What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Organic media & amendment suppliers in the UK

thanks jaded i looked on the website but couldnt see it on there, but i pop in and see if they stock it. Most of the big stores seem to be steering away from peat as all the compost seems to be either peat reduced or peat free

C

Carbon.Chains

Another one for the Danes:
vilhelm-hansen.dk
bentonite, vermiculite, zeolite
Their contact form doesn't work, send them an e-mail.
There's also a wide range of chemicals if there's any amateur chemist on icmag.

And a last one:
http://baalteknik.dk/
Natural charcoal, vermiculite

Digging through google always yields interesting results after a while.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BUMP!

looking for UK or Europe suppliers for Micro5000 and Ca25. or equivalent products

thanks

VG

OrganicMechanik

Soil Recipe Help

Soil Recipe Help

Hi VG :tiphat:

ive been away for a while and am back on a different profile about to embark on a new project , weve chatted in the past, i had a hard drive crash a while back and have lost the soil recipe i had from you in the past it was amazing! i remember all the ingredients just not the ratios. oh and if you have made any amendments in the past couple of years please update me! heres the ingredients i can remember:

Worm castings
peat
topsoil
spent mushroom compost
perlite
rock phosphate
Bat guano High N & P
Dolomite Lime

if your still using high N and P guanos any idea on where you can source them in the uk?

Thanks for your time and help hope all is well

Peace.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi OM
i'm recycling my soil these days, mix is similar though

the proportions are
30% peat
30% perlite
20% topsoil
10% worm castings
10% compost

5g/litre rock phosphate, seaweed meal
3g/litre dolomite lime, gypsum

5g/litre P guano
2-4g/litre N guano

the guanos can be hard to get, check ebay, but i use neem seed meal now at 5g/litre which mostly replaces the N guano, i maybe use 1g/litre each recycly now

the P guano you could probably replace with bonemeal

neems seed meal is a good fert and stops any gnats or root aphids. there is a website to get it posted in this thread somewhere

VG

OrganicMechanik

thanks!

something i forgot that i used before was coconut coir? any reasons why you dont use this anymore? does it not recycle very well?

thanks for the tip on the neem seed meal, i can get high p guanos so ill just replace the N guano with the neem seed meal thats a great idea!

cant wait to get my hands dirty again :)

peace

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice find! There are a few good articles on the website too, L. serum and such. Prices are very reasonable, I need to find something like that in Kanata.

J

jaded1

Stay away from the tnc mycos,they only have 10 spores per gram and are a complete waste of money!!

Buddyy

hello
any european websites that sell rock dust?
alfalfa....can I just buy this in a health food store? does it come in different forms like seeds, meal? are they used the same?
I found a good site kelp4free.com which had a great variety of amendments especially for cannabis but shipping from the US costs like $60!! Like the LED I ordered...cost $300 + 100 for shipping! on top of this it got withheld by customs who asked for another 100euros till they let me have it.

Buddyy

what are some viable substitutes for rock dust?. I am starting a no till living organic soil setup so am looking for various ingredients....half of these amendments I have never heard of, have no idea how to translate into my native language and have no idea where i would buy so any more websites would be much appreciated (something like kelp4free.com), maybe some german, dutch or spanish based sites anybody??

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Granite dust, from a fabricator shop, is a reasonable substitute I believe. Many recipies rely on ingredients hard to source outside of North America, but there are simpler ones with inputs that are easily substituted or adjusted to local ingredients.

rik78

Veteran
check Garden Centers, Landscating bussines and Nurseries, at least in Germany and Spain they carry a good amount of ammends.

I got two brands of Rock Dust, (different colour too) from two different places

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
What a great thread. I was looking through all the US organic threads and wondering where to start sourcing this stuff in the UK.. All I had to do was look up and see the sticky! Props to Verdant and jaded for getting the ball rolling..

Got a couple of questions. I've been growing organic since I can remember with only a few chem grows in the beginning in 95'. I've generally always used either bought organic soils which is VERY hit and miss. Bought a load of organic New Horizon last season for outdoor grow/general gardening and it sucked. Was hardly cooked.. Found it was infested with insects etc.

At the moment I'm using mycos (unfortunately rootgrow - thanks for the tip on the spore count, won't be buying it again), Plant Magic Oldtimer range with their bio silicon, root stimulator plus biocanna bloom stim. In the past I've used the biocanna and Plant Magic ranges to great effect with light organic soils. Also have done ultra budget grows using soluble comfrey and seaweed (not the best results but quite fun)..

The reason I've gone with all the bottles in the past is that all their ingredients (or so they claim) comes from plant material and not animal. With Verdants soil recipe is it possible to find something to replace the worm castings and blood/bone? I see the guano has been replaced with neem seed so that's cool. As the worm castings are pretty strong ferts I'm wondering if it's possible to find a veg replacement..

Thanks for any ideas. Not sure if I'll do a soil yet as still have quite a bit of PM Oldtimer left but for a future reference this is useful..

Buddyy

rik78 are you talking bricks and mortar or internet? Could you elaborate on whereabouts you got your rock dust?
I got a reply from gardendirect.co.uk, their charge for shipping to central europe was 28pounds which is not much less than the 56USD quoted from kelp4free...

I have a question...Is rock potash and rock phosphate anything like rock dust?

yo buddyy rock dust is heavy stuff cost a lot to ship b&q sell rock dust you can get a lot of amendments like fish meal oyster shell and crab or krill meal at fishing shops or sites also a lot of stuff i get from "the organic garden catalogue" its uk based rock dust is for trace minerals where as rock potash and phosphate are used for there nutrient content i.e. P and K try garden centres to a lot stock kelp meal worm casts and bone meal and the like
peace bob

Stonecutter

Fytocell

Fytocell

I just wanted to bring some attention to Fytocell as an alternative to Perlite. I am just starting to use it, so I will try to update with some experience.

As far as I can see, the advantage is simply that it is bio-degradeable. There is also a question whether non degrading perlite is really a problem in terms of organics/sustainability.

Just putting it out there...

R

raspaul

Quality info for us UK organic growers, just want to mention bucket of worms again if you don,t have a worm farm yourself these are by far the best quality EWC I've bought and if you email them they'll put in bags instead of tubs and knock some money of the weight for delivery this is good if your buying large amounts, I buy it 100 litres a time.
blessed
raspaul