40-50% at chop.

As for yield, as you can see in the pictures it is a very full canopy, however floral cluster size has not been compromised thanks to the 1k bulbs, with the way things are already looking and the possibility of a final swell during flush, I would not be shocked to see 5 lbs, which is around 550g per meter squared.

The flowers are looking and smelling great, a couple of clusters directly under the UVB do look different, one of them seems a whiter/milkier color . Pics up at harvest, I will keep a few test samples from UVB exposed areas.