What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED FROM COSTCO.

Im not part of the kool kids club huh? Oh well!

Attachments

• 0420171941c.jpg
    0420171941c.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Good results so far. However i need to realize i may need to back these particular bulbs back more from the plants than a cfl for example! They are super brite @ 4 on at once!

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Those 15 watt bulbs are about the same as a 23 watt CFL or an 18" T5. The spectrum curve will show a higher portion of green, within limits adding green makes the light appear brighter to human eyes while keeping the color rendition. Residential lights are more efficiently bright this way. It does not hurt plants but the lights are not as bright to them as they seem to us.

I find the 5000K color temperature ideal for clones and veg. It will work for buds but they will be less dense because it is hard to put enough light into one spot with the diffuse beams from A19 bulb shapes.

A small (7"-9") aluminum reflector around each bulb will more than double the light hitting the plant. I buy the inexpensive clamp on lights for six bucks each at Lowes or Home Depot. When I had a day job and children at home a paper plate with a hole in the middle was fitted around the bulbs, even that helped quite a bit.

n_d_ledz

Just curious, why did you leave the plastic dome caps on? The benefits of using these bulbs will not be fully realized as long as those caps are on. Removing it creates more of a "spot light" effect rather than an illuminated globe that lights a space.

Check out that off the shelf Led thread that Blynx has, the info in there leaves little to question as to the best way to use the LED bulbs.

Alright thankyou! I only left the plastic on out of ignorance! I appreciate your help gentlemen! I dont know that ill need to go to his thread with the help ive recieved so far yeah?

n_d_ledz

Alright thankyou! I only left the plastic on out of ignorance! I appreciate your help gentlemen! I dont know that ill need to go to his thread with the help ive recieved so far yeah?

Not necessary at all, but it is the only source I have found with the amount of information regarding these bulb types.

Distance to bulb, ways to increase coverage and other things that may be good for you to know are hidden in that thread, most can be found thumbing through the first 20 pages.

n_d_ledz

Ok ill be taking off the plastic and watching the diff! That thread was great until folks came to argue or complain! Lol.

Yeah, you will be hard pressed to find any thread here that doesnt end up going that same way. Everybody has a different idea of what works best, and in general we just want what works and to do the best we can with it, lol

20 bulbs

20 bulbs

Got 20 of em! Seems legit after reading that thread. Cant wait to see how this works. I wanted to ask.....is it ok that a bit of the plastic is still glued to the housing? I didnt wanna torque on em anymore than needed. Thanks!

Attachments

• 0421171549.jpg
    0421171549.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 0421171549a.jpg
    0421171549a.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0421171549b.jpg
    0421171549b.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12

n_d_ledz

Should not matter at all about that bit of plastic....it was there as an enclosed unit :)

Those look good and should appear ALOT brighter now!!!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I've tried to take off the plastic from home depot led's... (cree bulbs)... couldn't get em off.... don't wanta break the bulb...HELP...

n_d_ledz

I've tried to take off the plastic from home depot led's... (cree bulbs)... couldn't get em off.... don't wanta break the bulb...HELP...

I use a hacksaw to cut a 2" line in the plastic globe just above the hard plastic holder. Then take a screwdriver, press at the connection of the 2 parts just below the line i cut. Once that edge is loose, it pulls right off.

There are many methods mentioned in Blynx's thread. Its worth looking into just for an idea you feel most comfortable with.

Wowwie!!!!!

Wowwie!!!!!

Well well well, they gotta be uppotted and sent to the 14-10 cycle the tall ones! Yessir im excited!

Last edited:
Thx all

Thx all

Between the ground horsetail and the leds being cut open i swear they dbld in size in 48 hours! Last two pics are of before and after

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts