Forums > Marijuana Growing > Indoor Grows - Hydro > Newbie wants to go hydro

Thread Title Search
Click for great deals at MB Ferts
Newbie wants to go hydro Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 PM #1
repoocbd

repoocbd is on a distinguished road
Newbie wants to go hydro

Alright so I have completed one soil grow semi successfully and wanted to experiment in hydro. I have two major questions since I am not willing to go buy a premade setup or the stuff I need to make my own. I am poor atm so give me a break :P Anyhow here are the questions. Can I just get a non clear shallow bucket with water at the bottom and then drain and refill with fresh water periodaclly or do I have to have a pump cycling water all the time? Next I know that hydro ferts have the trace elements most soil ferts don't have, but the miracle grow fert I have lists almost all the trace elements it says specifically:
Nitrogen 18%
Phosphate 18%
Soluble Potash 21%
Magnesium 0.5%
Copper 0.05%
Iron 0.1%
Manganese 0.05%
Zinc 0.05%

So could I use this stuff in my water for a hydro grow? And if so would I just use the package recomended dosage? If not are hydro ferts expensive? Compared to this stuff which is $5 1.5 pounds that lasts forever in a small indoor grow. Thanks for any advice on this and if any one can shoot me a link to a cheap simple no pump needed hydro setup that would be awesome too.
repoocbd is offline Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 11:52 PM #2
Deft
Get two birds stoned at once

Deft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the roughDeft is a jewel in the rough
Check out my DWC thread in my signature. It was my first and was well better than expected, smoking on it now.

Don't use miracle grow, do get a ph meter and ppm meter (ph meters are more expensive and are touchy and need recalibration more). I'd recommend buying just flora nova flower and using it, that's what I did and its fool proof mixing wise and works well, you only need the flowering nute even for veg (its the lucas formula in one bottle).

DWC is stupid easy, easier than soil IMO and the increased speed and yield make up for the cost of nutes.

So yea I'd do dwc first and get these things... PH meter, ppm meter, flora nova bloom, PH down/up, hydroton, few net pots, air pump and stone sized appropriately, aquarium thermometer stick on strip to tell your buckets temp at a glance.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:11 AM #3
mpd
Lammen Gorthaur

mpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to beholdmpd is a splendid one to behold
Listen to deft, he's got this down. You don't want to use MiracleGro for anything other than dirt grows.

DWC is the way to go. It was made for retarded fuckers like me. If I can do it, you can excel at it; bank on it.

MPD's Ultimate Super Stealth DIY Fan Muffler Construction Project

Please PM me if you suffer chronic migraine headaches. I have research to share.
mpd is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 AM #4
Pharma Geddon

Pharma Geddon is on a distinguished road
I've got passive hydro down to being meter free and use ro water instead. 22 litres of ro water, 40ml of GH micro, 80ml of GH bloom and 15ml of Liquid Silicon. Give them 1 litre a day while in veg (seed plants not young clones) and 2 litres a day in flower. 11 litre pots or hempy buckets made from household buckets, 10 to 15 litres.

100% perlite works, as does the usual 3 to 1 p/v mix but I get the best results from using Fytocell. Feeding every day has the runoff automatically flush them.

Wasteful in nutes I know but it does make for a stress-free grower. No measuring ec or pH, no transplanting, no problems. (Sometimes a spot of rust on the larger plants if I miss feeding for a night or two.) And they say soil is easiest.
Pharma Geddon is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 AM #5
Blunt_69
the keeper of the creeper

Blunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
So yea I'd do dwc first and get these things... PH meter, ppm meter, flora nova bloom, PH down/up, hydroton, few net pots, air pump and stone sized appropriately, aquarium thermometer stick on strip to tell your buckets temp at a glance.
excellent advise.

The trays are for you my freind cheap to build and run(check signature!), check em out and PM me if you have any questions..

Oh for nutes. this is easy to cheapest most effective is lucas you buy GH micro and GH bloom. thats it 2 base nutes. Or as mentioned floronova bloom.

Mix it 8ml micro 16ml bloom per gallon, your golden.You will also need a bloom enhancer to use in flower like GH kool bloom.(gh = General Hydroponics) I also Highly recommend ppm and ph meters, however they are a small investment.. I know what your saying with limited funds. Using lucas, if you flush and fill every 3-4 days. no problem. The trays are super stable I dont run to waste at all. I recirculate and adjust based on ppm/ph meter readings

It is more expensive intially to go into, but you will yeild more, so in the end you come out ahead!
Blunt_69 is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 06:42 AM #6
repoocbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft View Post
Check out my DWC thread in my signature. It was my first and was well better than expected, smoking on it now.

Don't use miracle grow
Ok thanks to all who responded, but three things since I am a newb and all
1. I don't know what DWC stands for, or what it is. I will be reading Deft's post about it after this reply,
2. I don't know what GH is. I am sure it is a brand of fertilizer, but I have no idea what brand that is.
3. I am trying to do this with stuff I already have in my apartment. If absolutely necasary I do have an old fish tank pump/filter, but I dont have any tubing. I would prefer to just use something like a bucket with water at the bottom that I change out 2 times a day. If that is possible do I always use nutrient rich water or no?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:36 PM #7
Standaman

Standaman will become famous soon enoughStandaman will become famous soon enough
Its Deep Water Culture and General Hydroponics it's a common brand so i'm seeing on here anyway.
Good luck
Standaman is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 PM #8
Blunt_69
the keeper of the creeper

Blunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the roughBlunt_69 is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like you need to do some reading. Start with the top threads and go from there. Hydro neds to be planned out properly if you are to succeed. Good luck
Blunt_69 is offline Quote

Old 05-09-2009, 07:55 PM #9
ogatec

Quote:
Originally Posted by repoocbd View Post
I would prefer to just use something like a bucket with water at the bottom that I change out 2 times a day. If that is possible do I always use nutrient rich water or no?

yes you can do this, but if you forget to change the water out 1 time its dead plants from drown roots....much easier to use an air pump.

i dunno, it seems like you would be better off in soil untill you are ready tp make some investments in the proper equipment.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:26 PM #10
repoocbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogatec View Post
yes you can do this, but if you forget to change the water out 1 time its dead plants from drown roots....much easier to use an air pump.

i dunno, it seems like you would be better off in soil untill you are ready tp make some investments in the proper equipment.
Yeah sounds like I will need to wait till I can invest in more I may try the bucekt idea jsut as an experiment, not sure yet. Thanks for the advice