What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BioZome?!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Anyone of you guys ever heard of BioZome?

1st time I heard was reading thru Skunk magazine on an article by the Rev (true living organic preacher). It's a blend of beneficial natural microorganisms. It's a bit hard to find, but there are a few fertilizer products that are starting to include it in the mix!

Anyways, if someone got some more info please chime in!

C21H30O2

I have ridden the mighty sandworm.
Veteran
Biozome is a mix of archea bacteria. Archea are a very primitive form of bacteria which can live in very harsh environments (ie. low oxygen, hot/cold temp, acidic/basic). They are also very good at jump starting the re-mineralization process (breaking down rock). I usually just put some biozome in my AACT, but I'm not entirely convinced I don't have enough archea already present in my compost.

N

Nondual

but I'm not entirely convinced I don't have enough archea already present in my compost.
You probably have enough in your compost especially if well established. Supposedly while archae are not the majority of a soil culture they account for most of the biological activity. Don't know if that's true but they still seem very aggressive and active. Yes from what I understand they are important when it comes to mineral processing in the soil life loop.

Yeah Rev is a fan of Biozome. One of the few things I've seen him stick with over the years.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no expert on the Rev but he seems a Johnny come lately skating on other peoples' coat tails kinda guy.

On Archaea, it is already everywhere in your soil, compost and compost tea. Someone who buys the Biozome harsh environment archaea is just being taken for a ride. [ they actually once claimed that Archaea were discovered by Dr. Carl Oppenheimer until I challenged them on that; Now I see they changed the wording] Read what I say about Archaea on my page and in my posts. Note I use the phrase bacteria/archaea fairly consistently.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/archaea/archaea.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/08/060817103131.htm

Stop wasting money on crap that magazine guys spew.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey Microbeman,

Thanks for stopping by and sharing some useful links, will def give it a read tomorrow when I got some free time in my hands!

That's why I posted here, before jumping on the bandwagon!Aalways better to get some good clarification from some folks that are not getting financial sponsorship by some product :dance013:

Peace!:thank you:

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
I use Jobe's Organics, and I have noticed they have a couple of different "BioZome" formulas. One bag I have seems to contain no fungal starts, just bacteria. Another bag contains both, and the latest bag I got of their "Knock Out" rose food seems to have only fungal starters.

I think my strategy, in simplest terms has been to use a variety of sources(Espoma Bio-Tone Starter Plus, and a variety of Jobe's BioZome sources) and then let the soil cook for a long time, allowing the best microbes to win. It's not fantastically scientific or anything, but it has caused major improvements in my organic growing. Some day I want to make more of a science of it, but for now, I just stick with affordable sources in great variety and try to keep conditions as ideal as possible in the soil bin.

Last major wave of plant problems I had was partly due to having used soil that had not been "cooked" enough, coupled with a freak March heat up. The "old" soil that was more cooked totally recuperated the plants after the heat issue was dealt with. I have no way to know though if the "BioZome" starters have much to do with that......

h.h.

Veteran
Since you called it a starter, I wonder how much of it is microbial and how much of it is some sort of protein such as cornmeal. I'm finding a lot of similarities between Great White and some old ground up beans from the cabinet. Makes me wonder how much is science and how much is trickery.
I like the BioZombie brand. You do have to cook them first or their tough and putrid tasting. And DON"T leave it out of the fridge or they'll smoke all your dope.

N

Nondual

I'm no expert on the Rev but he seems a Johnny come lately skating on other peoples' coat tails kinda guy.

Stop wasting money on crap that magazine guys spew.
Would be interesting to see what Dignan says about that. I'm just a nobody.

Let's see...Rev has been growing for 35+ years and breeding for 20+ years. Hmmmm...interesting. A strain that Rev bred is one of Dignan's favorites. Lots of people grow based on buying store bought 'soil' and nutes and toss the 'soil' after each cycle. Virtually no one brews teas.

You're right...you're not an expert on the Rev. Next time you're down his way stop in, share a beer and shoot the shit then maybe pass judgement.

h.h.

Veteran
If I took a Canadian to the desert in the middle of summer and expected a hard days work out of him, I would be foolish. The same as if I were to head up that way in the middle of winter and try to do a days work.
I'll stick to what is adapted to my conditions, most of which are in my compost pile.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would be interesting to see what Dignan says about that. I'm just a nobody.

Let's see...Rev has been growing for 35+ years and breeding for 20+ years. Hmmmm...interesting. A strain that Rev bred is one of Dignan's favorites. Lots of people grow based on buying store bought 'soil' and nutes and toss the 'soil' after each cycle. Virtually no one brews teas.

You're right...you're not an expert on the Rev. Next time you're down his way stop in, share a beer and shoot the shit then maybe pass judgement.

I guess my comment is only related to the magazine phase and some of the quotes [which seem way off] on using teas. But absolutely I could be wrong. [from a guy whose been growing for 40+ years and the first I know of to produce 100% organic commercially to the dispensaries; even had a write up in Rev's mag; gulp] I guess Ed, Kyle and Jorge have been around a few years too.

Gotta love that forcing the flower with nutrients and then later the ....ooops yellowing in flower.....5th edition...coolaide sweet molasses bud.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I guess my comment is only related to the magazine phase and some of the quotes [which seem way off] on using teas. But absolutely I could be wrong. [from a guy whose been growing for 40+ years and the first I know of to produce 100% organic commercially to the dispensaries; even had a write up in Rev's mag; gulp] I guess Ed, Kyle and Jorge have been around a few years too.

Gotta love that forcing the flower with nutrients and then later the ....ooops yellowing in flower.....5th edition...coolaide sweet molasses bud.

You have to have a kewl fake name MM to get the recognition long term growers deserve...not that some of us need it or are even asking for it~ Adopting a used car salesman/snake oil salesman approach is a good way to get the foot in the door...

High Times was cool when I was 18...now over two decades later it's just a laugh...like reading a MAD magazine or sumtin'....
Swami Kushendez

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That but I probably spoke without true knowledge anyway; you know...my grumpy side ;>

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought you had a cool fake name.

Me or Captain Cheese? He has two. I love my cool fake name. Maybe I should put it on my stuff....huh? I'm thinking of selling real endomycorrhizal spores rather than the puny ones on the market.

Sean Price

High Times was cool when I was 18...now over two decades later it's just a laugh...like reading a MAD magazine or sumtin'....
Swami Kushendez

Haha yea I've read old ones and they have long articles about all sorts of interesting stuff..now just repeats of the same old..
"This Month; Yet Another DWC 1.2.3. How-to.".:dunno:

N

Nondual

He's a friend of mine and we go back a ways. I for sure don't agree with everything he says or does. He's been under ground for most of his tenure unlike others. I haven't had a chance to look through his new book. Would be nice to before I see him again so we can have a 'discussion' or two lol. I've smoked herb he's grown and some of the best I've ever had.

It's just that I'd like to see the focus on the value of the product, Biozome, itself if there is any and not a person. I guess for me if I was looking for an off-the-shelf archae product that would be it if I wanted such a product for any reason. I started an outdoor grow bin and compost bin and used a little of this and that to kick things off. Didn't use Biozome though. Used a lot of top soil from an area under oaks that's been grazed once a year for like 50+ years. Wild herbs and weeds carpet that area in the spring. That was part of my inoculant program.

I did talk to John Evans from Bountea a bit and he's a big fan of Biozome. He's doing a lot of work in the Philipines in agriculture and other stuff like cleaning up fouled areas with cultures like this. It's been a few years though so rusty on the details.