What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Skunkburner LEP Grow

S

skunkburner

The newest additions to the Skunkburner Lab, the Gavita Pro 300 LEP.
The total amount of lighting in the room consists of 3kW of HID lighting with Adjust-a-Wing reflectors and 600W of LEP lighting.
Hortilux Blue MH bulbs are used for vegging and the first two weeks of flowering, after which they are switched to Hortilux Super HPS bulbs for the rest.
Plants are in 7 gallon fabric pots which hold a bit over 50 liters of Canna Coco substrate.
Nutrients are Canna Coco A+B with the Canna additives Rhizotonic, Cannazym, Boost, and PK13/14.
Other equipment includes a CAP CO2 generator, and a 14,000 BTU A/C unit to keep everything nice and cool.
The vegging tent has a 400 watt magnetic ballast with a Hortilux Blue MH bulb and two 125W CFL bulbs.
Mother plants are kept in soil using Canna Terra nutrients with clones being rooted in Canna Coco using Canna Start and Rhizotonic as their nutrients.

Currently Flowering:
Island Sweet Skunk - Next Generation Seeds
Strawberry Cough - Kyle Kushman
Skunk #1 - Sensi Seeds
BC God Bud - BC Bud Depot

Mothers:
Tahoe OG - Swerve
Apollo 11 - Brothers Grimm
Sour Grapes - Apothecary Genetics
Super Silver Haze - Mr. Nice Seeds
Lemon G - Private Breeder in Ohio
Abusive Kush Haze - Reservoir Seeds
Purple Erkle - Private Breeder in Cali.
Strawberry Cough - Kyle Kushman
Island Sweet Skunk - Next Generation

Jan 14th. Vegging:
picture.php

Jan 31st. 1 week into flowering:
picture.php

picture.php

Mothers tent:
picture.php

Newly transplanted clones:
picture.php

S

skunkburner

The plants love it so far. I'm very curious to see how the UVB light will affect trichome development later on. They've only just been switched over to a 12/12 light cycle for about a week and a half.

S

skunkburner

A quick update at 23 days in flower. The side with the more indica strains has been switched over to a Hortilux Super HPS 1000W bulb, while the other two HID lamps are still running Hortilux Blue 1000W bulbs to prevent the more sativa strains from stretching too much.

Strawberry Cough @ 23 days:
picture.php

Island Sweet Skunk @ 23 days:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Skunk #1 @ 23 days:
picture.php

picture.php

G

Guest3498

Hey nice work and sweet show skunkburner. Can't wait to see how that kksc cola looks in a month or so :tiphat:

S

skunkburner

Thanks Vado! That KKSC cola is one of quite a few on the plant that will pack on some serious weight. I'm still having trouble towards the end with the leaves yellowing to hell on the KKSC, but it doesn't seem to affect it much. Pulled 9.35oz dried per plant last harvest in 7gal fabric containers, hoping to pull 10oz off each this time around with the help of the LEP.

S

skunkburner

Another update for Feb. 17th:

Overview of everything:
picture.php

This particular ISS cola stands around 6'4", I really should've flowered them sooner:
picture.php

One of the many KKSC colas that are filling in nicely:
picture.php

And a quick pic from my harem of ladies:
picture.php

S

skunkburner

Yup, all the HID's are running brand new 1000W Hortilux Super HPS bulbs.

TB Gardens

Veteran
Nice, I'm seeing these gavitas pop up more & more, seems very interesting. Nice clean room u got urself there brother :tiphat:

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Nice clean work that mate, love the LEP's very jealous :D Room looks very nice and strain list is sounding great!

I read that Adjusta wings are not so great though, I was just about to buy a new electronic ballast and adjusta wing but then read Pico's reflector test amongst other threads that didn't rate them as highly as others. Not trying to an ass, just thought as your room looks spot on, and you have the LEP's maybe an upgrade of the wings is in order soon.

S

skunkburner

Thanks TB and Shh! Loving the Gavita LEP's so far, I'd have used their 1000 watt HID setups, but lacked the 240V lines. Compared to other grows the things that popped out right away was how quickly things grew in veg as compared to just using the Hortilux Blue MH lamps. Also, not surprisingly the colas under the LEP's didn't stretch nearly as much as the ones towards the sides. I'm really hoping that the area where the LEP's will prove most valuable is in trichome production, but things are a bit too early to judge that.

TB Gardens

Veteran
If you check out chief bigsmokes threads you'll find some pretty great information on UVB & trichome development.

whazzup

Veteran
A lot of people ask what a plasma lamp and that spectrum adds. One very important function is that it helps the plant to use the light as efficient as possible by moving in the ideal position to intercept the light. You will see a lot of vigor in the vegetative stage, while in flowering it keeps the buds compact. Here an example.

For a friend I made a fast little video (apologies for the spelling mistakes) of a test I did with just one seedling. Average growth was more than 3 cm per day (and still is). Now this is not how I would normally grow a plant but just to illustrate the added value and quality of the light (and of course this very nice strain Kronocaine ;)). But I want you to imagine this added to a 600 or 1000W HPS lamp.

What is also really nice is that your crop is more open, the leaf ratio is a lot better. That also results in less fluffy buds in the lower parts of your plants. You will see under LEP that every leaf catches light and the plant is completely closed from the top.

And yes, you can taste the difference too. If you only look at the trichomes you see that they color faster under plasma, and as the plants stay so green right until the end they keep spitting out new trichomes. So you end up a mix of a lot of amber trichomes, milky inflated trichomes and clear trichomes. This will have its effects on the cannabinoid ratios and will influence the effect. In general I would say it has more depth and punch to it. High as in itchy skull, stoned as in deep bodily relaxation.

I would recommend you to also pay close attention to how they smell. Our experience is a stronger smell.

UVB increases the production of flavonoids and essential oils. Put some basil and parsley next to your plants - they love it.

Research showed increases in THC levels up to 25% using UVB (for example 2009 - The effect of ultraviolet radiation on the accumulation of medicinal compounds in plants Wen Jing Zhang Lars Olof Björn).

S

skunkburner

Nice video Whazzup, did you also flower that plant using the Gavita LEP? Is there a video of that too?

whazzup

Veteran
The plant still stands bit is going to be cut down tonight after taking cuttings, it needs to make room for other experiments. I'll post a few pictures this week.

Last year I flowered a kronocaine which was in rainy weather outdoor for the first 3 weeks, it had to be salvaged. Here is a video of the outdoor Kronocaine, flowering indoor under 600W HPS and one LEP in her last week, THIS was week six.

S

skunkburner

Update on Feb 25th.

Overview of everything. The colas are starting to pack on weight.
picture.php

One of the larger ISS colas, I really should've kept these plants shorter as they exploded in size and some tips are suffering.
picture.php

Close up of trichome production on large ISS cola.
picture.php

A few of the other ISS colas.
picture.php

The KKSC is really loving the LEP.
picture.php

A single KKSC cola.
picture.php