What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nitrogen Deficiency when in bloom

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
Hello fellow members just a question regarding Nitrogen Deficiency when you are at 12/12... I have a ebb/flow system running 1kw for an 4x8 table using DNF anyways so I been watching them(half table AK-99 other half C-99 f2s and i noticed the C-99's are getting very yellowleaves and they are starting to fall off
Now i know its normal for a plant to shed leaves and get yellow at the end of its flowering stage but these are only at day 22 and the AK-99 are lush and green and the C-99s are yellowing.. NOW i have read that C-99 is a NITROGEN whore and I have also read that you NEVER NEVER ADD nitrogen during bloom...
So here in lies my question.. I know that its nitrogen deficiency so what do i do..Just leave it or add something to the tank to boost N.. If so what is best??
Peace Chefboy

G

I have a similar problem with my bubblegum ladies. I have been feeding flowering nutes still but i have been adding veg nutes too. To start with i was feeding 50/50 til i had it under control and now i use about flower 80/20 veg. Wilst i havent heard much about it being bad to add veg nutes i ges it could revert your plant to veg, but i have seen no ill effects.

G

The first question I'd ask in that situation would be about your nutrient schedule for the transitions stage, meaning the frist two to three weeks of 12/12. During early flowering the herb becomes a big time nitrogen sucker, and if it gets low N bloom diet too early, the result might be the deficiency like the one you observe.

gOurd^jr.

Hi peoples, thought I'd share my thoughts here since I dealt with this same issue during my latest grow. First off Wolvern is right that during early flowering, aka "the stretch", plants really suck up the N to fuel that burst of growth.
Chefboy- I would recomend adding some N to your c-99's. I haven't heard of them boing whorish but if thats the case then even stronger recomendation to give them som Nitrogen. I saw my plants start to yellow and lose leaves at about four weeks flowering for a 10-12 week strain. I did try to supplement them with some N but I was timid and didn't want to overfert them. In hindsight I really wish i had just given them a Lot of N because I'm pretty sure my yield suffered quite a bit since they were basically starving through most of flower. The conventional wisdom behind not giving N during flower is that high levels of N late in bloom can delay flower maturation and taste bad, thats basically it. If you are at Day 22 with a High N feeding strain then you should definantly give them N, they want it! You still have plenty of time to flush at the end to remove any excess and get nice smooth tastey herbs. I think there are very very few good growers who don't feed any N during flower and those don't only because they know their plants so well that they give them all they will need before they get into flowering.
My 2 cents hope they hepl
peace and pot
gOurd

G

I wouldn't add nitrogen now bro....too late...stick with the flower nutes the rest of the way and correct the problem next time...The reason why the AK is looking green still is because indica's use N alot less....peace

G

here are the facts, you be the judge...

I have also read that you NEVER NEVER ADD nitrogen during bloom...

BULLSHIT.
most if not all bloom fertz have some nitrogen in them, all fertilizer/compost does pretty much, as this element is found in all organic matter, a building block of life.

i do not know what the abbreviation "DNF" is, but if you tell me which nutes you have on-hand i'll be glad to make a suggestion, CAVEAT EMPTOR, i am a soil gardener... best bet is list the fertilizers you own already and let a hydro guru fill you in on dosing etc.

most likely the other "part" to the line, which you were using in veg, at the right dose, will suffice.

How many days are these strains? c99 F2 is 55-60 days right?
ak99 = the same??? im clueless, sorry.

either way, you have a while to go, and if flushed properly, you will be fine.

i use a 10-52-10 chem salt in soiless mix up till the last 2-3 weeks of flower.
nitrogen in flower aint a biggie if you flush well, some will say dont add it after the second HALF of flower, (think: crazy composer's less-is-more program, he weens off ferts very very early in flower letting the plant use it's stored energy for the last half for the most part, feeding the bare minimum.) but that would mean you still have a week to play :)

good luck with em, sounds like some nice strains in a nice system...would love to see pics :)

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
DNF= Dutch Nutrient Formula I am using Bloom A and Bloom B and have just added the DNF Bloom Fortifier which is 0-50-30 to increase bud size and give the buds ummfff....
It is strictly HYDRO ebb and flow using rockwool cubes and yes C-99 is around 50 day and AK-99 is 50-55 day and yes I will flush with just plain water 5 days before harvest
Think maybe i should just top off tank with bloom ferts and see what happens
Thanks everyone

G

Hey chefboy,
Capt.Jack is right about giving Nitrogen to flowering plants - you certainly can do that. In natural environment all the nutrients are available to plants regardless of their growth stage; plants take up (or rather use) what they need. So, you can give more N, just be sure to give them also enough of other elements. I am not familiar with DNF, so I can not comment on exact application of the product in your situation.

If, according to manufacturers recomendation there is some " transition" formula with DNF, then this is what should be used. If there is no such recommendation, than my recomendation would be to consider switching to another product.

Good luck!

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
i have always had to add nitrogen in flowering i havnt seen one gower who knows how to grow NOT use nitrogen in flowering

it also helpes waiting a week or 2 before switching to bloom ferts when in flowering
you dont just switch over to bloom ferts right when you get into flowering
the plant doesnt work like that it takes time for the plant to switch in high gear for flowering

it takes about a week or 2 depending on strain more indica/sativa
indica tends to flower much faster than sativas

so while you switch to bloom your robbing tyour plant and dont know it
it also helps out a lot to make sure your plants dont have any deficiences before going into flowering to help ease any stress

chefboy you can add nitrogen but in large amounts it will slow flowering down which is why you should give it low doses

10 15 10 is fine at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon you dont go by the reccomendations on the back for chemical ferts because they are faster acting than most organics

Latest posts

Latest posts