What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaf edges curling up. Leaf tips twisting...

L

LumpStatus

Been running trouble free for a long time now but suddenly having issues in the veg room. My leaf edges are curling up or cupping and the tips are twisting. The plants are lush green and look normal other than that.

Ive been using canna coco with cogr vega at 10ml per gal. Ph to 6.0. Hand water as needed. Veg room is at 78 degrees f. Humidity 30% typically. This is only happening in veg.

Some say magnesium def...so i used cal mag for a while but didnt notice any difference. Veg room has its own ac system so its not heat stress, highest temp is 78. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• curl3.jpg
    curl3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 16
  • curl2.jpg
    curl2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 14
  • curl1.jpg
    curl1.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 14

touringfunkband

Have you questioned the accuracy of your ph meter? Are you feeding every watering?
Are you watering with runoff or no runoff?

L

LumpStatus

Have you questioned the accuracy of your ph meter? Are you feeding every watering?
Are you watering with runoff or no runoff?

I have questioned the accuracy of my ph meter...in fact, I question this often! I would say I check it weekly with 4 and 7 cal solution and i double check from time to time with the color dropper indicator...can you say ocd? I feed every watering with 5-10% runoff typically.

I would like to mention that i have seen an increase in the hardness of my water recently and im thinking perhaps that may be an issue. My water is about .5 ec now give or take...Im purchasing an evolution ro system...Do i need to start using calmag?

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
I inspect my plants regularly so I think i might notice mites even if they are russet mites...but its worth a shot...ill check them out tonight!

i lost a shit ton of money thinking the same thing.. you need a scope... and need to sit there for a second with it they are fucking small....

L

LumpStatus

I checked them out this evening and im not seeing anything at all...leaves are very clean...checked the leaves, leaf stems, and also main stems with a 30x loupe and then a 100x microscope...all really clean no bugs to be found...I really appreciate the tip though and did a little research on those mites. They do make edges curl up but i dont see any twisting of the tips but i could be wrong.

whodare

Veteran
Ec .5 is pretty high and depending on the alkalinity in the form of carbonates it could led to a rise in your medias ph...

Acid injection can neutralize the alkalinity. Sulfuric acid, phosphoric acid and nitric acid work well. When ph reaches 4.5 the alkalinity has been neutralized.

Or as you said an r.o.

That humidity is real low too, vapor pressure deficit is an important factor. I recommend you look it up, it has to do with humidity,leaf temp and ambient temp relationship

Last edited:

Piel

Veteran
I have the same issue but I also have chlorosis of some leaves and stunted growth. I´m growing AF strains, I started them under 600+400W of light and they germed well and started growing nicely but then the leaves started "tacoing" and the leaf edges are wilting. They are about 4weeks old, soil grow and no nutes yet (6l containers). Temps are 23-26C, a fan is blowing over the plants. I did move the lamps a bit close and I probably overwatered in the beginning (I ´ve started weighing the pots about a week ago). 22/2 lighting. Usually I´d (outdoors) I´d have plants at least 30 cm tall at this stage.

Where´d I go wrong? Light stress?

S

SeaMaiden

Been running trouble free for a long time now but suddenly having issues in the veg room. My leaf edges are curling up or cupping and the tips are twisting. The plants are lush green and look normal other than that.

Ive been using canna coco with cogr vega at 10ml per gal. Ph to 6.0. Hand water as needed. Veg room is at 78 degrees f. Humidity 30% typically. This is only happening in veg.

Some say magnesium def...so i used cal mag for a while but didnt notice any difference. Veg room has its own ac system so its not heat stress, highest temp is 78. Any suggestions?
Definitely NOT Mg-, or Ca-. Appears to be an issue with relative humidity (VPD, aka vapor pressure deficit).

I would also try ranging the pH, both lower and higher, see how the plants respond. 5.8-6.2 is the range I use for coir.

L

LumpStatus

Do you guys have any good threads to point me to on vpd? Are these calculations necessary, or will simply raising my rh be enough? Are there any devices available that will calculate my vpd for me and give me some type of readout on a digital display or something of the sort?

S

SeaMaiden

There's an online calculator that I use, autogrow systems or something like that, I'll have to search for it again. Knowing VPD is good because it helps you understand what's happening. Raising RH should bring it within parameters.

Ok, calculator & calculation: http://www.autogrow.com/vpd_calc.php

http://www.autogrow.com/1_information/1_vpd/info_vpd.html

Holy SHIT! Using the calculator and the numbers you've provided, your plants' VPD is 2.28Kpa. That is FAR outside of optimal range.

Bringing the RH up to 60% would give you a Kpa of 1.3, not ideal but not so far outside a good range. Bringing it up to 65% would give you a Kpa of 1.14, nearing the ideal Kpa of .85.

whodare

Veteran
^^^^

True shit...

OP, fwiw I run my temps at ~80f and humidity at 70% in veg through stretch in flower then I drop humidity to ~40%

L

LumpStatus

Wow...thanks guys..gonba check things out later and see what needs to be done. Ill report back!

Mia

My understanding with the Canna line(which I use myself) is that if you go the RO route you need to supplement with cal mag. Otherwise it's unnecessary.
I use RO water and do 3-5ml per gallon and pretty much cut it out two weeks from finish.
Not sure what to make of the leaf curling...
Good luck!

I

izzywozzywizzy

i had herer do same raised light a ft problem solved . heat stroke

RetroGrow

Veteran

As others have stated, your humidity is a bit low, and your PH a bit high, IMO. I would stick to 5.8.