What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Nutrient Burn at Low Nutrient Concentration?

swimman

5 Gallon soil grow
40/40/20 ProMix-Perlite-EWC Mix w/ 1.5tbsp dolomite per gallon of soil
Slow growing, even slower drinking (watered once in the last three weeks without signs of drooping)
Recently given Botanicare nutrients as follows per gallon @ pH 6.5

5.5ml Pro Grow
2.5ml Cal-Mag
7.5ml Liquid Karama
2ml Hygrozyme

Showing tip burn on newer growth as well as some clawing and twisting. They're small, probably 12-16 inches in height with 4 shoots each.

Prior to this watering all they've received is plain tap since transplant. I don't understand what could be causing their sensitivity.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Let's see a pic or two.

Yellowing leaves/funky stems?

I don't see much micro-nutrient presence in this recipe...CalMg is a bit low

pH is a tick high for my preference but 6.5 isn't shooting the moon. For botanicare, I roll between 5.8 and 6.4 for the life of the plant.

How were the roots looking when you transplanted them?

And which pro-mix blend are you using? EWC goes a long way anyway but your pro-mix might have some other amendments already. A lot of pro-mix blends are heavier in peat moss than others and behave differently than potting soil.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Showing tip burn on newer growth

This is what would make me think to up the calmg and add some micro-nutrients.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Check your promix ppm. There has been some batches from around july with abnormally high ppm straight out of the bag. Im not sure what is in it to cause the high ppm, ive seen 1400ppm when it use to be around 400 for last 10 years or so. This was promix hp.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Promix is all over the place.

Add gypsum real quick. In 5 gallons, you can easily add 100 grams of gypsum.

There is no phosphorus in your program. Some soluble P would help, bone meal would help a lot.

If it is taking forever to dryout, your mix is way too heavy.

swimman

Let's see a pic or two.

Yellowing leaves/funky stems?

I don't see much micro-nutrient presence in this recipe...CalMg is a bit low

pH is a tick high for my preference but 6.5 isn't shooting the moon. For botanicare, I roll between 5.8 and 6.4 for the life of the plant.

How were the roots looking when you transplanted them?

And which pro-mix blend are you using? EWC goes a long way anyway but your pro-mix might have some other amendments already. A lot of pro-mix blends are heavier in peat moss than others and behave differently than potting soil.

What worries me about adding more CalMag is that it has 2% N and I'm seeing clawing which indicates a N overdose.

I'm just using standard Pro Mix, not the amended variety.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Use epsom salt for mag problems. It only has additional sulfur (magnesium sulfate) which is also used by cannabis for terpene production. Good stuff. :) Most 'burn' I've experienced (and I pretty much only use low nutrient strengths) happens because of pH problems.

swimman

Promix is all over the place.

Add gypsum real quick. In 5 gallons, you can easily add 100 grams of gypsum.

There is no phosphorus in your program. Some soluble P would help, bone meal would help a lot.

If it is taking forever to dryout, your mix is way too heavy.

PBP grow has 3-2-4 so it does have some P.

What would Gypsum do for me?

The water uptake issue is a bit puzzling to me. When transplanted from their 1 gallon trade pots to the 5 gallon pots, they were quite root bound and had a vibrant root system. It seems it never expanded into the new soil, as the soil around it is very loose. It's also not absorbing moisture very well from what I've noticed.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What worries me about adding more CalMag is that it has 2% N and I'm seeing clawing which indicates a N overdose.

I'm just using standard Pro Mix, not the amended variety.

I would argue you should take a soil analysis and figure it out, correctly. But in the meantime...

Apply epsoms at a .8% solution foliarly. NOT TO the soil. That will help you shed some N.

Apply gypsum or low fat milk to the soil to get an available Ca quickly.

Do you have a ppm meter? Can you do a slurry test?

Get a P source, ideally phosphoric acid. What do you have available? Earthjuice has a good 0-5-3. I would prefer no K (the 3) if possible. A good liquid bone meal maybe?

prune

Veteran
if you have twelve inch plants in a five gallon pot, and you water to runoff you're doing it wrong. that's almost enough water to last until flowering...

Buddler

Veteran
5 Gallon soil grow
40/40/20 ProMix-Perlite-EWC Mix w/ 1.5tbsp dolomite per gallon of soil
Slow growing, even slower drinking (watered once in the last three weeks without signs of drooping)
Recently given Botanicare nutrients as follows per gallon @ pH 6.5

5.5ml Pro Grow
2.5ml Cal-Mag
7.5ml Liquid Karama
2ml Hygrozyme

Showing tip burn on newer growth as well as some clawing and twisting. They're small, probably 12-16 inches in height with 4 shoots each.

Prior to this watering all they've received is plain tap since transplant. I don't understand what could be causing their sensitivity.
i'll bet that dolomite you added is burning them also can raise ph of peat base plus your supplemeting cal mag and pro mix has dolomite already

Latest posts

Latest posts