What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My lungs and BHO

JHerbz

I usually take one or two small dabs every hour from the time I wake up till I go to bed, averaging about half gram or so a day.
I am very interested in a vape pen, Im going on a vacation down to florida and a vape pen would be nice instead of taking my oil rig, torch and dabber with me.

DAYUM SON. i been on the oil game for 8-9 months now and i still only need a gram for a WEEK.

i used to smoke up to an 8th a day of bud

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Just wanted to help clear this up - Smoked cannabis bud (Not oil extractions) does not bind to your lungs like nicotine - smoking cannabis bud DOES NOT IMPAIR LUNG FUNCTION. If you take way too big hits and die coughing over and over - you can irritate your lungs/throat for a little bit (You can even get this vaporizing by coughing too much) - but smoking bud does not hurt or impair your lungs.

Moderate Marijuana Use Does Not Impair Lung Function, Study Finds (2012) Peer Reviewed

Full Article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/11/marijuana-smoking-does-not-harm-lungs-study-finds/

"The new research is one of the most extensive looks to date at whether long-term marijuana use causes pulmonary damage, and specifically whether its impact on the lungs is as harmful as smoking cigarettes. The researchers followed more than 5,000 people over two decades and found that regularly smoking marijuana — the equivalent of up to a joint a day over seven years — did not impair performance on a lung function test. The test, a measure of pulmonary obstruction that looks at the amount of air a person can force out in one second after taking a deep breath, is typically worsened by smoking tobacco."

it may not be an impairment, but it certainly is an irritant when in use, if the use is heavy, and especially with hash. many people attest that smoking lots of weed, especially hash, makes tons of lung congestion. i cant smoke as much hash as i would like, i just get coughing worse and worse from heavy use. i think vapor is more benign, less of an irritant, anyway.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
So you have never experienced a shortness of breath from certain batches of oils or ever in general hmk? I know you have been dabbing FOREVER compared to me so what do you thinks up?

KiefSweat

Veteran
i think its like a lot of things, you need to learn how to smoke hash properly in whatever form or way your smoking it.
Not saying that your improperly smoking it, but i'm beginning to think different forms should be smoked/vaped in different ways.

I've been dabbing and then riding my bike 10miles if anything I feel that with clean dabs my lungs feel better.

Until recently I was properly smoking an oz or so of flowers a week between the bong and blunts with oil here and there, now its all oil and i've smoked about 2grams of flowers this week.

GanjaRebelSeeds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I usually take one or two small dabs every hour from the time I wake up till I go to bed, averaging about half gram or so a day.
I am very interested in a vape pen, Im going on a vacation down to florida and a vape pen would be nice instead of taking my oil rig, torch and dabber with me.

Do you really think you need to be stoned 24 hrs a day,365 a year. Unless you have a very serious medical condition that requires cannabis constantly it seems like your over indulging.
I smoke a lot but sometimes you gotta have limits or it becomes unhealthy abuse,and that gives us all a bad look in the eyes of the non cannabis world.

KiefSweat

Veteran
medicating 12 times a day can be more then a lifestyle.

I still think dabbing would be harm reduction. I've cut down from about an oz of buds to 4-5grams of oil a week. I would assume its a lot safer to be smoking clean extracts then flowers with the additional irritants.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Yes I medicate all day to alleviate neck pain that before was treated with opiates and benzos daily. I had bulging discs between my C4-C5 vertebrea and between C5-C6 vertebrea, I also fractured my C4 vertebrea before the bulging discs. To be honest though even if I didn't have neck pain I'd still use just as heavy.

I agree kiefsweat choking down a half ounce to an ounce of flowers is what I would normaly do in a week, switching over to bho/absolutes mainly has been a god send up untill recently. I think it has to do the material I have been running because my lungs felt great before this.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The burning cellulose in plant material irritates my bronchial tubes and congests them. The paper in a joint makes it even worse. If I smoke regularly, my bronchial tubes are constantly in an uproar and congested.

When I switched to vaporizing oil, that problem went away. The oil does sometimes tickle my lungs and make me cough, but it clears, rather than congests my lungs.

I advise against smoking anything, because of the carcinogenic byproducts of pyrolysis. In addition, if you light oil with a flame, it puts off black phenolic smoke and when you vaporize it does not. Which do you want in your lungs?

thcbear

I think it could.be the heat from your daps thats getting to you. I used to be really poor and would need to stretch a few grams of weed a week or 2. I would use hot knives to make it last but the heat was killer on my throat. I find drinking lots of water might help. I probably drink about a litre or more everynight when i do my session. Lately I found my lungs were getting sore and i was hacking alot. I started taking the dog for walks and it helped alot. Getting as much fresh air in you as posible will help your lungs purge whatever is making them hurt.

PhenotypeX

I don't think adding moisture to my oil will make it easier on my lungs, removing moisture along with the solvents used is key to a proper purge. Storing any cannabis product with added moisture is asking for mold. Do you add extra moisture to your flowers and bubble before smoking ?

LOL!

Bi0hazard

Veteran
Look at how much they deemed moderate use, ONE JOINT A DAY. A lot of people smoke way more than that and big as joints/blunts or bong tokes. Having a cigarette a day will most likely lead to the same results.
Also, cannabinoids does bind to your lungs as the lungs have cb1 & cb2 receptors. Plus the dry, sticky substances bind to it due to condensation and the reasons I gave.

I agree 1 joint a day is a little light to compare to many here - it would be nice if they did one with 3 or 5 a day for a better study.

Although, what I meant was cannabis doesn't bind to the lungs "the same way" as nicotine and cigarette tar. It has been shown that the tar binding is exponentially less with cannabis than nicotine. The CB1/CB2 receptors in the lungs have even been shown to help open up lung expansion and help with breathing constrictions - which is the opposite of what nicotine/tar does.

1) Marijuana helps people with asthma and other breathing disorders

Full Article @ http://medicalmarijuana.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000132

2) Smoking Marijuana Is Good For Your Lungs [Recent Study]
Full Article @ http://www.inquisitr.com/179549/smoking-marijuana-is-good-for-your-lungs-recent-study/

"Researchers at University of California-San Francisco and University of Alabama at Birmingham examined 5,000 people ages 18 to 30 over a 20 year period and then collected information about each persons tobacco and marijuana smoking habits. Researchers then took measurements of a users lung capacity, specifically forced expiratory volume (FEV) which measures how much volume of air the lungs can hold along with forced vital capacity (FVC), or the speed at which a person can blow air out) at several key points during the studies entire period.

Researchers as expected found that tobacco smoking reduced lung capacity while marijuana smoking in moderate marijuana smokers improved lung capacity for both FVC and FEV levels. However the authors note that very heavy marijuana smoking still appears to decrease lung capacity."

I Guess if you are a heavy smoker, you may want to mix half vaping to help protect any possibly irritation to your lungs. I wonder if the type of cure the bud gets has an effect - smooth non-rough bud seems a lot nicer on the throat and lungs..

Bi0hazard

Veteran

Definitely be very careful in Florida, they are a Zero Tolerance state - no joke. You can get 6 months in jail for a single seed or the tinniest amount of bud.

Definitely go with the Vape pens for extra security/discreteness.. Not worth risking your future - so many people smoke e-cig's that you would fit in no-problem and could blaze as much as needed =]

ayatayo

Don't jump on me guys, just my modest contribution based on my modest experience...The pro-cancer side from smoking tobacco doesn't come from nicotine, which is the active principal like the THC for pot. it mainly comes from tar, and smoking nearly every dry vegetable material will produce tar. the tar is even worst when the plant smoked contains terpenes & phenols. and it's unfortunately the case of tobacco AND pot !!
come on guys: 3 or 4 bong bowls a day are equivalent to nearly a pack of filter cigarettes...
midwestHIGHS here are my 2 cents:
-vaporize, don't smoke....(the coughing from vaporizing comes from the the temps of vapor)...specially if you need that much medication...
-2-3 months break every year is a must: not only your lung cells will have a serious opportunity to regenerate, but it's also a good way to improve the strength of your will...not good to be a prisoner, even if the prison is the pretty Mrs Mary-Jane...
-as stated earlier in this thread, do a medical exam from time to time...good luck...

Ok_nobody

I have found that an oil well/pollen bowl hurts my throat/lungs less than a nail. A nail can be awful hot, and the vapor draws down past that heater, so even with my triple filtration, it still hits me hot. Granted, I don't use the nail that often, and probably could find a cooler temperature to work with (I get my quartz nail red, and then let it cool down a while). I find the oil well with a quartz rod delivers a much cooler, smoother hit. I also really like my Thermovape Revolution, although several of my friends have gotten rid of theirs because they didn't like them. I think theres' definitely a learning curve. Mine would get more use if I didn't keep loosing the extra batteries.

chos3n

Don't jump on me guys, just my modest contribution based on my modest experience...The pro-cancer side from smoking tobacco doesn't come from nicotine, which is the active principal like the THC for pot. it mainly comes from tar, and smoking nearly every dry vegetable material will produce tar. the tar is even worst when the plant smoked contains terpenes & phenols. and it's unfortunately the case of tobacco AND pot !!
come on guys: 3 or 4 bong bowls a day are equivalent to nearly a pack of filter cigarettes...
midwestHIGHS here are my 2 cents:
-vaporize, don't smoke....(the coughing from vaporizing comes from the the temps of vapor)...specially if you need that much medication...
-2-3 months break every year is a must: not only your lung cells will have a serious opportunity to regenerate, but it's also a good way to improve the strength of your will...not good to be a prisoner, even if the prison is the pretty Mrs Mary-Jane...
-as stated earlier in this thread, do a medical exam from time to time...good luck...

Gonna have to jump on you, too much misinformation and assumptions...

You cannot compare nicotine and tar. Nicotine is a naturally occurring chemical found in tobacco plants. Tar is a substance produced by the combustion of plant matter, and would be present with or without nicotine.

Please tell me where it's been shown that plants with more ''terps and phenols'' produce a greater amount of tar.

Again what is the source for your ridiculous claims? Look at what you're saying. If I have four bowls or even five bowls, of organically grown pesticide free bud, it is equal to one pack of cigarettes? Let's see, there's a little less than one gram of tobacco in a cigarette. .7 grams per cig x 20 cigs = 14 grams of tobacoo. Now for the amount of weed everyone packs different amounts, but to be fair lets say .5 per bowl. So for four bowls that would be two grams of organically gown pesticide free weed, versus 14 grams of tobacco, which by the way can be ''enhanced'' with up to 599 different chemical compounds. The only time I have seen this comparison besides from you is from grade school health books, which provide no sources and I've had several teachers say they don't agree with the drug statistics in those books.

Vaping can be hot I agree. I vape from a TI pad, if I drop oil on it's while it's red hot it does seem more harsh. If you let the ti cool for 3 seconds after heating it is not bad.

Quitting for 2-3 months may be a option for some, I wouldn't ask someone who uses marijuana as medicine to go without for so long. Cut back a little if possible, or look into edibles which provide great medical benefits and will give your lungs a break if needed.

And it should go without saying that being active and living a healthy lifestyle can be achieved while still enjoying the benefits of marijuana.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
So you have never experienced a shortness of breath from certain batches of oils or ever in general hmk? I know you have been dabbing FOREVER compared to me so what do you thinks up?

i know that when i take a large toke of pure hashish, or oil, it effects my lungs in a way that can be described like you say, but its an effect that happens only just after the toke. one feels like their lung capacity is diminished, and it is, as your lungs have a layer of inhaled cannabis resins in them, and for a minute or two they will clear themself out through absorption etc.

of course certain strains will have a different amount of this effect. i dont know if its the type of terpenes or what, but some things are very easy on you, others can kick you in the chest :)

Last edited:
T

Truthman

Gonna have to jump on you, too much misinformation and assumptions...

Please tell me where it's been shown that plants with more ''terps and phenols'' produce a greater amount of tar.

Terpenes and other oils contain carbons which when heated to the point of decomposition will create Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) which can be carcinogenic. Now, when you heat oils and hashes or even cook meat to a high temperature such as roasting and grilling you can get it to release smoke/vapor fast and you will do exactly what you don't want to do to create these PAHs. The higher the heat the faster the making of these substances and the more will be made and considering that you're inhaling this oil(which is exceptionally high in volatile compounds) with A LOT of oxygen by using a bong and simply inhaling deeply it can be created very easily. This is why vaporizers are so good as you can control the temperature and release these volatile compounds within there temperature range and not worry about all these problems. Even if you start your session in the 400f range it is still better than burning it with a lighter,match,beeline or using a glass,metal pad or nail as these still are too hot and they don't hold temperature long enough to allow you to just vape the volatile compounds, which vape as low 151f, if you go real low because as you inhale the cool air lowers the temperature of the nail or pad.

I can see using it once in a while when you want a quick hit but as an everyday things I don't think it's safe and being that this and oil/hash is the new craze I'm worried that it's going to cause problems with peoples health, they're going to go the doctor and he is going to blame cannabis itself and then it will be used to answer the question "why cannabis is bad for you" when in reality it isn't the cannabis but the method of use and how many times it's being used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycyclic_aromatic_hydrocarbons

"PAHs are one of the most widespread organic pollutants. In addition to their presence in fossil fuels they are also formed by incomplete combustion of carbon-containing fuels such as wood, coal, diesel, FAT, tobacco, and INCENSE."

Let me state that you can do things to make sure that you PAHs levels won't go crazy when you do puff on high heated concentrates. Things like doing some type of cardio everyday, eating leafy green vegetables everyday, drinking brassica tea, taking milk thistle or the best, using the new-chapters Supercritical Antioxidants. It used to be called smokeshield but I guess because a lot of people don't smoke anymore they think they don't need it when they do but it has been shown to lower carcinogenics within the blood of smokers who smoked for years in only 30 days and this is while they were smoking. It uses extracts from certain herbs so they can combine and be more powerful then when used by themselves.

http://www.newchapter.com/targeted-herbal-formulas/supercritical-antioxidants

http://www.brassica.com/

ayatayo

thanx for clarification Truthman......

hey Mr chos3en:
could you just even read ?
I've just stated that cancer and such lung disease IS NOT from nicotine, but from TAR.
again, nicotine for tobaco is like the THC for pot:it's the psycho-active principle. nothing to do with giving cancer...
That's what I wrote, and I maintain it...re read please before making false statments on what people wrote...

I also wrote that combustion of every single vegetable produce tar, and the combustion of pot stash DOES produce tar as well, and that tar isn't less harmful than the one of the tobbaco smoke, no matter how organic is your stash....and I maitain...

for the bong bowls equivaling many cigarettes, I didn't enter into any chemical details: I'm simply talking about the harshness of a bong hit compared to a hit from a filter cigarettes, (no matter how organic is your stash again)...the harshness of the the smoke it self, no matter it comes from a free pesticdes-salty ferts or a natural piece of wood in the cheminee or what ever...

Now maybe you have iron made lungs, but I testify for me and a majority of "normal human" around me, one serious bong hit fuck up our lungs like smoking 3 or 4 cigarettes one after the other in a very short lap of time. bong hits are very brutal to the lung compared to cigarette's hits...very common fact.

And that's only for just ONE serious bong hit...if you hit your bong 4 or 5 time a day do your maths....now again, may be you and your mates are some iron-super-men or somthing...we're not and still happy with it....

Enough libraries, internet sites, experienced man & women could give you all the proofs you need...

also, some Politeness and less aggressive attitude won't hurt you at all...less than a bong hit to your lungs....peace anyway...

Latest posts

Latest posts