What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Generator fumes effect taste and smell?

i had a power outage and had a generator running over night. Since the power has returned i have let the place air out to avoid all the carbon monoxide etc however im wondering if my drying product is going to be effected.. there is a smell... like dirt bike fumes... is it going to linger? is this going to effect my final product

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
depends on how dirty the generator runs, air it out, cure the buds well and hope for the best.

a poorly tuned generator might put unburnt fuel in the air, but realistically you should be fine.

iTarzan

It will have the Chem D fuel taste.

Is the lingering smell on the buds? Or just in the room?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
There is (was?) a dispensary in an area around L.A. I went to around 10 years ago. I picked up some of the "Trainwreck" they grew there. As I was leaving through the alley, right by the dispensary, I saw their 'grow' through the chainlink privacy fence. LOL the flowers tasted like car and truck exhaust, from the large amount of traffic going by all day. Super gross. Cannabis absorbs an amazing number of things from the air.

Rube has it correct, you're going to have to air it out and hope for the best. Anyone with more than a few tastebuds is going to taste exhaust, not sourD. Is there any way to move the generator 'outside' of the grow? Perhaps to prevent this in the future?

If it was only a night I wouldn’t be too concerned but over time yes you will def have a lingering smell and taste on the buds. Sit in a garage for like an hour with a gen running (even with the exhaust outside) and you and your clothes will still reak of off-road diesel fumes. The plants are taking those fumes in...

The effect of the generator has affected you already.

I understand that I'm just wondering to what extent

My power outage was for 4 days.. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my plants with no light, heat etc for any longer hence the generator so I could do SOMETHING and ease my mind in regards to my crop but the down fall is now the fumes on my drying buds but like my original comment said I only had the generator going one night and then had power again..so.. time will tell I guess

Not sure what other options I would have had if the outage were to be longer.. obviously next time I'll have to move some things around or remove some things in general and be more on the ball.. stress got the best of me

If you can air them outside.

Place them in a container with holes and hide it somewhere.

I do have some big bins.. good idea thanks

Side note/ how do you "find a post helpful" I've always noticed this on the bottom of comments occasionally but i don't see how to do it? Is it a feature available when you're no longer a noob?

troutman

Seed Whore
I do have some big bins.. good idea thanks

Side note/ how do you "find a post helpful" I've always noticed this on the bottom of comments occasionally but i don't see how to do it? Is it a feature available when you're no longer a noob?

If you see this Did you find this post helpful? at the bottom of a post click yes.

You can also click the little middle icon at the bottom left of the post if you want to leave a comment on that person's profile.

There's 3 little icons at the bottom left of each post under a user name.

The furthest to the left is a neon green if the person is online.

The furthest to the right is to report the post.

M

moose eater

Couple, of side notes.

Typically, as long as the soil (??) isn't overly wet or dry, a 4-day period with no light won't do much harm; bit more lighter color in the growing tips or buds is what I've seen from such things.

If you anticipate future outages, and wish for a good, energy-efficient alternative, AND it's YOUR HOME, penetrate an exterior wall carefully, near to where your make-up power needs to run from, with a drill that won't turn your fiberglass or other insulation into a rats' nest, and drill through the wall, being very careful to avoid any wiring, & avoiding going directly through a stud the full thickness, etc. creating a penetration minimally larger in diameter than a healthy, all-weather, well-insulated (preferably with UV, etc., resistant sheathing) 12/3 cord. Make a shorter pig-tail/pass-through cord with 12/3 wire (as described above) long enough to give you ~6" or so to the inside of the structure/wall, and 6" to the outside, and place weather-resistant, hefty-duty grounded male plug on the outside end of the cord, and heavy-duty grounded female on the inside end of the cord.

You can seal and afix the exterior cord end to the structure at the penetration with an exterior-grade 50-year silicone adhesive/sealant.

Then repair your vapor barrier and sheet rock near your penetration; you'll need to cut and chip away some of the sheet rock on the interior wall without further damaging the vapor barrier surrounding your hole, and after taping and sealing the vapor barrier to your cord and around the penetration, then repair your sheet-rock.

You can now hook up to the pig-tail outside with a short 12/3 cord to your generator, and run a safe 12/3 (or what ever diam. cord/wire you need), of what ever length cord inside, to what ever you're firing up. No fumes. no fuss, no muss.

I have the benefit of a make-up barometric air vent (due to the structure being seriously tight, vapor-barrier-wise), and I snake a LONG-ASS 12/3 from an out-building in through the make-up air vent, and run what ever is necessary during extended outages.

Good luck.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

If you see this Did you find this post helpful? at the bottom of a post click yes.

You can also click the little middle icon at the bottom left of the post if you want to leave a comment on that person's profile.

There's 3 little icons at the bottom left of each post under a user name.

The furthest to the left is a neon green if the person is online.

The furthest to the right is to report the post.

That was a helpful post about finding posts helpful, troutman. :)

That was a helpful post about finding posts helpful, troutman. :)

You've all been helpful!

For some reason I don't have the option to "find post helpful" etc maybe because I've always accessed the website from a cell or tablet.. oh well!

Anyways thanks for the pointers, I for sure could have set something up to run my generator outside but it is not my place of residents and didn't want to risk someone snagging it ya know
Trial and error I guess.. hopefully it was the last outages I'll have to deal with for awhile

Every year there a news report where somone has died from running a generator indoors.
Good thing plants produce oxygen i guess