What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone else love Zamaldelica and making crosses with it?

B

BAKED_BEANZ

i only have 4 zamdelica , i was,nt planning to seed any more look at them . but i couldn't resist hitting one that had a strong i,ll say carrot smell . but not sure it was that exactly, its only thrown pistils enough at this stage its ready to pollinate . i just got a heavy smell from the plant itself without any rubbing or touching .

so hit a branch with cherry chem swank , anther branch with black death pollen .

i hope she smokes up a mind twister , :)

nksv

I have Orient Express/Zam and some unknown old school haze sativa crossed with Zam in flower atm. They are so very vigourous, tough plants. Handle cold weather without issues which surprises me. I managed to get some of the Bodhi Apollo 11 which I think will make a great cross. My first Thai dominate Zamaldelica will go into flower soon. She is who I am most looking forward to trying out.

The Hatter

Veteran
So I've yet to grow or smoke Zamal, but from words spoken here and in ACE forum, rust II etc she sounds like a wonderful strain.

What are some of the primary characteristics you guys are seeing passed off to Zamal progeny? What are some characteristics you hope get passed along? Ive seen the effect has been described as dreamy/introspective with very positive vibes, accurate description?

I have a lot of the ace line up I've yet to try, a few I have already (VbT, panama) and would like a nice up high sat that is less of crazy wild ride and more big warm hug (VbT R.I.P.). Going to search through new and old GT line up in to find same effect, maybe worth looking into Zamaldelica too!!

Zamaldelica can have a range of effects depending on the pheno, but by all accounts it is a pretty intense sativa. The very first release back before Dubi had stabilized the strain and it had Thai in it could throw long flowering phenos that some people described as heart pounding, terror inducing paranoia. I have a friend with PTSD that feared my long flowering Zammy because it would make him have intense flash backs. Another one of my friends who likes indicas sat down and tried to get himself couch lock stoned off of it and just kept smoking and smoking it trying to chase that sedation that would never come. In the end he freaked out and had a panic attack and needed to take some xanax.

I personally found that 18 week pheno very uplifting and mentally stimulating, but it certainly did have a quite an edge on it and could almost be described as borderline psychedelic. I love intensely uplifting, trippy sativas because they are one of the few things that will cut through my depression, but even I couldn't smoke that stuff daily because things would start to get a bit surreal after a while. I think the words I would use to describe Zamaldelica would be more along the lines of intense, uplifting, electric, rushing, euphoric, trippy. It should be noted I was running the old unstable line that still threw hermies occasionally and had Thia in it. Dubi has since refined the strain removing those more extreme long flowering phenos and the hermie issues.

There are some phenos that have a very positive vibe to them. And there are some that lack the edge, but as a whole it's one of the more potent and edgy sativas out there and probably not quite what you are looking for unless you get a very lucky pheno. I think for the sort of effect you are seeking you might want to look at strains like Nep Jam, Tikal and Orient Express. You have already tried VBT which would be at the top of my list of suggestions for you. Although I have no personal experience with the following strains others have reported some very nice clean sativa effects from the Ethiopian and Honduran.

Last edited:

nksv

I agree on the Orient Express, really lovely strain. My Nepjams were a bit of fail unfortunately (lost a couple and the rest were males) but I managed to use a male to cross with my, guess what???, lovely Zamaldelica princess! That one was a wonderful smoke. I don't think you can wrong with playing around with top notch Ace gear. I'll pop more tomorrow in fact.

baduy

I'm lost with the lineage of Zamaldelica.
I think it's quite clear about the feminized version but I can't get if the regular are
bred using the first version of golden tiger Malawi X Hmong Thai or if the old malawi/new malawi X Hmong Thai/Koh Chang Thai is present in the breeding process.
Either way I got three very nice long internodes super narrow leaves zamaldelicas growing and if I got a male or several I will use him to dust some rsc Manipuri. I hope Z could reduce the flowering time . MANIMAL haha!

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I have some f3's of my Zamaldelica x Hawaiian. I won't be running any of them this year. I have so many irons in the fire. I'm putting up a greenhouse in a few weeks. This will be my first grow in a GH. I'm going to run about 20 different strains this summer. Mostly feminized stuff. Of the standard seeds I will run two of each in 65 gallon grow bags. I will cull all males, I don't want any hybrid seeded plants. But a Mechoacan Cream x Guawi could be an interesting toy. When I want to chuck pollen, a similar strain is released on the Ace site. I get to grow their work and have great results first time out. Peace

The Hatter

Veteran
I think it's quite clear about the feminized version but I can't get if the regular are
bred using the first version of golden tiger Malawi X Hmong Thai or if the old malawi/new malawi X Hmong Thai/Koh Chang Thai is present in the breeding process.
Either way I got three very nice long internodes super narrow leaves zamaldelicas growing and if I got a male or several I will use him to dust some rsc Manipuri. I hope Z could reduce the flowering time . MANIMAL haha!

Dubi has explained it in detail in other threads, but I can't find it to provide a link. What I do remember is that the breading on the line is very complicated. Dubi is a seriously skilled breeder so I imagine the newest versions of the strain are a lot more refined and stable than that first run of seeds I dabbled with. It definately looks like the flowering time on the strain as a whole has come down a bit. I ran into some guy who had a Zammy clone that finished in under 10 weeks!? I've been thinking about picking up a new pack despite still having half of my original pack of seeds just so I can go pheno hunting without fears of hitting one of those crazy long flowering phenos again. I mean love the smoke from that one pheno that took forever, don't get me wrong, but I just don't have the space or growing schedule to support that kind of a beast.

Best of luck with your girls. With a little luck you will find a nice fast flowering one suitable to your breading goals of bringing down the flowering time on the Manipuri.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

Hi baduy,

All the Zamaldelica releases (regular or fem, old or recent) only contain the older Golden Tiger version. This means Zamaldelica only contains one thai strain: Hmong/Meo Thai.

Only recent Golden Tiger releases contain Double Thai.
Hope it helps with your doubts.

baduy

Thanks Dubi.
I wouldn't say I had doubts, at least not about the quality of those beans, just you've been pretty in depth explaining the lineage of the fem version but I couldn't find a clear statement about the standard version.
In fact in this run I have big variability while last year the same pack gave me very homogenous individuals, three which look like last year ones, apparently looking quite Malawi looking leaves and zamal carrot flowery smell,and two others I know now are Hmong thai leaning, stem smell more like limon and a last one showing zamal strong branching with Thai leaves and a smell in between both so I'm happy, seems like I got the full range of zamaldelica color chart.
I'll post some pics of them this season,guerrilla style, should look good.

green-genes77

Veteran
Zamaldelica is an Excellent Breeding Tool

Zamaldelica is an Excellent Breeding Tool

In my very limited experience at any rate. Last year I had an opportunity to use both male and female of this variety for my seed making ventures. Keeping in mind it's a small sample size, there are a few consistent traits that this line seems more likely/less likely to pass on to its progeny when hybridized.

I dusted a female Zamaldelica with pollen from a Hawaiian Sativa x Sweet Tooth #3. This resulted in a plant that behaved much like the pollen source but with fatter, brighter-orange pistils and a more exotic, tropical aroma. The Zamaldelica lend a bit of a cerebral rush to the front-end of the hybrid that borders on disorienting.

The Zamaldelica male I worked with was extremely vigorous, extremely abundant of flower, and built up a serious floral mass very quickly. My notes are sketchy on its other attributes but it was a very citrus-smelling plant as well. Deep and very angular serrations on on long, medium-wide blades. The crosses were:

Zamaldelica x Durga Mata

Awesome indoor plants with high potential for Sea of Green. Density, structure, trichome coverage of Durga Mata. Pistils, citric/tropical smell and flavor, trippy face-melting from the Zamaldelica. Silver patina from Orion. Finishes 9 to 10 weeks.

Aurora Indica x Zamaldelica

So-so indoor plants. The Aurora Indica plant I used was one of less representative phenotypes. Classic Christmas tree shape outside with long running colas of moderate size and disappointing density, but with a one-of-a-kind, very intense high and weird fruity flavor.

With Zamaldelica in the mix, the plant replicated its form to my dismay. Bud density was the same as the AI, pistils more like the Zamaldelica. Came out smelling softly fruity and sort of creamy. Slightly reminiscent of cantaloupes. The high is rather incapacitating at first on this one but mellows out into a sleppy/dreamy experience soon after.

So in my, again very limited, experience Zamaldelica tends to pass on a formidable and immediate cerebral edge to the high, tends to augment the terpenes of the other parent but never dominate, and tends not to lend many of its structural features to the progeny, either in the plant or the flowers. The one exception is in the pistils and in some individual progeny the characteristics of the trichomes.

I am going to dip back into the freezer and see if I can get some of that 9 month old pollen to make some babies with a Durban I have in about week 4 right now.

Top notch plant to grow and breed with no doubt.

Last edited:

nksv

Awesome report green-genes77! This is totally the info I am looking for. Great to see that face melting quality coming through in your crosses.

I've just ordered some more Zamadelicas for further experimentation. Flowering out my Orient Express/Zamaldelica and Unknown Haze/Zamaldelica out now. Just popped Nepal Jam/Zamaldelica and another Haze/Zam cross for the next run.

seeded

In my very limited experience at any rate. Last year I had an opportunity to use both male and female of this variety for my seed making ventures. Keeping in mind it's a small sample size, there are a few consistent traits that this line seems more likely/less likely to pass on to its progeny when hybridized.

I dusted a female Zamaldelica with pollen from a Hawaiian Sativa x Sweet Tooth #3. This resulted in a plant that behaved much like the pollen source but with fatter, brighter-orange pistils and a more exotic, tropical aroma. The Zamaldelica lend a bit of a cerebral rush to the front-end of the hybrid that borders on disorienting.

The Zamaldelica male I worked with was extremely vigorous, extremely abundant of flower, and built up a serious floral mass very quickly. My notes are sketchy on its other attributes but it was a very citrus-smelling plant as well. Deep and very angular serrations on on long, medium-wide blades. The crosses were:

Zamaldelica x Durga Mata

Awesome indoor plants with high potential for Sea of Green. Density, structure, trichome coverage of Durga Mata. Pistils, citric/tropical smell and flavor, trippy face-melting from the Zamaldelica. Silver patina from Orion. Finishes 9 to 10 weeks.

Aurora Indica x Zamaldelica

So-so indoor plants. The Aurora Indica plant I used was one of less representative phenotypes. Classic Christmas tree shape outside with long running colas of moderate size and disappointing density, but with a one-of-a-kind, very intense high and weird fruity flavor.

With Zamaldelica in the mix, the plant replicated its form to my dismay. Bud density was the same as the AI, pistils more like the Zamaldelica. Came out smelling softly fruity and sort of creamy. Slightly reminiscent of cantaloupes. The high is rather incapacitating at first on this one but mellows out into a sleppy/dreamy experience soon after.

So in my, again very limited, experience Zamaldelica tends to pass on a formidable and immediate cerebral edge to the high, tends to augment the terpenes of the other parent but never dominate, and tends not to lend many of its structural features to the progeny, either in the plant or the flowers. The one exception is in the pistils and in some individual progeny the characteristics of the trichomes.

I am going to dip back into the freezer and see if I can get some of that 9 month old pollen to make some babies with a Durban I have in about week 4 right now.

Top notch plant to grow and breed with no doubt.
Thank you for posting that. It was extremely helpful and something all us pollen chuckers should log here when we're testing our hybrids from known genetics as finding out which traits get passed on before we even order seeds would be invaluable to us all. :good:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi green-genes77,

I'm glad to hear you have had good experiences when using Zamaldelica for your own crosses, and that overall she improves the effects in the hybrids without adding long flowering times, lanky structures or bad indoor adaptability.

Your feedback is much appreciated! :yes:

nksv

So I've popped Kali China/Nep Jam, Panama, Tikal, Panama/Malawi and Apollo 11 (bodhi) all with the intention to cross with the mighty Zamaldelica! It's all so far away and I cannot wait!
One week till I harvest the Orient Express/Zamaldelica - this one is smelling INCREDIBLE, spicy mango deliciousness.

Koondense

Veteran
These are gonna be some great crosses nksv :)

I rubbed the stem of my Zamaldelica x KaliChina for the first time yesterday(she's in early flowering) and I must say the smell is something I never experienced before.
A mix of strong lime, strawberry bubblegum and lemongrass. What an incredible combo :D

I really must succeed in cloning this lady, she seems to be a very special smelling one.

Cheers

nksv

These are gonna be some great crosses nksv :)

I rubbed the stem of my Zamaldelica x KaliChina for the first time yesterday(she's in early flowering) and I must say the smell is something I never experienced before.
A mix of strong lime, strawberry bubblegum and lemongrass. What an incredible combo :D

I really must succeed in cloning this lady, she seems to be a very special smelling one.

Cheers

wow! sounds amazing!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
So I've popped Kali China/Nep Jam, Panama, Tikal, Panama/Malawi and Apollo 11 (bodhi) all with the intention to cross with the mighty Zamaldelica! It's all so far away and I cannot wait!
One week till I harvest the Orient Express/Zamaldelica - this one is smelling INCREDIBLE, spicy mango deliciousness.

Excellent selection of genetics nksv :yes: They all have tons of potential to produce something special when they are outcrossed with a special Zamaldelica parental plant. We have already produced Zamaldelica x Kali China and Zamaldelica x Panama hybrids and the initial tests are very promising.

Please, keep us updated!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran

Cheers

Sounds delicious Koondense :yummy: Outstanding terpenes are one of my main goals with the new Zamaldelica x Kali China hybrid, good resin production, short/moderate flowering time and size and well focused desirable hybrid effect as well, but remarkable terpenes first.

nksv

Excellent selection of genetics nksv :yes: They all have tons of potential to produce something special when they are outcrossed with a special Zamaldelica parental plant. We have already produced Zamaldelica x Kali China and Zamaldelica x Panama hybrids and the initial tests are very promising.

Please, keep us updated!

Thanks Dubi, I intend to! Just found today that the Thai Zamaldelica I thought was female turned out to be a male! I am actually really happy as he has wonderful vigour, classic Thai look and beautiful structure and clones easy. I'm going to set him up with my beautiful Satori, Tikal, Panama/Malawi etc...woo!