What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Aspirin for plants!

soserthc1

Bump ...... Looking for a consensus on aspirin use

I've been using 325 mg aspirin for awhile now but have switched in the last 6 months to just in veg. I started using it along with kontos and chitison during the dreaded dud days (@stormshadow $) I've been running perfect for about a solid year and a half now , not even a knat in my room.

So after things went back to normal growing and my flower room was tight. I decided that activating the plants natural defense mechanism in flower is no longer needed and can actually be a deterrent now. The post from 2005 above stated that the plant will actually sacrifice some of its cells in order to save the entire plant. My thinking is I no longer need to do this if everything in flower is running at peak performance.

I still add it to every other veg feeding (when not using nutrients). Granted my veg area is pretty tight also I'm almost afraid to post this but I've not even seen a bug in 16months.
I've been as of late cutting the 325 aspirin in half now for veg but still using it.

Anyone have a reason for me to stop or continue this ? I'd love to here your thoughts
@wierd especially yours as I think your posts are aces around here ����

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same as using willow water....and no synthetic binders that aspirin has to make the tablet.

HarvestMoon303

Salicylic acid is the active ingredient in aspirin. Acetic acid is vinegar. I think that RO water wouldn't produce acetosalicylic acid. But I could understand your fear of vinegar :D Me, I'd stay away from the whole damn mess lol....

No, Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. Sodium Salicylate + acetyl chloride.

http://www.chem.latech.edu/~deddy/chem104/104Aspirin.htm

I have synthesized it in some lower level organic chemistry classes in college. :tiphat:

MazeWL

Zamalito FYI Salix is the latin word for willow not aspirin
I have an old ed rosenthal book that says to use aspirin to cause sex reversal for breeding all female seeds. So I wouldn't do it unless you were experimanting to produce female pollen. Organic growers have been using willow rood bark as a rooting hormone for quite some time. Salicylates come from the latin word salix meaning aspirin. The greeks including aristotle used extract of willow and poplar bark in the treatment of pain gout and other illness. In the 1800s the active ingredient of these preparations was isolated as salycilic acid. In the 1890s bayer (also made zyclon b nerve gas for the nazis invented heroin and owns gw pharm producer of thc/cbd inhaler) close to 1900 bayer toyed with the salycilic acid molecule and invented acetylsalicylic acid which is aspirin a name derived from acetyl and spiralic acid (the old name for salicylic acid)