What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Magnesium deficiency at week 3-4 flower

Raven12141517

I am guessing this to be a mag deficiency, but would like to be certain before treating. Strains are Holy Grail Kush, Kandy Kush, and Euforia. I am in 5 gal buckets with soil that was recycled and reamended with rabbit poo bedding mix composted roughly 2 months into the soil prior to planting, Garden Tone was ammended into the soil prior to transplanting into 5 gal buckets from 1 gal pots. Vegged from seed roughly 8 weeks under 8 bulb 4' T5 until placed under 1000w HPS Oct. 4th. Plants are about 2'-2 1/2' wide and about 18"-24" tall. Transplanted into 5 gal buckets and added 2/3 cup Garden Tone on 9-11. Gave a banana peel tea around Oct. 6th. The big fan leaves on 1 Kandy girl went yellow all the way up and down the stalk. I top dressed again with 2/3 c Garden Tone and 1/4 c EWC on Tuesday working this into the top 1" or so of soil. My assumption is the K from the tea caused the mg to depleat quickly causing a def. Should I water with a tsp per gal water to give them a boost? Also, was going to reapply another banana peel and EWC aerated tea next week since I am only week 3-4 on most. Here is a pic of the lightest one in color. Leaves began to droop like she was underwatered, the lightened in color. After the topdress color began to improve, but the leaves began to curl up at the tips. Then yesterday after a water the leaves began to fold like a canoe. Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

Attachments

• 20171026_201252_15090647090991.jpg
    20171026_201252_15090647090991.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20171024_132451_15088718572331.jpg
    20171024_132451_15088718572331.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Kandy Kush Week 4.jpg
    Kandy Kush Week 4.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Euforia Week 4.jpg
    Euforia Week 4.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 14

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
I had the same mg deficiency going and I am also impatient so I foliar sprayed the leaves with a weak cal-mag-plus solution and it greened right up in a day or so. A weak solution of epson salts will also work if it is only mg. Of course the older leaves with the worst deficiency are gone, but the new growth should be fine. Don't spray the buds though. An old nursery trick is to cover up the buds with a bowl of a spoon so the spray doesn't get on them.

Raven12141517

I had the same mg deficiency going and I am also impatient so I foliar sprayed the leaves with a weak cal-mag-plus solution and it greened right up in a day or so. A weak solution of epson salts will also work if it is only mg. Of course the older leaves with the worst deficiency are gone, but the new growth should be fine. Don't spray the buds though. An old nursery trick is to cover up the buds with a bowl of a spoon so the spray doesn't get on them.

Thanks man. I was planning on doing 1 tsp to the gal. I will def try the spoon trick. Thanks.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
That is a phosphorus deficiency. The Mg deficiency is the consequence.

When you apply Mg, nitrogen is pushed out of the plant. Very very few folks need Mg. If you need Mg, it is usually do to way too much K.

Last edited:

Raven12141517

That is a phosphorus deficiency. The Mg deficiency is the consequence.

When you apply Mg, nitrogen is pushed out of the plant. Very very few folks need Mg. If you need Mg, it is usually do to way too much K.

Thanks a ton! I was very unaware of that! After waiting a good week from the 2/3 c Garden Tone and EWC they seem to be coming around again. I planned on giving another EWC tea, (1/2 c ewc, 1 tbsp raw honey, 2 gal ro water), tomorrow to help keep those microbes alive and well for the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated man. This is only my 2nd indoor grow. I tried synthetics last time with shit yield, but decent smoke. I had grown outdoors 2 other times as well, but used only rabbit shit on both grows. I am trying to be as self sustainable as can be now. 100% organic all the way.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks a ton! I was very unaware of that! After waiting a good week from the 2/3 c Garden Tone and EWC they seem to be coming around again. I planned on giving another EWC tea, (1/2 c ewc, 1 tbsp raw honey, 2 gal ro water), tomorrow to help keep those microbes alive and well for the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated man. This is only my 2nd indoor grow. I tried synthetics last time with shit yield, but decent smoke. I had grown outdoors 2 other times as well, but used only rabbit shit on both grows. I am trying to be as self sustainable as can be now. 100% organic all the way.

I am an organic farmer/agronomist. Might I suggest you start reading this thread. Maybe start at the end...

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation - Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331317

Raven12141517

Absolutely! I am all about learning! I am currently working on composting chicken and duck manuer. 1 bin just chicken, and the other just duck. Both have pine shavings in them though. Also currently getting my worm bin set up. I have a lot to learn still though. I am also currently reading "Teaming With Microbes". I did the noob thing and jumped the gun with this grow. Live, learn, and adjust!

Raven12141517

I am an organic farmer/agronomist. Might I suggest you start reading this thread. Maybe start at the end...

Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation - Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=331317

So, I went to try to read that thread, starting at the end, however I cannot get past page 331 of 336. I did however discover the source of my problem here. It even got worse. I added another banan peel tea after things started looking better, but before I saw your post about excessive K locking out P and now their looking bad again. Any advice on how I correct this this late in flower? Week 4-5 going into week 5-6? Also, have a bad spiter nite infestation going on.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, I went to try to read that thread, starting at the end, however I cannot get past page 331 of 336. I did however discover the source of my problem here. It even got worse. I added another banan peel tea after things started looking better, but before I saw your post about excessive K locking out P and now their looking bad again. Any advice on how I correct this this late in flower? Week 4-5 going into week 5-6? Also, have a bad spiter nite infestation going on.

A good phosphorus source.....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would making aerated tea with mushroom compost help? I think I remember in "Teaming with Microbes" that fungus helped with P availability.

Dude,

You don't have time to be waiting on microbes mining....

I believe in microbiology, but as you can see from so many grows it is like icing on a cake. If you didn't make the cake well, you can try and make up for it with extra icing. It will still be a lousy cake.

Raven12141517

Dude,

You don't have time to be waiting on microbes mining....

I believe in microbiology, but as you can see from so many grows it is like icing on a cake. If you didn't make the cake well, you can try and make up for it with extra icing. It will still be a lousy cake.

Can you recomend a way for me to get P to my plant? Sorry, I am not really finding anything organic that is redily available. I do have some Bonide Tripple Super Phosphate 0-45-0. I am aware of the rediculous ammount of P. With the deficiency however, would I be ok to use a small dose? Say 1/8-1/4 recommended ammnt maybe?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you recomend a way for me to get P to my plant? Sorry, I am not really finding anything organic that is redily available. I do have some Bonide Tripple Super Phosphate 0-45-0. I am aware of the rediculous ammount of P. With the deficiency however, would I be ok to use a small dose? Say 1/8-1/4 recommended ammnt maybe?

Triple would work fine!

Latest posts

Latest posts